Netflix for Windows Media Center (NetflixMCE)

KerrAvon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix for Windows Media Center (NetflixMCE)

Post by KerrAvon » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:36 am

Hello All,

Marc Davis here (you know – the Amazon Addin Guy) with news of a new project. As the native Netflix Media Center app is not long for this world I have begun to look at what it would take to build a replacement that would have similar functionality. I have put together a project page describing the goals and current state of development. It would help me to know the community’s feelings and opinions about replacing the app and provide feedback when I release the beta. Please take a look at this page on my blog for all of the details and share this with the WMC community: http://sharepointsnapple.com/netflix-fo ... ia-center/

I will continue to update it as progress is made. I hope to have a Beta-quality release available sometime in November.

Thank you!

Marc

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Awesome project. I think many people would be happy to donate or pay for it, and not just WMC users but Kodi, Jriver, etc.
Not sure if you have seen this (now defunct) project, but it may give you some ideas. It worked very well, but I think there were problems whenever Netflix changed something on their page.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207262

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 pm

KerrAvon, thanks for doing this project I know we all would love to keep Netflix in WMC. Also if this goes well would you think it would be possible to adopt the code to a Hulu version as well? I would be more happy to donate and/or pay for the Netflix addin. I would also be more than happy to pay again for the hulu plugin as well if you do take the time to adopt the code. lol : D

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Very happy to see this, and will gladly donate and/or pay for this app... Did so for Amazon, and Netflix is far more important according to my family. :D

I think the key would be some sort of decent search, which got messy with the original plugin, and seemed tricky at Kodi.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:49 pm

I would love to see this and would be happy to donate

groovejumper

Post by groovejumper » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:06 am

So I had an account on the old old TGB, had signed up around 2003 (I think?)

Stop by here once in a while, had to finally set up an account to write this reply:

Would LOVE to see this! I'm hoping this would work for Canada as well, as the old add-in never did. Need a Canadian tester? would be happy to help.

g.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:29 am

This is looking awesome!

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:58 am

@Marc,
I just got my hands on an xbox360 recently, and I find myself wondering if there is a way to emulate it enough on MediaCenter to use the xbox360's downloadable add-ons/apps for: Netflix, Amazon Prime, hulu, Crackle, iHeartRadio, etc.
They would always be up to date and work well with a media center remote.

Keep up the good work, its appreciated!

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:30 pm

@Marc,
Looks like MS sent out an update and some how removed Netflix on my win7 PC again. Ran the latest Netflixrestore.zip file (i call it v1.1) and it worked, for now.

Looking forward to the new project for when they actual kill the current version off completely.
Thanks again.

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi Everyone - great news - the BETA version of the new Netflix for Windows Media Center app is now available! Follow this link to my blog for project details and the download link: http://sharepointsnapple.com/netflix-fo ... ia-center/

Please- if you do download the file I would appreciate feedback on how it worked - or didn't work. See the Release Notes for info on providing feedback.

Marc

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I've had a chance to play with the Beta version. Thanks for your work to get a remote friendly version of Netflix with WMC.

It installs great. Plays great. and the search works well.

Here are a few issues I found:
- Navigation of categories at the top only works if done slowly. The categories at the top shift and respond well when I move once and let it have a chance to shift. If I quickly move through the categories the red bar moves off the screen and the categories don't shift anymore.
- When I search using my iPhone and there are no results, I get a script error.
- Back button doesn't do anything (It brings up the progress bar if watching something)
- The PLAY and PAUSE buttons don't do anything (ENTER toggles play and pause)

Controls working well:
- The shift forward and back are working fine for me.
- STOP takes me to "my list" and (and also stops playing if I'm watching something)

Question:
- Is there any way to close the browser when finished?

Thanks again for your work,
Dave

bshaf

Post by bshaf » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Thank you KerrAvon, this app has a lot of promise! I've installed and it runs great for the most part. I got a couple script errors when I pushed 'back' or the media center button.

Also, do you think it would be possible to have a 'resume' and a 'start from the beginning' button? Again, thank you for the great work. This could possible save my marriage, as the wife needs a better Netflix solution. (right now I use playon with Emby and its pretty unreliable).

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:57 pm

DaveinPA/bshaf,

Please check the PDF file included with the solution and send me the requested information in the feedback section - especially the plugin.log file and your brand/model of remotes.

Send to support@sharepointsnapple.com.

Thanks.

Marc

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Installed this last night for the wife. Worked Awesome!! Took a couple of minutes to figure out the navigation but once that was done we were good to go!!! I want to thank you for this and will get you a thank you donation!!!

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:36 pm

The 11-23-15 Beta version is working great for me. No issues. Remote control is functioning fine.

Thanks for the great work!

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:21 pm

DaveInPa wrote:I've had a chance to play with the Beta version. Thanks for your work to get a remote friendly version of Netflix with WMC.

It installs great. Plays great. and the search works well.

Here are a few issues I found:
- Navigation of categories at the top only works if done slowly. The categories at the top shift and respond well when I move once and let it have a chance to shift. If I quickly move through the categories the red bar moves off the screen and the categories don't shift anymore.
- When I search using my iPhone and there are no results, I get a script error.
- Back button doesn't do anything (It brings up the progress bar if watching something)
- The PLAY and PAUSE buttons don't do anything (ENTER toggles play and pause)

Controls working well:
- The shift forward and back are working fine for me.
- STOP takes me to "my list" and (and also stops playing if I'm watching something)

Question:
- Is there any way to close the browser when finished?

Thanks again for your work,
Dave
This is almost exactly the same for me.

Only thing I don't care for is the initial screen the comes up has no "continue watching" section. I use that a lot.

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:42 am

blupupher - are you running the latest build? all of those issues should be resolved in the latest version.

As for the Continue Watching screen - will work on that.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Donated, downloading, and will give this a try. Thanks Marc.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:Donated, downloading, and will give this a try. Thanks Marc.
Seems to be working well with my HP media Center, eHome Rcvr, and Harmony 700.

Although if I don't interact with it, the screensaver kicks in and kicks me out. Will have to adjust the screensaver timer and try it out some more.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Does your app allow for actual HD streams in Windows 7 or is it still resolution limited like the native WMC app and IE browser app?