Guide: How to integrate Popcorn Time into Media Center!

Popcorn Time

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide: How to integrate Popcorn Time into Media Center!

Post by Popcorn Time » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 am

I have come across various ways to do this - none of which seem to work very well for me. After some trial and error, I have found a reasonable way to do this - thus:

1. Download and install Popcorn Time from here: https://popcorntime.io/
Only download it from here as there are some sites that have copied the code and tried to do their own version - this is the only one to use with the full functionality, great looks and updates.

2. Download and install MCE Reset Toolbox from here: http://www.acs-digital-media.com/mce-rtb-lite.html
This is the lite version and its free (for enough time to do whats needed). -ignore the fact it says its not for TV users. You can use other MCE management software but most seem to be defunct now. This one is good and works well.

NOTE: I tried adding an icon for Popcorn Time directly into WMC by inserting a shortcut to the program in: C:\Users\(your computer name)\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs - but Popcorn Time wouldn't open correctly and just opened a
'Node-webkit' browser window. Thats why I opted for MCE Reset Toolbox. It works first time and gives you a proper icon in WMC.

3. From within MCE Reset Toolbox (select the trial version when it starts up), create a new 'Entry Point' by selecting the 'Start Menu' tab on the top menu bar. Then select 'Application' also on the top menu bar.

4. In the title field type: Popcorn Time. In the path field click 'Browse' and then in the box that appears select 'LNK' from the dropdown list (just above the 'Open' and 'Cancel' bottom right) - EXE is selected by default).

5. After selecting 'LNK' - browse to the Popcorn Time shortcut that should already be on your desktop after installing Popcorn Time. The path should now look something like this: C:\Users\(your computer name)\Desktop\Popcorn Time.lnk

6. For the active image, browse to: C:\Users\(your computer name)\AppData\Local\Popcorn Time\src\app\images and select the Popcorn Time icon.

7. Under 'Required Capabilities' tick Audio, Direct X and Video. Under 'When launched do the following' select 'Close' from the dropdown list and tick 'Close on Green Button'.

8. Now close the Popcorn Time tab at the top making sure you save it when asked, revealing the 'Start Menu' screen. Now click 'Entry Points' at the bottom left.
This will reveal all the default entry points but also your new Popcorn Time entry will be in there. Click and drag the Popcorn Time entry point up onto the start menu to you desired location (I put mine next to recorded TV).

9. Now save and exit MCE Reset Toolbox.

10. Find the shortcut to Popcorn Time on you desktop, right click and select properties.
Add an ' -f ' on the end of the target field so it should look like this: "C:\Users\(your computer name)\AppData\Local\Popcorn Time\node-webkit\Popcorn Time.exe" . -f
* note there is a space between the last full stop and the -f This will ensure Popcorn Time opens in full screen mode when launched.

11. That should be it- open Media Center and you should find the Popcorn Time icon in the start menu where you put it. Select it and Media Center should close and Popcorn Time should open -full screen.
You can use the 'Clear' button on your WMC remote to go back to the main screen from the movie details and you should be able to browse the movies up and down / change volume with your WMC remote and use OK to select and play movies etc.
I haven't been able to find a way of toggling between Movies/TV etc via the remote yet- If you can work this out let us know - I suppose you could use remote mouse or there are some android/web (no iOS as Apple threw its toys out of the pram on this one) remotes in development on the Popcorn Time website : http://discuss.popcorntime.io/t/list-of ... trols/2044

12. Just press the green button to return to Media Center.

**Just noticed I cant get the mouse to disappear once you switch over to Popcorn Time, it just stays center screen and doesn't go after a short period like in Media Center. I have tried mouse hiding software but its still there! - any ideas?

When setup like this at least it enables a user to go smoothly from Media Center to Popcorn Time, Select and watch a movie, then return to Media Center all from the remote. Please let me know if you have any improvement on this method...

Popcorn Time

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Popcorn Time » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:23 pm

This guide can also be found on the Popcorn Time forums here:

http://discuss.popcorntime.io/t/guide-h ... ter/4116/1

Check for updates on there also for any further contributions.