HD Channels display as SD NYC Cablevision

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
wisejman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by wisejman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 am

Has anyone tried Verizon FIOS? I use Cablevision, hence me having this problem... wouldn't it be easier to just switch? When I called cablevision last weekend they acknowledged the problem but then when I called them 3 days ago for an update they claimed it was fixed and seemed to no longer have any interest in helping me (us). Does Verizon have the same problem? Also, can't Ceton just make an app that does everything WMC does and take charge of making sure it works? They could probably charge a monthly nominal fee just so we don't have to deal with this garbage every few months. Have they ever mentioned that or is that stupid for technological reasons I'm missing? Thanks to those who figured out the NJ zip code btw. Bought me a few more days without the family killing me because we lost HD TV. Bravo.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 am

SiliconDust is trying to make a replacement for WMC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... e-imagined

We'll see how well it ends up working

kwhite6

Post by kwhite6 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:00 am

None of the new guide options for Cablevision include the 700 Channels

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:36 am

Using all the stuff posted in the other thread with Guide Tool and Guide Editor helps get channels back, but it is time consuming. Then had to manually assign logos with My Channel Logos. I only tried it on 5 channels last night, and with the learning curve I think I spent 20 minutes on that, so I clearly hope that this happens automatically before I resign myself to doing all of these channels. The key I found was to create an entry with Guide Editor for the 700 channel in question, then assign the Guide data from the equivalent source in Guide Tool. For example, for me with Cablevision of Morris (HD), I assigned CBSHD to 702 in Guide Editor and then assigned CBSHD channel 2's guide data in Guide Tool. All the 700's should have equivalent HD channels in the lower numbers, you just have to pick them from the menu for you area. But, like I said, I got through channel 702, 703, 704, 705, and 707 in about 20 minutes. Once done, I was happy with the look and quality of the guide data I saw from Rovi though.

All the info is there - I really just hope that Rovi and friends get it put together on their end!!

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:03 am

kwhite6 wrote:Just went to remove the NJ zip code as it is no longer working. WMC is now listing 2 different guides for CableVision one that says HD and one that doesn't. TVGuide.com now has a special listing for Cablevision cablecard customers.
The listing that doesn't say HD is not correct, will test the other later.

I installed the new Cablevision Brooklyn Lineups and they are still missing the 600 and 700 HD channels.Rovi seems to think that they have fixed the problem. I have resubmitted complaints to Rovi and Microsoft, but don't have much hope for prompt action. The guide is working again, albeit with only SD channels, as for me it had been frozen for almost a week. I do think that the more of us who complain to Rovi and Microsoft the better our chances.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:25 pm

wisejman wrote:Has anyone tried Verizon FIOS? I use Cablevision, hence me having this problem... wouldn't it be easier to just switch? When I called cablevision last weekend they acknowledged the problem but then when I called them 3 days ago for an update they claimed it was fixed and seemed to no longer have any interest in helping me (us). Does Verizon have the same problem? Also, can't Ceton just make an app that does everything WMC does and take charge of making sure it works? They could probably charge a monthly nominal fee just so we don't have to deal with this garbage every few months. Have they ever mentioned that or is that stupid for technological reasons I'm missing? Thanks to those who figured out the NJ zip code btw. Bought me a few more days without the family killing me because we lost HD TV. Bravo.
The Rovi guide seems mostly okay on FiOS. The channels are all there, but some of the metadata and thumbnail images are wrong.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

rsa

Post by rsa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:44 pm

"I do think that the more of us who complain to Rovi and Microsoft the better our chances"

Can you provide links to Rovi and MS complaint forms to make it easier for everyone to give them our 2 cents worth of wrath.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:54 pm

rsa wrote:"I do think that the more of us who complain to Rovi and Microsoft the better our chances"

Can you provide links to Rovi and MS complaint forms to make it easier for everyone to give them our 2 cents worth of wrath.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=8903
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:16 pm

mercblue281 wrote:Cablevision acknowledging issue but if Rovi is developing a fix they aren't moving quickly to get it on the epg and tv data servers. Totally frustrated b/c my htps can't even download new zip codes data info.
Cablevision where? The one for Long Island does NOT acknowledge this issue being there's and pushes you off to MS and the guide provider. But that's only after two calls to them, it usually takes three or four to find someone who understands things ...

rsa

Post by rsa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm in NJ. Just got off the phone with Cablevision customer service. He was fully aware of the problem and was directed to provide me with links to MS, Silicondust forum and here (Media Center EPG Cutover thread). So they are washing their hands of the problem and pointing in the direction of MS and Rovi for the solution.

On another note, I am now stuck in the Hamilton guide. When I attempt to change my zipcode the download fails. Anyone else having this problem?

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:44 pm

My Hamilton guide is now showing 'no data available' for many channels. Bummer. I can tune the channels, however, scheduled recordings won't work. Wondering when the 'no data available' channel count will rise.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Does anyone have a ZIP which works for Long Island Cablevision?

My guide is 'no data available'.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:03 pm

mattiedread wrote:Does anyone have a ZIP which works for Long Island Cablevision?

My guide is 'no data available'.
I believe at this point we're all stuck without a resolution, no pun intended. The only way to fix this at this point is to edit the guide via the ways already pointed out, and as some have conveyed, need to be maintained daily.

At this point, I believe, were all waiting for the fix. I'm on vacation for the next week. I am hoping to come back to Rovi's new guide and plenty of great posts here on how well it's working ... :roll:

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:29 pm

MS has washed their hands of this. As we all know -- they abandoned WMC for Windows 10 (I think that is why we have this new guide). Cablevision and Rovi are our only hope and I think both could not care less. Guidetool is the only hope for now (which has its issues) and moving to another possible guide (i.e. the silicondust project) is the other. And they do need to find a solution. I imagine Ceton will be out of business if another solution is not found. Anyone remember Snapstream's Beyond TV? Too bad that option is no longer available.
mattiedread wrote:My Hamilton guide is now showing 'no data available' for many channels. Bummer. I can tune the channels, however, scheduled recordings won't work. Wondering when the 'no data available' channel count will rise.

The hamilton zip is farked. I learned that the hard way. I had to go back to using my real zip.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 pm

At least I could manually tune the 700s, now I can't (re-ran set up). I could manually add them...

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:50 pm

kwhite6 wrote:None of the new guide options for Cablevision include the 700 Channels
RE: Optimum (Cablevision)

For those of you Cablevision users in the NY Metro Area (NY, NJ, CT), take a gander at: http://www.tvguide.com/listings/

Enter your ZIP Code.

A number of ZIP Codes (I randomly checked a few different ZIPs; there's no guarantee that your ZIP is covered in this manner) will report [1] a Standard cable lineup & [2] a Digital cable lineup plus more recently, [3] an HD Digital cable lineup and [4] a CableCARD-based cable lineup. This last one includes the missing 700s range of channels--at least as reported on tvguide.com. (Pure speculation here, but the "HD Digital" lineup may be meant to mimic the newly remapped HD channels used on Cablevision's cableboxes.)

For Northern NJ (specifically, the Morris County lineup), all 4 lineups appear on tvguide.com... BUT (and you know this was coming) the most recent WMC "Set Up TV Signal" only returned 3 lineups. The missing one... you guessed it... the CableCARD-based one. Ugh!

So for Cablevision users in the NY Metro Area, check out http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ and see if your coverage area includes a new CableCARD-based lineup. If so, then we [CableCARD users] are waiting for the CableCARD lineup to appear in WMC.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 pm

All right, I'm cable vision and I'm trying to get this guide tool to work. I'm looking at my Channels on the left, 2 WCBSHD (but we know it is not). How do I map that to 702?

I accidentally unsubscribed CBS HD, guide went 'no data', got it back (subscribe) but the subscribed service name is WCBS now, no longer WCBS HD (not a big deal, it is SD anyway)... I'm just not getting this 'manual mapping'. I'd really like to record Fox HD tonight but I am at a loss of how to do so... should never have re-run the Hamilton set up (that is when all my 700's dropped).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update, shut down guide tool. Went into guide. Click on the channel to the left and it shows you the next 4 or 6 programs, to the left it says 'Edit'. Click Edit, in the box change channel to 702 (CBS HD example).,, , bummer, restarted WMC and 702 is now SD... it was HD two minutes ago... Arg!

yabasoya

Post by yabasoya » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 pm

I just got this email today.. Signs of good things to come.

Hi,
We have been working on a solution for the missing HD stations and we did implement a work around today until a final solution can be found. Please check for your HD stations over the next 24-48 hours and let me know if they come in.
Thanks!
Suzy
Operations Manager

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:01 am

mattiedread wrote:All right, I'm cable vision and I'm trying to get this guide tool to work. I'm looking at my Channels on the left, 2 WCBSHD (but we know it is not). How do I map that to 702?

I accidentally unsubscribed CBS HD, guide went 'no data', got it back (subscribe) but the subscribed service name is WCBS now, no longer WCBS HD (not a big deal, it is SD anyway)... I'm just not getting this 'manual mapping'. I'd really like to record Fox HD tonight but I am at a loss of how to do so... should never have re-run the Hamilton set up (that is when all my 700's dropped).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update, shut down guide tool. Went into guide. Click on the channel to the left and it shows you the next 4 or 6 programs, to the left it says 'Edit'. Click Edit, in the box change channel to 702 (CBS HD example).,, , bummer, restarted WMC and 702 is now SD... it was HD two minutes ago... Arg!

When you first run guide tool you will not see the 700 stations as it is pulling from the guide in WMC (which is missing 700 channels). You need to go to tuners, click on a tuner and hit add channel. In the first (top box) you put in the call sign. Then in the others you put in the 700 channel (702) in your case. Hit close and close and you now have 702 in your guide. But it is missing guide data. For that you need to find channel 2 (sd or hd), click and highlight that, then highlight 702 and hit subscribe. You will not see a change in WMC until you exit the guide, then reenter it. Now you should be able to tune and record programming on 702.
yabasoya wrote:I just got this email today.. Signs of good things to come.

Hi,
We have been working on a solution for the missing HD stations and we did implement a work around today until a final solution can be found. Please check for your HD stations over the next 24-48 hours and let me know if they come in.
Thanks!
Suzy
Operations Manager
Who sent you this? Cablevision?

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 am

Cablevision LI - I have my 700 channels, HD. The guide is completely incorrect, channel names like B4F and program titles like Shenxaf, but when I tune to B4F it is actually Fox HD.

I have no idea why, but I've tested multiple channels and they 'work' (guide is completely wrong, in order to record Wayward Pines I had to record a 3 hour show called something ridiculous).. Ek Thi Daayan (really that is the name of something on Ion3, a test channel). It is every channel as far as I can tell.

Not sure if it had something to do with 'screwing' things up with playing with that Guide software (which I did screw up, never put forth the effort to figure it out - software developer, working on a Sev1 for the last 3 days, don't want to do it on my free time). But, they are there.

Here are actual entries:
700 TVASIA English News
701 SAB TV Yam Hain Hum (Krishan Kanhaiya is next) I never had a channel 701 and it doesn't actually tune, Service is Unavailable
702 Raat Hone Ko Hai (30 minute program, recording it twice despite the ! because it is Under the Dome. - Just checked, live, it is Under the Dome..
703 ZEECIN currently playing Ghanchakkar (sounds good Detail: A safecracker tasked with stashing stolen loo loses his memory of where it it's hidden, and races to find the money...
I have two 704's because I added one manually SETMX currently playing EkThi Daayan
and WNBC-DT No Data Available (apparently I didn't do a very good job).
705 B4U Shawdow (recording, hoping it is Wayward Pines HD - recording 5 SD just in case)

725 Ajab Gajab Ghar Jamai is actually CNN HD (2 dead at theatre shooting, that sucks).

The end is near?