Guide Download Issues Thread - January 2015

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
ronaldo47

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ronaldo47 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Guide updated properly out to 1/30 with Comcast in Littleton, CO.

BroadcastHouse

Post by BroadcastHouse » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:47 pm

I have been having the same issue with MCE2005 on xp machine since October. The SDF file in the epg folder gets updated every night but I can't get the guide to open it. I have tried reconfigurations of the service and manually update the guide and both fail with error 33 for the guide and setup error code 14. I have tried the changes to the hosts file, vpned to 30 countries around the world and still no update to the guide. Any one have any advice?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:38 am

Just a heads up related to my last post in this thread.

It looks like the latest guide update changed the episode title for the 1/19 episode of Scorpion but did not change the 1/18 episode title. So WMC thinks that the 1/18 and 1/19 airings are the same episode. You will have to set a one-off recording for the 1/19 episode (or the 1/18 episode if it was deferred due to conflicts) in order to get both episodes.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Comcast Albuquerque. My guide runs out on the 25th. Manual update apparently unsuccessful.

What I don't understand is that on January 11th I did the "remove media center/install media center" dance through control panel > add and remove programs > add and remove windows features. Received the initial download and then media center successfully did the overnight update via task scheduler on the 12th, 13th and 14th. No updates since the 14th. The update task is missing from Task Scheduler.

I previously went through this drill on January 7th (or thereabouts). Again Media Center performed the overnight updates on three occasions, then stopped updating until I removed/re-installed.

Is there any significance to that behavior?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:07 am

Your behavior sounds like something is removing the MCUPDATE task.. Are you running any AVS other than MS Security Essentials?

There should be two mcupdate tasks one will run twice a day unless you pick a time in MC and then it runs once a day, the other runs client maintenance after an update.

Instead of add/remove programs, you should use the Media Center Recovery Task which will REALLY reset mc back to the way it is when first installed. That means you'll have to run TV set-up again and all scheduled recording schedules will be lost but it is a full reset of Media Center AND it does preserve DRM on previous recordings. Otherwise it is the same as a full format and re-install of Windows to reset Media Center.

I have still been getting errors in updates, but they are all related to errors in one of the Sports Schedules.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 am

I'm running Malwarebytes + Security Essentials, but I'll pull that. Come to think of it Malwarebytes hasn't been updating either, although I can do it manually.

The other odd thing I just noticed is that _all_ of the scheduled tasks have disappeared from Task Scheduler. That's a new one for me, and I have been being abused more or less constantly by small computers since 1984. This is vexing and may indicate some other serious issue.

Well. I'll see if I can make sense of what is going on with task scheduler and give the Media Center Recovery task a try. Thank you for the suggestions.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:03 am

Poking around Windows' innards reveals that Media Center completed a successful update this afternoon, subsequent to the time I checked the schedule status and event viewer. That's probably the result of manually invoking the mcupdate.exe command, although there were no indications that did anything at the time. I now have schedule data to the end of the month.

I suppose the thing to do now is recreate the update tasks in Task Scheduler and see if they get deleted again.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:47 pm

The quick way to check on MC operations is with the event viewer (manage computer/event viewer/Services and Applications/Media Center and you should see your tasks running.

It sounds like something else is going on with your machine since the tasks are all missing. Do you have other accounts set-up that you can long in with and check that way?

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Yes, I've been using Even Viewer. Handy tool.

I have confirmed mcupdate will run when invoked manually, so it appears the problem with the program guide not updating was the result of the update task disappearing from Task Scheduler. I'll move any further cries for help about this to another thread. Thanks all for the assistance and moral support.

wifiwanderer

Post by wifiwanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:46 pm

Been getting normal updates for a few days. Guide End Date: 1 Feb 2015; Zap2it; over-the-air; central California.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 am

Anybody seeing recent errors when the guide tries to update?

I'm seeing Failed to retrieve EPGListings (Error: HeadendID 28491394 is invalid)

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 pm

choliscott wrote:Anybody seeing recent errors when the guide tries to update?

I'm seeing Failed to retrieve EPGListings (Error: HeadendID 28491394 is invalid)
This happened last Oct when TWC changed the channel line up here. First ran tv set-up and everything worked for about a week and then there was some change between TWC and Zap2It and started getting the invalid headend ID. Re-ran tv set-up and got new headend ID number and all has been well since. Actually loads two guides now, a local TWC digital guide and a terrestrial guide.

If you get this more than once or you get it on multiple machines, re-run tv set-up.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm

I tried setting up WMC on another computer to see if I could duplicate & there was no issues with the guide, so I did a "DB reset" & just decided to set everything back up & all appears to be normal.

I was kind of wondering why my scheduled recording list was at about 50%, along with the actual episode data (not show title) seemed to be missing

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Russjohn and Broadcasthouse - I've been trying to PM you to help with the 2005 MCE guide, but all of my messages just sit in my outbox and never send! Russjohn - I replied the next day to your message. Maybe you can PM me an email address? I get messages, mine just don't send (except to myself when testing)....

donniew

Post by donniew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 am

choliscott wrote:Anybody seeing recent errors when the guide tries to update?

I'm getting this same error in Event Viewer too ... had a Windows 7 MCE running for a looong time (years) with no issues; very stable. Guide is running out quickly, noticed a day or so ago. Tried running MCupdate manually, tried running TV Signal update again with the options provided for my zip code. No help. Any ideas ????

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 am

You will need to setup the TV signal again. This was how I was able solve this issue. Depending on how many shows series you have scheduled (and how often they play), it might "take a while" for it fully finish setting up

donniew

Post by donniew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 am

choliscott wrote:You will need to setup the TV signal again. This was how I was able solve this issue. Depending on how many shows series you have scheduled (and how often they play), it might "take a while" for it fully finish setting up
Yep, I had already done that, along with running that service that's supposed to rebuild a possibly corrupt database - didn't help. I setup the TV signal again with a slightly different zip code with the same guide coverage and that worked. Any idea or ways to know if my original zip code may every work again ? Not sure it matters, just curious about the long-term viability of this and these fixes.