Attempts at Manual Guide Implementation

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
artm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by artm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 pm

STC wrote:^ We have a working solution that certainly kept me going for a while. Downloaded data from Zap2it via Schedules Direct was easy to port into the db but I then had to add each channel manually which did take some time.
Can you elaborate on this process? I would love to try it on a testbed WMC to see how it goes. Does this data apply only to the EPG? What about the movie database when you do a search for other titles by an actor?
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I will also volunteer to be a test bed. My desktop runs Windows 7 and I have used WMC to look at a few videos but never set up a tuner. However I have a spare AVerMedia Duet OTA dual tuner card that I could install & hook up an antenna. So it would be a virgin system as far as setting up a third party EPG & tuning in channels.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:01 pm

artm, at the time of farting around with this, I did not go in-depth as to perform such an actor search.
The raw data is Zap2it, so everything did appear to work correctly (season data / premier / repeat etc.).

One caveat was that show thumbs or movie cover art were not coming through I presume due to blocked access to MS servers in hosts.
I'm sure that can be resolved.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

artm

Post by artm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:31 am

Frankly, I don't care about the artwork. I only care for an accurate EPG.

Rovi just isn't as good on many levels. For example, I cannot program a recording and limit the category to "sports > soccer". I need to do "sports > pro" or "sports > footbol". WTF?!

So, to be clear, you only got it to work with zap2it and SD? Not with any free solution?
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 am

^Correct though SDs trial. I don't think there would be a better choice and highly doubt there is a free supply of accurate correctly structured guide data. Not legally free anyway. The cost is minimal for a year IMO.

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:46 pm

All,
Here is the background and step by step process I use successfully, but I am also one of those unfortunates unable to receive anything from Rovi much less connect, since July 22. So, I was forced to try many alternatives and, at the moment, not seeing any interference from WMC seeking alternative downloads, which always fail anyway. I am hopeful my situation is temporary at best, but am already a Schedules Direct subscriber anyhow as I have been using NPVR as a temporary recording service since WMC went dark...

Environment:
Win7x64 Pro
OTA/ ATSC via onboard Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner cards
Schedules Direct account
Backup/ Uninstall/ ReInstall WMC, ran TV Setup to populate channels ("No Rovi downloads, No Data Available")

External Resources:
mc2xml.exe <http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/>
xmltv.dtd <http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... d?view=log>
MCImportXML.exe <http://mcefun.nrossen.dk/page/Downloads.aspx>
GuideTool.exe <http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/>

1. download mc2xml.exe
2. put it in a folder, like c:\epg
3. download xmltv.dtd (will be needed later by MCImportXML)
4. put it in c:\epg)
5. download/ install MCImportXML.exe
6. run mc2xml.exe
7. select Schedules Direct, put in username and password
8. mc2xml creates xmltv.xml in same folder
9. confirm WMC is runing and available for the following steps...
10. run MCImportXML.exe, select "Basic Settings" and point to xmltv.xml.
11. select additional configuration options as appropriate.
12. select "Only Fetch" tab, which will populate the "Channel Settings/ Assignment" Tabs
13. select "Channel Settings" tab and selectively disable/ enable channel preferences
14. select "Channel Assignment" Tab and Map (Link) WMC Channels to EPG ...select like channels in both columns and press "Link".
15. select "Advanced Settings" tab and fine tune desired results.
16. select "Fetch & Import" tab and hold breath until entire conversion/ import process is completed!!
17. select "Save all settings and close tab.
18. check MC Guide for data and accuracy.

I have successfully used "GuideTool" for minor corrections to guide labels and other data, but always better to get it right, b4 the import.

At this stage, one can still play with the process and confirm import is working as desired b4 going further ...fairly simple to clear the guide data and start over again from within MCImportXML-->Tools. Once satisfied with results, script files (*.bat) can be built to automate the entire process via Task Scheduler and MCImportXML-->Tools. Please feel free to use, don't use, or correct the steps I have listed above. I'm old now and mind is nowhere as sharp as it once was, eyes either...

Addenda:
I did try to download a trial version of BigScreenEPG, but was informed at logon that I was already previously registered and had no idea what my password would have been. I do not ever remember having been to the site b4 and waited for days upon an email with my password, which never arrived. I gave up and tried MCImportXML which worked well for me...

randu

Post by randu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:44 am

Thanks Bob, your procedure worked great. I was about to pull my hair out and it wouldn't have taken long to do so.

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Bob ODell wrote:All,
Here is the background and step by step process I use successfully, but I am also one of those unfortunates unable to receive anything from Rovi much less connect, since July 22. So, I was forced to try many alternatives and, at the moment, not seeing any interference from WMC seeking alternative downloads, which always fail anyway. I am hopeful my situation is temporary at best, but am already a Schedules Direct subscriber anyhow as I have been using NPVR as a temporary recording service since WMC went dark...

Environment:
Win7x64 Pro
OTA/ ATSC via onboard Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner cards
Schedules Direct account
Backup/ Uninstall/ ReInstall WMC, ran TV Setup to populate channels ("No Rovi downloads, No Data Available")

External Resources:
MCImportXML.exe <http://mcefun.nrossen.dk/page/Downloads.aspx>

1. download mc2xml.exe
6. run mc2xml.exe
12. select "Only Fetch" tab, which will populate the "Channel Settings/ Assignment" Tabs
13. select "Channel Settings" tab and selectively disable/ enable channel preferences
14. select "Channel Assignment" Tab and Map (Link) WMC Channels to EPG ...select like channels in both columns and press "Link".
16. select "Fetch & Import" tab and hold breath until entire conversion/ import process is completed!!

I have successfully used "GuideTool" for minor corrections to guide labels and other data, but always better to get it right, b4 the import.

At this stage, one can still play with the process and confirm import is working as desired b4 going further ...fairly simple to clear the guide data and start over again from within MCImportXML-->Tools. Once satisfied with results, script files (*.bat) can be built to automate the entire process via Task Scheduler and MCImportXML-->Tools. Please feel free to use, don't use, or correct the steps I have listed above. I'm old now and mind is nowhere as sharp as it once was, eyes either...

Addenda:
I did try to download a trial version of BigScreenEPG, but was informed at logon that I was already previously registered and had no idea what my password would have been. I do not ever remember having been to the site b4 and waited for days upon an email with my password, which never arrived. I gave up and tried MCImportXML which worked well for me...
Do you still get artwork etc. in your WMC guide? What about starred ratings, reviews and such that worked before the conversion?

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 pm

jbf154 wrote:
1. download mc2xml.exe
6. run mc2xml.exe
Do you still get artwork etc. in your WMC guide? What about starred ratings, reviews and such that worked before the conversion?
Yes I do get most artwork and starred ratings. "Advanced Settings" tab is used to customize those data to a limited degree...HTH

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:30 pm

randu wrote:Thanks Bob, your procedure worked great. I was about to pull my hair out and it wouldn't have taken long to do so.
:D

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Bob ODell wrote:
jbf154 wrote:
1. download mc2xml.exe
6. run mc2xml.exe
Yes I do get most artwork and starred ratings. "Advanced Settings" tab is used to customize those data to a limited degree...HTH
This looks interesting.

For those of you who have executed this, a question...

What, if anything, do you have to configure in WMC itself (or on the computer running WMC) to disable WMC's built-in guide download? (Or does this process hook-into/hijack that process?)

Just wondering.

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:00 pm

This looks interesting.

For those of you who have executed this, a question...

What, if anything, do you have to configure in WMC itself (or on the computer running WMC) to disable WMC's built-in guide download? (Or does this process hook-into/hijack that process?)

Just wondering.
Personally I am continuing to hope that at some point WMC will again connect with MS as designed and restore auto downloads from ROVI. At that point, I will decide whether to cease the Schedules Direct workaround or disable ROVI. So, while unable to connect with ROVI there is no interference with the Schedules Direct workaround. I would speculate that one can disable ROVI by opening <WMC Tasks Settings-->General-->Automatic Download Options> and disable the native WMC auto update process, which "pulls" updates from ROVI. The workaround for Schedules Direct above is a "push" process and should then continue without further interference. However, I am not currently in a position to verify my thesis so perhaps someone else can.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:54 pm

^ It looks as though you are correct as audinutt is stating the same.
If so this is an excellent easy toggle to administer as it still allows cover art and pics to download.

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 pm

STC wrote:^ It looks as though you are correct as audinutt is stating the same.
If so this is an excellent easy toggle to administer as it still allows cover art and pics to download.
Thanks STC, and to audinutt for the confirmation.

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 pm

All,

In my original workaround post #68 above, I mistyped the filename "MCImportXML" throughout the entire step -by- step process. The
correct filename should have been "MCImportXMLTV", with the last two letters "TV" included. I apologize for any confusion this may
have caused. Apparently, no one else noticed either or were able to figure out what was intended and simply pressed on. As originally
stated, I am old now and I'm sticking with that excuse! Therefore for the sake of clarity, here below is the fully corrected
version...

Initial Test Environment:
Win7x64 Pro w/MCE
OTA/ ATSC via 2 onboard Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner cards
Schedules Direct subscriber account (7 day free trial)
Backup/ Uninstall/ ReInstall MCE, run TV Setup to populate available OTA channels ("No Rovi update, No Data Available")

External Resources:
MCImportXMLTV.exe <http://mcefun.nrossen.dk/page/Downloads.aspx>

1. download mc2xml.exe
2. put it in a folder, such as c:\epg
4. put it in c:\epg
5. download/ install MCImportXMLTV.exe
6. run mc2xml.exe
7. select "Schedules Direct", enter "username" and "password" (assumes you have created lineup @ Schedules Direct)
8. mc2xml.exe creates xmltv.xml in same folder (contains TV lineup from Schedules Direct account)

Confirm MCE is currently runing...

9. Run MCImportXMLTV.exe, select "Basic Settings" Tab and point to xmltv.xml.
10. select additional configuration options as appropriate.
11. select "Only Fetch" tab, which will then populate the "Channel Settings & Channel Assignment" Tabs
12. select "Channel Settings" tab and disable/ enable channel preferences
13. select "Channel Assignment" Tab and Map (Link) MCE Channels to EPG ...select like channels in both columns and press "Link".
14. select "Advanced Settings" tab and fine tune desired results.
15. select "Fetch & Import" tab and hold breath until entire conversion/ import process is completed!!
16. select "Save all settings and close" tab.
17. check MC Guide for data and accuracy.

At this stage, one can still play with the configuration and confirm import is working as desired b4 going much further ...fairly
simple to clear the guide data and start over again from within MCImportXMLTV-->Tools. Once satisfied with results, script file(s)
(*.bat), can be built to automate the entire process via Windows Task Scheduler and/ or MCImportXMLTV-->Tools-->Create Task.
Personally I prefer the simplicity of MCImportXMLTV to automate the import/ mcupdate task, but mc2xml.exe must also be run
automatically every few days in order to stay current with changing lineups.

I have also used "GuideTool" for minor corrections to labels and other data, but always better to get it right b4 importing.

The default Automatic Download (MS/ROVI) guide update process can easily be disabled through
WMCE <Tasks/ Settings-->General-->Automatic Download Options>. This was recently confirmed as an effective method by "audinutt"
via "STC" and an additional required step for those wanting continued and permanent use of Schedules Direct (Zap2It).

Each of the utilities used in this kludge are unique and therefore require some familiarization with available documentation, for
custom configuration, but the above steps should easily adapt to most circumstances and provide a solid foundation for future
enhancement. I would highly encourage donations to authors of these utilities ...trust me, writing structured xml is not as easy as
one might think and a great deal of thought and effort has been invested to our benefit.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:59 am

Hello everyone,
Great job getting the manual guide implementation working and thank you Bob ODell for posting a guide your solution. I have taken it and added it to the WMC Wiki but it still needs few edits so if anyone who has actually used this method would help out it would be greatly apprenticed. Custom Guide Implementations
Thanks,
-Sharks

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:14 am

Hi Bob,

I tried to download xmltv.dtd thru the link you provided. When I clicked on download, it produced a bunch of text (almost like an .ini file). I assume I would save this text as "xmltv.dtd" or should I have seen a download "save" box pop up?

This is the beginning of the text I saw:

<!-- DTD for TV listings

This is a DTD to represent a TV listing. It doesn't explicitly group
programmes by day or by channel, instead broadcast time and channel
are attributes of the 'programme' element. Optionally, data about the
TV channels used can be stored in 'channel' elements.

[quote="Bob ODell"]All,

External Resources:

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, have been busy offline for a few days on another project and missed your post until now. Open <http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... d?view=log> in your browser and navigate to "Revision 1.47 - (view) (download) (annotate)". Right-Click on (Download) menu option and choose <Save Link As>. Your browser should automatically save the file into your default download folder as "xmltv.dtd". You will also be presented with an opportunity to select an alternative download location. Again, my apologies for the delay.

HTHs

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Sharks wrote:Hello everyone,
Great job getting the manual guide implementation working and thank you Bob ODell for posting a guide your solution. I have taken it and added it to the WMC Wiki but it still needs few edits so if anyone who has actually used this method would help out it would be greatly apprenticed. Custom Guide Implementations
Thanks,
-Sharks
Thought I might follow-up with a couple edits as suggested, but evidently not allowed into Discussion page nor to edit so, what is the recommended process for submitting edits to WIKI? Am I missing something blatantly obvious? :-)

Bob ODell

Post by Bob ODell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:14 pm

All,

Thought I might add a very simple batch file to the list of steps previously outlined in post #75 above. I have included detailed comments throughout so, should be easy to follow and require very little customization. Copy the text between "Begin" & "END" seperators, save as UpdateEPG.bat using notepad.exe, and place it into same EPG folder containing mc2xml.exe...re: post #75 Step 2. Once UpdateEPG.bat is installed, all that is left to do is create a simple task via Task Scheduler to start UpdateEPG process daily <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7>. Everything is pretty much self sustaining from that point onward...

.............BEGIN......................

REM Sample batch file (UpdateEPG.bat)
REM Place this file in C:\EPG folder
REM Called by Windows Task Manager
REM Assumes Windows x64 environment

REM Turn off verbose display

@echo off

REM Insure current working drive is C:

C:

REM Change Directory to C:\EPG

CD C:\EPG

REM Begin download of most current TV guide data.
REM Assumes "mc2xml.exe" is preconfigured for
REM access to guide service (e.g., Schedules Direct
REM (Zap2it)). By default, mc2xml.exe downloads only 7
REM days of program data. In this example, including
REM the [-d hrs] parameter as seen below, allows for
REM up to 15 days of guide data to be downloaded
REM instead of only 7 (i.e., 24hrs x 15days = 360hrs).
REM Remove or Customize [-d hrs] as desired.

mc2xml.exe -d 360

REM Run "MCImportXMLTV.exe" to complete MCE update task.

"C:\Program Files\MCImportXMLTV\MCImportXMLTV.exe"

..............END......................