Total Media Theater discontinued by Arcsoft

mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 am

You couldn't get it to work and that's the position you defend.

Is okay to advise somebody to buy a separate player, it doesn't mean is good advice assuming one came here for media center related purposes.
Last edited by mcewinter on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am

Arcsofts forum revealed a common tale unfortunately. Too many blips and nuances. Too long waiting for a patch to be able to play a disc. It was not a solution.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 am

mcewinter wrote:You couldn't get it to work and that's the position you defend.
STC is the one who could never get it to work right (to what degree, I don't know).

I already stated (earlier in this thread if you want to go back and check) it worked fine for me - I didn't like having to bust out the m&kb or RDP into the HTPC when the software needed updating. Getting a stand-alone player, so that i would only have to hit 'OK' from the remote when there was an update, was a much better solution for me I decided.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

STC wrote:Arcsofts forum revealed a common tale unfortunately. Too many blips and nuances. Too long waiting for a patch to be able to play a disc. It was not a solution.
I only mentioned AVSForums in case Ed needed hardware player advice.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:46 am

Ed  wrote:
STC is the one who could never get it to work right (to what degree, I don't know).

I already stated (earlier in this thread if you want to go back and check) it worked fine for me - I didn't like having to bust out the m&kb or RDP into the HTPC when the software needed updating. Getting a stand-alone player, so that i would only have to hit 'OK' from the remote when there was an update, was a much better solution for me I decided.
I've been using TMT for some years now. I never had to unexpectedly reach for a mouse or keyboard. There were a couple of updates, is that what you're talking about?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:04 am

PowerDVD isn't bad, not great mind you but it does work. Hardest part for me was getting the damn iMon software to pass the remote control codes to the PDVD program. Once I got that sorted its been ok. I haven't done extensive testing of it yet, (only played one disk) but it worked fine. I need to do more testing when I get time. I didn't like how it automatically added my movie libraries to it's own library but that was disabled immediately.. I just want it to play my DVD/Blu-Ray disks not the rest of my media. UI isn't great but not bad either. I will miss TMT though.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:07 am

mcewinter wrote:
Ed  wrote:

I've been using TMT for some years now. I never had to unexpectedly reach for a mouse or keyboard. There were a couple of updates, is that what you're talking about?
Yes, whenever there is an update. There's no way to do it without a m&kb or RDP into the HTPC and update it that way. I aim for my HTPC setup to be as appliance-like as possible. Minimizing the amount of times I need to bust out the m&kb, or RDP into the HTPC - no matter how few and far between those times might be - is a plus in my book. With a dedicated player - I just hit 'OK' on the update prompt. Simple as that, and why I chose it.

As of now, the only time I need to bust out the m&kb or RDP in, is when I add/edit metadata for a movie or TV show I just added to my archived collection. This means I can go looooong periods of time without ever having to reach for a m&kb or RDP in. I always end up adding at least a few movies a year - so I couldn't go years without having to grab a m&kb for the HTPC, or RDP into it, but I definitely go months without doing so, often. There are ways of automating that too (the metadata), but being as I don't always like the cover art it will pick, or the metadata might be off for some categories - I elect to do it myself. That, no matter the platform or device, is something I will always do myself if I can.
newfiend wrote:PowerDVD isn't bad, not great mind you but it does work. Hardest part for me was getting the damn iMon software to pass the remote control codes to the PDVD program. Once I got that sorted its been ok. I haven't done extensive testing of it yet, (only played one disk) but it worked fine. I need to do more testing when I get time. I didn't like how it automatically added my movie libraries to it's own library but that was disabled immediately.. I just want it to play my DVD/Blu-Ray disks not the rest of my media. UI isn't great but not bad either. I will miss TMT though.
Glad to hear it's somewhat usable for you ATM. As you know, everything you just described is for the birds in my book :D

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 am

You created this thread, is this what you've really been getting at? It's a plus in your book to not use a keyboard or mouse, therefore media center is a poor bluray solution?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 am

mcewinter wrote:You created this thread, is this what you've really been getting at? It's a plus in your book to not use a keyboard or mouse, therefore media center is a poor bluray solution?
The point of this thread was time to move on from TMT cause it's discontinued. Thread evolved into alternatives, which is a logical, and not a far off jump from the original topic whatsoever. We have different opinions of what the solution/alternative might be. You're mad cause me and STC aren't telling people something that crams into/gets added to WMC is the better solution; instead something outside of WMC- a dedicated device- is the better solution in our opinion.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

I decided to evaluate Corel WinDVD Pro 11 and Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra on my test HTPC. Both products put a shortcut in WMC, but PowerDVD integrates smoothly into WMC, whereas WinDVD is just a shortcut and opens its own window outside of WMC.

I'll continue to use TMT 6 until I encounter issues playing newer Blu-ray disks; but it's nice to know that PowerDVD is a viable alternative.
Attachments
br-player.png
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 am

Ed  wrote:Glad to hear it's somewhat usable for you ATM. As you know, everything you just described is for the birds in my book :D
I understand completely your and STC's point of view. You want an appliance type of experience for your home media. You want it to be trouble free at all times and to just work. There is nothing wrong with that. But A PC hooked up to a TV is NEVER going to be trouble free. When has a PC ever been trouble free? You're in IT for a living.. I am sure you can answer that question pretty easily. :D
Not that I'm stirring the pot here but just for the sake of discussion.. If you guys wanted appliance type of experience why did you ever select WMC in the first place? It's software and a computer that are both prone to bugs.. They require a KB/Mouse from time to time even headless. Or you may need to RDP into it to make changes, adjustments or even on Patch Tuesday every month for a reboot.
PowerDVD is a good option for now.. I'll use it until I can't anymore or a new/or better option comes along. But even though WMC has it's issues and I need to be the System Admin. at my house, I still think WMC gives me the best Entertainment experience I've had yet. We'll see what Android TV brings to the table when that hits the market but as with any software based solution it will have its issues as well..no?
newfiend~

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Why would I patch an appliance that works and is perfectly functional?

Answer: I wouldn't. And I don't.

You're introducing your own problems by insisting on letting MS patch Windows for a bunch of things that a dedicated WMC box will never ever be involved with.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I used to be very much into the one box solution. For years in fact. Times change. Things like Roku appear that make it really easy to do Netflix et al. These external bits just work.

Basically it suits my lifestyle now to have things that just work. I'm done with tweak fixing.

Please be aware that it doesn't detract from my MC experience. Some of you seem to think that I'm using WMC in a way not fit for purpose. This is most definitely not the case. I use WMC for TV only and I love what it and the other external parts do together as a team.

I can now get on with my life.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Newfiend I haven't had to tweak or investigate a glitch on my HTPC for over a year now. The only thing I've done recently is to check for guide inconsistencies as per the latest glitch (which thankfully doesn't seem to be affecting me btw). It's a breath of fresh air and something I've always wanted to happen from the first day using WMC.

How's that for an oxymoron! ;)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:50 pm

@Adam.. I understand where your coming from. However I have kids, they use the HTPC while I'm gone from home and for all I know could open up Internet Explorer and surf to any number of sites. Although I tell them "not to" doesn't mean "they won't" in my absence. So I patch windows on that machine as well as virus and malware check it on a regular basis. Keeping it up to date isn't what I want but more of a necessary evil in my case. I've had good luck that way and have been able to keep my infections to a minimum. So in my case my updating will continue (if it isn't broke don't fix it).. I just find it slightly humorous that we.. (PC Geeks and I mean that in the nicest way) complain about picking up a mouse and keyboard from time to time.. It's part of the HTPC experience.. Otherwise we all should still be using the cable box from Comcast or Time Warner ..etc.. The landscape is changing, everything seems to be moving to streaming it seems and that's fine. I don't expect WMC to be around forever. I'm sure at some point I as well will be sick of having to tweak this and that. You guys have been at it longer than I. I'll keep my options open for future developments in Android TV and maybe try that when it comes out. Regardless I appreciate all you guys here and your opinions on tech and all the help and guidance with WMC over the years. So for that.. Thanks! :)

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm

^ I get that totally. There is space in this world for us all and our differing requirements :D
You could be classed as a WMC die-hard :D and I've now transgressed to being just a user of the core service.
/oops I see you pointed your comments to Adam, I hope it's okay to reply.

On a side note may I recommend the pro version of Malwarebytes for preventing your home machines ever going to infected sites. Minimal maintenance.
They are still selling the lifetime single license for 19 bucks if interested let me know.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:21 pm

newfiend wrote: If you guys wanted appliance type of experience why did you ever select WMC in the first place? They require a KB/Mouse from time to time even headless. Or you may need to RDP into it to make changes, adjustments or even on Patch Tuesday every month for a reboot.
Cause it was the cheaper option to get whole home DVR :-P Actually, I started using WMC in 06 to house/display DVD rips, I didn't even use it for TV at first. That came shortly after I read up about it.

Aside from some unforseen consequence I might need to reboot for (hasn't happened yet); the only time I need to RDP in is for metadata like I mentioned. I used to install updates on patch Tuesday all the time when I had my HTPC at the TV. I'm lucky I guess in that updating never ever caused a problem for me, even though I heard the words of caution and horror stories of those burned before. But, since setting up the HTPC headless, I've since forgotten about/to update on patch Tuesdays. I doubt I'll even remember next time I'm adding metadata, so who knows when I'll even do that anymore, or if even :-D

There is a peaceful bliss found in simplicity IMO - I'll tell you that.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:37 pm

@STC.. Yeah, I don't mind you commenting on anything I post regardless of who I direct it at, in hind sight I should have probably not just pointed it at Adam but to all of you in general.[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I also, like ed have never had a windows update mess up WMC for me. NVIDIA drivers as of late yes (now fixed). Yeah I am clinging to WMC like a teenager to his date on prom night.. It's been an investment I'm not ready to part with yet. I hope I can nurse a few more years out of it before I finally move on but at the rate things are changing it may be sooner than that. My HTPC gives me very little issues really. I've managed to work out or around any quirks and mostly I just update Media Browser Server a couple times a month and windows update once a month. It really just sits there and does its job. I added Steam to it so I game occasionally on it too. For one box that does all that it does really well. I'm pretty happy with the end result. We all have different wants and needs in our own home theater environment. It's nice to know there are many options for all of us so we can pick what works best for our own individual needs.

tad

Post by tad » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:27 pm

What are our options for those of us who have ripped our bluray collections to ISO? Are there any standalone players that can play ISO w/ a nice interface?

I used PowerDVD previously and finally bought TMT a few months ago when I couldn't get PowerDVD to output DTS-HD Master. TMT has been working great. :-( :-(

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:46 pm

tad wrote:What are our options for those of us who have ripped our bluray collections to ISO? Are there any standalone players that can play ISO w/ a nice interface?

I used PowerDVD previously and finally bought TMT a few months ago when I couldn't get PowerDVD to output DTS-HD Master. TMT has been working great. :-( :-(
I have not tried it http://mikinho.com/wmc/mount-image/ you may need anydvd. It also can supposedly stream to extenders using a external transcoder.