Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:23 am

gbwelly wrote:Fortunately during removal of the GWX malware from my system I created a restore point on the 29th. Netflix still works without the RIP prompt with this restore point so it wasn't introduced earlier and lying dormant. I have blocked MCUpdate.exe from accessing the internet using windows firewall. For once the self sufficiency of living in an area with no guide support has been an advantage. Big Screen EPG will still happily import the guide even with MCUpdate.exe blocked from the internet. I presume this is either a F-You from Microsoft for not upgrading to Windows 10, or else part of their newfound obsession with killing Silverlight.
It might be due to Netflix killing silverlight in favor of HTML5. There will come a time Netflix will have no silverlight streams for you to watch. This could be in happening because of that.

Robert_9422

Post by Robert_9422 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:20 am

Does it mean that we can still keep using WMC to play netflix as long as we don't upgrade to windows 10?

I just got this set up on my main TV and find WMC the best way to view netflix as the remote control is easy to use with that setup.

If I can't watch netflix on WMC I will be cancelling my subscription to netflix and just watch the free stuff I can get from Kodi.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:09 pm

It almost seems like Microsoft is phasing out support for WMC. Is losing Netflix really that big a deal? It's a stagnant app and it's a better experience on just about every other device out there. Get over it. This is the reality of WMC.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:00 pm

Robert_9422 wrote:Does it mean that we can still keep using WMC to play netflix as long as we don't upgrade to windows 10?
No - nothing to do with 10 - it will be dead in 7 by that date.

Not sure what happened, but my icon is back, so I logged in and it still works. No one watches Netflix, so I won't renew it when it comes up in August.

processedmeat

Post by processedmeat » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm

So with this recent development, is there an all in one, 10 foot solution for watching live tv, recording tv and watching netflix?

If not, it's a shame since I also use Media browser for my library of Blu Ray rips and the Amazon prime plugin in WMC as well.

High WAF here!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm

processedmeat wrote:So with this recent development, is there an all in one, 10 foot solution for watching live tv, recording tv and watching netflix?

If not, it's a shame since I also use Media browser for my library of Blu Ray rips and the Amazon prime plugin in WMC as well.

High WAF here!
Nexus Player (or other Android TV) running Kodi. You will need to connect it to a "back end" though (either your current WMC or something else like NextPVR). I am really enjoying mine and am close to retiring my WMC, or at least relegating it to a server only role.

etc6849

Post by etc6849 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Unfortunately, I ran windows update last night and now get this message :(

Anyone know which update added this? I wonder if the support will remain or if Netflix is actually planning to remove the code from their servers that lets the interface work?

I'm really getting sick of M$. And no, there's no other option with all the features of WMC, a $60 magic box that does everything, etc...

Kodi and others may come close, but seem lacking as they don't support protected channel recording, bluray menus, 3d bluray support, etc...

I use WMC to:
1. Play bluray iso's (My Movies + TMT 6.1.7.199 + AnyDVD HD)
2. Play 2 channel and 5.1 channel flac files using WASAPI (Recode + WMP flac file plugin)
3. Receive messages of whose calling and when my doorbell rings (vmcontroller + custom home automation system)

There's also and SDK to add whatever you want, and there are no ads in the interface!

I also run WMC, flexraid and my home automation software all on one server too. No need to multiple devices (bluray player + stick + DVR + HA server + raid mass storage box).

I'm glad no one here is saying just get a amazon prime stick, etc... There really is no all in one replacement like WMC available. There's also no ads like you are destined to get with some of the stick options.

JaxChris

Post by JaxChris » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:09 am

Ed  wrote:It might be due to Netflix killing silverlight in favor of HTML5. There will come a time Netflix will have no silverlight streams for you to watch. This could be in happening because of that.
Correct answer. Technically Win10 launched 7/29. The reason for the 9/15/15 date is Netflix retiring Silverlight playback.

Our best shot is to see if we can persuade Marc Davis (Amazon Instant Video add-in) to make an add-in for Netflix using HTML5. It would require IE11 be installed. Hopefully Marc is still supporting the Amazon add-in, because Amazon is moving off of Silverlight by the end of year as well -- effectively killing off all streaming capabilities we've enjoyed on WMC. If he has the skills to do the same for Hulu and place all 3 in a single strip called "Streaming Media" that would be amazing.

How many want to pitch in to start a bounty program on this?

If not, then I guess it will be time to bug Silicon Dust for info on when their 5 or 6 stream ethernet cablecard tuner will be available and switch over to HDHR DVR.

I can't stand that WMC could continue running for another 10 years if people just leave what works alone. Instead they want to turn down services because only 25k people use WMC for more than DVD playback. It is the best product MS has made since WinXP and they never found a way to market it. They should've pushed OEM's to make living room PC's about the size of Mac Mini's (or twice the width to support PCI slots for internal tuners). Instead you had Dell & HP selling towers that offered a Hauppauge 1250 tuner option. I'm still running a Dell Studio 540S from 2008 for my HTPC. To this day, nothing touches the single interface experience. I just miss the days of great guide data, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, DVD & BluRay.

Even though I bought into HDHR DVR, I don't want to get a cablecard for every 3 tuners. I use 5 out of my 6 Ceton streams pretty regularly. You can't supply a "whole home DVR" system with just 3 streams. But I will invest in Nexus Players for every TV and a 4-bay NAS if Silicon Dust releases their 6 stream cablecard tuner.

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:11 am

etc6849 wrote:Unfortunately, I ran windows update last night and now get this message :(

Anyone know which update added this? I wonder if the support will remain or if Netflix is actually planning to remove the code from their servers that lets the interface work?

I'm really getting sick of M$. And no, there's no other option with all the features of WMC, a $60 magic box that does everything, etc...

Kodi and others may come close, but seem lacking as they don't support protected channel recording, bluray menus, 3d bluray support, etc...

I use WMC to:
1. Play bluray iso's (My Movies + TMT 6.1.7.199 + AnyDVD HD)
2. Play 2 channel and 5.1 channel flac files using WASAPI (Recode + WMP flac file plugin)
3. Receive messages of whose calling and when my doorbell rings (vmcontroller + custom home automation system)

There's also and SDK to add whatever you want, and there are no ads in the interface!

I also run WMC, flexraid and my home automation software all on one server too. No need to multiple devices (bluray player + stick + DVR + HA server + raid mass storage box).

I'm glad no one here is saying just get a amazon prime stick, etc... There really is no all in one replacement like WMC available. There's also no ads like you are destined to get with some of the stick options.

I agree, there is no all in one replacement for WMC. I have an Amazon Fire TV (which works great), a Blu-Ray player and Win7 WMC with MyMovies. I have been trying to use the HDHomerun DVR, but without a grid EPG, it's a no-go in my house. I've tried NextPVR and found it to be easy to configure and get running, but it's not quite there yet... for me. I'm now trying Media Portal, however, it seems to be a pain in the arse to setup.

I'm really going to miss the ease of use of WMC when it's gone.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:04 am

Have invested in the Kickstarter for the HDHR DVR and waiting for the Android client before testing. Will likely start testing the Fire (and others) when that reaches critical mass. Am hoping that Plex works good enough on one of them to stream BD rips (as it does on my Roku), and try to base the ecosystem off that. But from casual research, doesn't seem like most Android TV products are all that good yet at high bitrate, audio passthrough, etc. (at least natively).

The lack of grid EPG is a common complaint on the SD forums... no word on if/when that happens, seems probably it will if only because of the number of demands getting posted for it...
-Alan

etc6849

Post by etc6849 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 pm

This is probably the best approach for now...

I don't know if you're into home automation, but you could use eventghost, mcecontroller and HA software to start WMC and go to the my movies strip when you hit a Blu-ray button on your remote. Using this approach, to the user, the My Movies strip would appear like a source component. This is how my setup works now, but I go to the Recorded TV strip.

I'll probably hunt around for a Netflix option when that goes. I'd buy the Nexus TV option, but I don't trust google after the crap they pulled with GoogleTV. The Sony box cost me a few hundred bucks and they just abandoned all their GoogleTV users. As with M$, I wouldn't put much trust in Google either. I do 100% use Android and like it. I control my whole home with my Moto 360 watch using my voice.

I plan to use the Recorded TV option until it goes away completely (due to no guide support which may happen at some point). I believe I'll always be able to use My Movies + WMC + TMT 6.1. It looks cool, supports bluray menus, 3d blurays, etc, so why not keep using it? I don't think anything is going 100% away unless you switch to Windows 10, which I don't plan to until there's a hack to install WMC on it.
boogmeister1 wrote:I agree, there is no all in one replacement for WMC. I have an Amazon Fire TV (which works great), a Blu-Ray player and Win7 WMC with MyMovies. I have been trying to use the HDHomerun DVR, but without a grid EPG, it's a no-go in my house. I've tried NextPVR and found it to be easy to configure and get running, but it's not quite there yet... for me. I'm now trying Media Portal, however, it seems to be a pain in the butt to setup.

I'm really going to miss the ease of use of WMC when it's gone.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:56 pm

JaxChris wrote:
Ed  wrote:It might be due to Netflix killing silverlight in favor of HTML5. There will come a time Netflix will have no silverlight streams for you to watch. This could be in happening because of that.
Correct answer. Technically Win10 launched 7/29. The reason for the 9/15/15 date is Netflix retiring Silverlight playback.
Can we get some citation on that please? I did some searching and have found nothing from Netflix indicating that they are killing Silverlight in September 2015, only that HTML5 support is now available and that they are moving away from Silverlight some time prior to it's end of life in 2021. If they are seeing significant numbers of clients connecting and using Silverlight then the move away from it is likely to be much more gradual than a karate chop one night and a bunch of angry customers the next morning.

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 am

etc6849 wrote:Unfortunately, I ran windows update last night and now get this message :(

I don't have quite the same setup but my needs are similar. I watch ripped tv and movies with emby plugin though WMC. But some shows are only on TV (i use ota) they never stream anywhere. I wish there was a list of windows updates and listed what they do but I doubt it. A Netflix plugin for emby would work as well but I don't see that happening. What to do, what to do.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:41 pm

No Windows Update did this. These sorts of things come through runs of mcupdate during guide (and other) data downloads.
A future mcupdate will remove the icon (at least) from the menu, it's attached to a promo icon slot on the movie strip. Whether the actual app wil get uninstalled from Programs and Features is unknown.

One could hypothetically reinstall that app if it does, and use Reset Toolbox of MC Studio to add the entry point back to the menu. However, at this point, it's not clear whether this is a mutual thing with Netflix, and the public API or stream support will continue... so whether this is subvertable can't really be known yet.
-Alan

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:34 pm

How can anyone still be using this plugin? It hasn't even been updated in years, does not support surround sound, no profiles, and an ugly UI.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:36 am

deihmos wrote:How can anyone still be using this plugin? It hasn't even been updated in years, does not support surround sound, no profiles, and an ugly UI.
Thanks for that.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:05 am

deihmos wrote:How can anyone still be using this plugin? It hasn't even been updated in years, does not support surround sound, no profiles, and an ugly UI.
You explain to me how i can use a remote to watch/navigate/use netflix on a Windows PC **other than through WMC** and i'll kiss your ass!

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 am

There is no way and the majority of people accepted that a long time ago. They use smart tvs , roku, Android TV, gane consoles and a whole bunch of other devices that provide a superior application. There is also a universal remote. Even the windows 8 Netflix app is better than the wmc plugin even though it has no remote support.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 am

deihmos wrote:There is no way and the majority of people accepted that a long time ago. They use smart tvs , roku, Android TV, gane consoles and a whole bunch of other devices that provide a superior application. There is also a universal remote. Even the windows 8 Netflix app is better than the WMC plugin even though it has no remote support.
Not what i asked... therefore, you get not butt kissing tonight. I suggest in the future you keep you keep your comments to relevant, pertinent and helpful facts, not personal opinions. I use it cause my 5 year old knows how to use the remote... not a keyboard. He also knows how to use the roku remote in the spare bedroom, but i don't need (nor want) another device to run ethernet to. Yes it has wifi, but i've read it a million times if i've read it once that wired is the way to set this stuff up. So again, unless your willing to send me a roku and come wire it up, keep your pi hole shut (or at least offer helpful suggestions to those that are loosing functionality) :o

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:25 am

I use roku over wifi for years. All my wmc machines machines are wireless but the one in the living room. Maybe you should consider upgrading from wireless G.