Total Media Theater discontinued by Arcsoft

Post by Ed  » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_post ... ia-theater

Time to move on to dedicated BR players everyone :D

STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 pm

One step ahead of you ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 pm

STC wrote:One step ahead of you ;)
We could have saved our breath for how it was a better option for end users - Arcsoft settled the argument for us/them :P

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 pm

It was bound to happen. Bluray players are too inexpensive nowadays to warrant the $100 pricetag. Even when it's on sale, you can still get a standalone for a lot cheaper- plus you don't have to worry about software crashes, sudden bluray disk incompatibilities, etc.

With all the "smart" TVs out there, too bad none of them have a built in DVR and BD player already now that could potentially replace media center...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Ed  wrote:
STC wrote:One step ahead of you ;)
We could have saved our breath for how it was a better option for end users - Arcsoft settled the argument for us/them :P
You know I feel they aren't to blame. They certainly produced the best BR SW player IMO. My implementations always seemed to produce random playback glitches though...
Besides there's just not much money in this sort of thing now.

Too many changes by both O/S and DRM to keep up with.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Just out of pure curiosity .. Does the latest Power DVD 14 have the WMC plug-in still? Not that I will update (downgrade) to PowerDVD for WMC as I also have a dedicated BR-Disk player, but others that were (are) using TMT 5/6 might want an option for a software player.. Do you know if the latest version still works from WMC?
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:13 pm

^ I was going to suggest that TMT is still working quite well for everyone at present?

Then I saw this:
http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_post ... reen#54352

0YCeG_YuWF0
...and it reminded me why I quit the BRSWP game some time ago.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Dumb question: why would they pull the download itself?

I can understand discontinuing development, and even support, but to make it unavailable for existing paid customers is just plain...rude.

And software companies wonder why piracy exists.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 pm

adam1991 wrote:Dumb question: why would they pull the download itself?

I can understand discontinuing development, and even support, but to make it unavailable for existing paid customers is just plain...rude.

And software companies wonder why piracy exists.
Yeah, I don't get that either. If I paid for it I should be able to still log into my account and DL the software IMO.. Problem is now that support is dead once new disks come out that need new decryption keys we're screwed anyway. We're left either changing over to PowerDVD or Getting/using a stand alone player. Yet another nail in the WMC Coffin.. :roll:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am

I am a long term user of TMT and this is a sad day indeed. Is the one box home theatre solution really dead now?

I do think the retirement of TMT could have been handled better. There should have been advanced notice, perhaps an email to registered users, prior to pulling the product and downloads. There will be people who have purchased recently who are completely oblivious to this news.

My real concern are playback problems with new titles, like we have seen so many times before. I think Arcsoft should make a commitment to at least look into these for a period of time and if reasonable, fix them.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:45 am

Arcsoft was sued by Dolby Digital two years ago for breaching a license agreement. My educated guess is that they lost the lawsuit and as a result, had to bury TMT in a shallow grave.

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail ... eid=648633
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 pm

^Interesting. Thanks for the juicy.

You will all come to rejoice in a stand-alone BDP that just works, all the time. It will be quite refreshing. It was for our family.

A bitter taste in the mouth for those that just paid for it/an upgrade though...

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I suppose the all-in-one Home Theater was not meant to be...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Scallica wrote:
Arcsoft was sued by Dolby Digital two years ago for breaching a license agreement. My educated guess is that they lost the lawsuit and as a result, had to bury TMT in a shallow grave.

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail ... eid=648633
I was thinking windows 9 not having WMC was the decision but this makes sense.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:28 pm

STC wrote:^Interesting. Thanks for the juicy.

You will all come to rejoice in a stand-alone BDP that just works, all the time. It will be quite refreshing. It was for our family.

A bitter taste in the mouth for those that just paid for it/an upgrade though...
I think the word is surrender. :thumbdown:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:53 pm

STC wrote:You will all come to rejoice in a stand-alone BDP that just works, all the time. It will be quite refreshing. It was for our family.
<snort> You don't remember when DVD first came out, do you. Discs that wouldn't work, players that needed upgrades so you could watch The Matrix, etc, etc. And then Blu-ray Disc came out, and demanded--DEMANDED--network connectivity. Because, you know, if they're not able to control your whole experience (and remove capabilites from you that they don't want you to have), you're not allowed to view the content you PURCHASED.

"BDP that just works, all the time" is pure fantasy in my mind.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:59 pm

^ Try a modern one for yourself ;)

Now, if you buy a cheapo throw away one, then yes perhaps your experience will be marred.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Dam, and I just laminated the kb shortcuts to my desk.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 pm

So, I tried PowerDVD 14. It works in WMC (in case anyone didn't know that tidbit already).. Is it as nice (and simple) as TMT? NO...
but it works and still supported at the moment.

If you have an older Antec Case (like I do) with the iMon Software it can be a bit of a pain to get set up, but is feasible using the PowerDVD11.imo file.

I also didn't like how it tried to add all my media to it's library automatically (which I disabled). I don't play a lot of Blu-Ray disk's as most of my stuff is ripped to HDD on my server in .mkv files and I just use Media Browser for all of that. But I do have some movie's that aren't ripped and on Disk still so having playback capability (that's still supported) is important to me. I do also have a dedicated Blu-Ray player in the bedroom just in case but the loss of TMT seems like another step closer to Media Center's demise.

So the question I have for you all is.. If/When you guys decide to move on from WMC what will you replace it with? I'm curious to see your answers..
newfiend~

^ /moderator note: split topic to HERE

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

PDVD is the comprimise that I would investigate. While STC seems eager to drift away from MCs features, I'm not quite ready. As long as PDVD "works" then this is the route I'll take. At the moment, I do not see a viable alternative to MC.