GuideTool Discussion Thread

aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

GuideTool Discussion Thread

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

GuideTool help please!

I get "Failed to create TV Seup Helper: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:5733 Please make sure that media center is started."

Media center is running..
Firewall is 100% turned off.
No antivirus of any kind.

I tried it first on remote machines, then on MCE itself.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm

aeblank wrote:GuideTool help please!

I get "Failed to create TV Seup Helper: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:5733 Please make sure that media center is started."

maybe try your local ip instead of 127.0.0.1, i think that worked for me, and try running both programs as admin too

Bunk_Tuppins

Post by Bunk_Tuppins » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Have WMC running, not minimized and not maximized: a window smaller than the total window space. I don't know why this should make a diff but it seemed to cure the 'actively refused' issue you describe.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 pm

I connect to "localhost" when I use GuideTool.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm in. Trying to figure out how to use it.

WyldWolf

Post by WyldWolf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:23 pm

i'm also trying to learn to use GuideTool. I get how to pick a diff listing provider on right to fill in missing channel data on the left. But, what I'm not clear on is this something I have to then remember to open repeatedly every XX days to pull from that "other" source (in my case Time Warner local cable listing) to then assign to an OTA missing channel 18.1?

Can this be automated and scheduled?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:46 pm

WyldWolf wrote:i'm also trying to learn to use GuideTool. .....
Don't know about the automation. I *gather* that it's permanent, until you do a TV setup again.

This is the have half-butted write-up I did to send to my brother. It is for my specific missing channel (WWTV, Channel 9). You'd have to repeat for every station you don't have guide data for. I think this is the interim solution for all us OTA people. For cable/dish people, I doubt it'll help much, but I dunno for sure.

Get "GuideTool".
Run WMC (not minimized, not maximized).
Install guidetool and run it.

On the right pane, find a 9&10 listing. I used charter in Traverse City (sort by callsign) and picked "WWTV HD" (some channel number in the 900s). Select it. Then in the left pane, right click your manually added (or scanned for) channel 9.1 and say subscribe to guide (or something like that).

Not sure if it shows automatically or if you need to download guide data again, but it's there.

howzz1854

Post by howzz1854 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:50 pm

aeblank wrote:
WyldWolf wrote:i'm also trying to learn to use GuideTool. .....
Don't know about the automation. I *gather* that it's permanent, until you do a TV setup again.

This is the have half-butted write-up I did to send to my brother. It is for my specific missing channel (WWTV, Channel 9). You'd have to repeat for every station you don't have guide data for. I think this is the interim solution for all us OTA people. For cable/dish people, I doubt it'll help much, but I dunno for sure.

Get "GuideTool".
Run WMC (not minimized, not maximized).
Install guidetool and run it.

On the right pane, find a 9&10 listing. I used charter in Traverse City (sort by callsign) and picked "WWTV HD" (some channel number in the 900s). Select it. Then in the left pane, right click your manually added (or scanned for) channel 9.1 and say subscribe to guide (or something like that).

Not sure if it shows automatically or if you need to download guide data again, but it's there.
thanks for providing this quick guide. i installed the program last night and had WMC in windowed mode and still couldn't connect. i got the same connection IP error someone else mentioned here a few posts back. i did have it set to connect to Localhost and no luck. so i just uninstalled it. :(

Bunk_Tuppins

Post by Bunk_Tuppins » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 pm

You have a window on left with the channels WMC recognizes. You select a source list from the drop down box on the right, and then select the channel on the left and subscribe to its corresponding epg on the right. Something like that.

WyldWolf

Post by WyldWolf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Yep I got the missing data my question is, without GuideTool actively running once I close it, I can't see how anything would be able to continually "inject" the Time Warner Cable info into my guide for the missing OTA channel. So the question was without seeing the code for GuideTool, is it pulling down the channel data and "injecting" into WMC database, or is there some other "secret sauce" that GuideTool is using like can WMC be told to always pull a certain channel's data from a different provider, and all other channels from the ROVI XML? I didn't think so, otherwise I think we'd all just use guidtool one single time and tell WMC to always use a cable provider for ALL the OTA channels.

Anyone happen to know how it works under the hood?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm

howzz1854 wrote:i got the same connection IP error someone else mentioned here a few posts back. i did have it set to connect to Localhost and no luck. so i just uninstalled it. :(
Yeah, that was me. I started running things as administrator, and it started working. Though after a couple different re-starts, I didn't run as administrator, and it still worked. Run media center as administrator, window it, run GuideTool as administrator, set to localhost and it seems like that should work.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:37 pm

WyldWolf wrote:Yep I got the missing data my question is, without GuideTool actively running once I close it, I can't see how anything would be able to continually "inject" the Time Warner Cable info into my guide for the missing OTA channel. So the question was without seeing the code for GuideTool, is it pulling down the channel data and "injecting" into WMC database, or is there some other "secret sauce" that GuideTool is using like can WMC be told to always pull a certain channel's data from a different provider, and all other channels from the ROVI XML? I didn't think so, otherwise I think we'd all just use guidtool one single time and tell WMC to always use a cable provider for ALL the OTA channels.

Anyone happen to know how it works under the hood?
It's not actually injecting the EPG into WMC. When WMC pulls the EPG data it appears to grab data for almost all of the tv services in the zip code. What EPG appears to do is to simply tell WMC to use the EPG from list "b" for instead of list "a" for a specific channel.

At the moment as an experiment I have EPG being pulled from 3 different sources (OTA, Comcast, Direct TV) for my area. I've seen successful nightly guide downloads for the past 4 days and everything seems to be working.

I do check every couple days to see if the Rovi OTA service for my area gets the corrected channels. Once that happens, I'll re-reun the setup to get back into a single source EPG and stop using GuideTool.

The reason this isn't the silver bullet for everyone is that in some zip codes there are limited choices for EPG and all of them are broken. Also, people with cable have many more channels to sort through and there may not be an alternative source for guide data in their area.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:41 pm

ravsitar wrote:I do check every couple days to see if the Rovi OTA service for my area gets the corrected channels. Once that happens, I'll re-reun the setup to get back into a single source EPG and stop using GuideTool.
How do you check, because I'd like to know/do the same.???

howzz1854

Post by howzz1854 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:43 pm

aeblank wrote:
ravsitar wrote:I do check every couple days to see if the Rovi OTA service for my area gets the corrected channels. Once that happens, I'll re-reun the setup to get back into a single source EPG and stop using GuideTool.

i second this. how do we check. because i would hate to rerun the TV Signal setup process, everytime i do, PlayReady fails to download, and i have to jump through hoops to get playready to update/install properly. Btw, does anyone know if this problem with Playready install/download is related to the switchover?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

aeblank wrote:
Arg. This question shouldn't have gotten moved to its own thread.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:53 pm

aeblank wrote:
Open up GuideTool and look at the OTA from Rovi. If it's fixed, the missing channels should appear in there. If it's not fixed, they'll still be missing.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 pm

ravsitar wrote:Open up GuideTool and look at the OTA from Rovi. If it's fixed, the missing channels should appear in there. If it's not fixed, they'll still be missing.
Thank you. Makes sense. I didn't even notice that Rovi was (or wasn't) in there. Was surprised to see 22 sources, and did not look through every one.

jwsadauskas

Post by jwsadauskas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:15 pm

I get that same error, too. Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I start Guide Tool, the guide tool main screen comes up and it asks me what machine to log onto. Then I get the error.

Tried both localhost and actual machine name. (I can ping both localhost and the actual machine name just fine.)
Tried running as administrator - no luck. The account I use is administrator anyway.

Any suggestions?
Does Guide tool make a log anywhere so I can see what's going on?
Is there a tread with more discussion of getting Guide Tool working?

Thanks!

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Are you running MCE as administrator too? I'm admin on my machine too, but it still seemed to make a difference.

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 pm

I tried constantly to get guide tool to run, it would not until I right clicked and ran as admin on the tool. I'm using windows 8.1 64 bit.

Once into guide tool I could change the most important channels that had the wrong data, but it would not let me add the cable channels that were not listed on the left side. For example channel 512 is one of the hbo's, the rovi guide does not have it on the left side of the guide tool, it won't let me add channel 512. If the channel number is not listed on the left pane of the guide tool, it will not let me add that channel number.
If I know it all, there is no reason to think and if I think, I don't need know it all
The Way it should Be