Total Media Theater discontinued by Arcsoft

mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Ed  wrote:I just want the new guy who just signed up for the site and is reading this to see all given viewpoints on the matter :D
People don't come here to hear that they should buy a seperate player. They new that before they got here. Thanks for bringing this back around to the most valid point of the conversation.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 pm

mcewinter wrote:I have a wife and kid who take advantage of my setup quite successfully. If they want to play a disc they can just throw it in the MC. It just never really happens that way but the possibilty is there and waiting.
Hopefully PowerDVD works for you then (cause even though TMT works now, discs are gonna need an AACS update sooner or later). If not, you're gonna have to join the dark side and get a stand-alone BR player for them (if you want to keep that functionality) :P
mcewinter wrote:My setup also lends itself to be available make movies available elsewhere. I can hit a button in the MyMovies app to make a movie playable on Plex or an extender for that matter. The caveat is waiting for it to convert which is probably an issue for you but I appreciate the redundancy.
Yeah, I have a Plex server setup on my machine too, but I don't make redundant copies. I rip+encode 1 file from the start (but for a multitude of other reasons, and a whole other discussion).
mcewinter wrote:
Ed  wrote:I just want the new guy who just signed up for the site and is reading this to see all given viewpoints on the matter :D
People don't come here to hear that they should buy a seperate player. They new that before they got here. Thanks for bringing this back around to the most valid point of the conversation.
Lol what are you talking about, people always ask about the feasibility of making a 1 box solution, either here, on AVS or reddit. If you think everyone here at this site is only here cause they ONLY want to use WMC for everything - well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news...... but you might be alone in that matter. There are people here who are well versed in what WMC can/can't do, and those who believe it or not, might have just started looking at making an HTPC setup, and have no clue how or what to do. They don't deserve to hear only WMC propaganda - which it seems like is what you want - even at a WMC site - when there are possible better solutions.
Last edited by Ed  on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Hopefully Power DVD works indeed. I know who not to ask for advice on the matter ;) .

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:16 pm

mcewinter wrote:Hopefully Power DVD works indeed. I know who not to ask for advice on the matter ;) .
The thing with Media Center was supposed to be a PC used for all your entertainment needs (in one box essentially).. at least that's what it meant to me.
We all know that vision/dream is coming to an end.. Lack of support from MS has killed that vision off.. I don't want a bunch of stuff all over my entertainment stand to clutter it up.. It's not hard to "switch inputs" as everyone mentioned to me in other threads here.. that's not the problem. I just want to try and keep Media Center ... well... Media Center.
It's a PC.. they are prone to problems, updates, fixes, tweaking, b*tching, moaning and complaining.. Welcome to Windows.. lol

I can see where there are different views and opinions on this matter.. its very subjective and everyone has their own want's and needs for their own home entertainment. Some want it simple, pop it in and go. Others like me want to milk Media Center as long as possible and enjoy the "one box solution" (That we don't mind tweaking from time to time).

I will continue to use Media Center until I either can't anymore or something better comes along... But right now.. there isn't anything I like better. So I installed PowerDVD 14 for now and will use that until the next best thing comes. I don't watch many Disk movies (DVD or Blu-Ray) either but I do like the ability to watch the ones I do own that I haven't ripped yet, or don't want to rip.. So that's why I got PowerDVD. I can always use the Stand Alone player I have hooked up in the bedroom if worse comes to worse but I just don't want to drag it out every time I want to watch a movie in 1080p.
Everyone uses Windows/Media Center differently.. It's all in what fits your own individual needs best.
newfiend~

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

I told you the interface isn't as good as TMT's was. How are you liking it (or not) so far.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 pm

MC has inbuilt DVD playback not BD. Third party Arcsoft pulls out and now there are two choices:

PDVD
External Solution

For me there is only one workable answer and that is what we are discussing right here. Without prejudice or malice.

Am I still loving Media Center?
You betcha. More so in fact as I have very little maintenance to perform. The Nivarna of adminless duties ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 pm

No, I think mcewinter made his point quite clear in the end here:
mcewinter wrote:
He thinks everyone on this site should only use or at least only suggest WMC solutions, and only those, ever. No matter how much more of a hassle/detriment that might be to the user experience/setup; over using some other 'non-WMC solution'. Because we are at a WMC site.

That, I do think is laughable and ridiculous - and I couldn't see the mods/admins even thinking that; and they're the ones who own/operate/maintain this WMC-centric site. That's what his problem was with you I suggesting a stand-alone player. Because the stand-alone player won't fit into WMC. You'd smash the HTPC case and player trying, lol.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Now you're putting words in my mouth that nobody even solicited.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 pm

So then what did you mean by what you said in which I quoted you on?
mcewinter wrote: People don't come here to hear that they should buy a seperate player. They new that before they got here. Thanks for bringing this back around to the most valid point of the conversation.
Or, by this:
mcewinter wrote:Forgive me, I'm sure I'm repeating myself again but this is a Media Center forum. Moderators pointing peeps away from it seems to counter why people arrive here.
Please, if I'm wrong, correct me.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 pm

newfiend wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Hopefully Power DVD works indeed. I know who not to ask for advice on the matter ;) .
The thing with Media Center was supposed to be a PC used for all your entertainment needs (in one box essentially).. at least that's what it meant to me.
We all know that vision/dream is coming to an end.. Lack of support from MS has killed that vision off.. I don't want a bunch of stuff all over my entertainment stand to clutter it up.. It's not hard to "switch inputs" as everyone mentioned to me in other threads here.. that's not the problem. I just want to try and keep Media Center ... well... Media Center.
It's a PC.. they are prone to problems, updates, fixes, tweaking, b*tching, moaning and complaining.. Welcome to Windows.. lol

I can see where there are different views and opinions on this matter.. its very subjective and everyone has their own want's and needs for their own home entertainment. Some want it simple, pop it in and go. Others like me want to milk Media Center as long as possible and enjoy the "one box solution" (That we don't mind tweaking from time to time).

I will continue to use Media Center until I either can't anymore or something better comes along... But right now.. there isn't anything I like better. So I installed PowerDVD 14 for now and will use that until the next best thing comes. I don't watch many Disk movies (DVD or Blu-Ray) either but I do like the ability to watch the ones I do own that I haven't ripped yet, or don't want to rip.. So that's why I got PowerDVD. I can always use the Stand Alone player I have hooked up in the bedroom if worse comes to worse but I just don't want to drag it out every time I want to watch a movie in 1080p.
Everyone uses Windows/Media Center differently.. It's all in what fits your own individual needs best.
newfiend~
Thanks for the vote of confidence in PDVD as I'll inevitably make the switch. I just need it to work,I don't care about the interface as I rarely need to access it.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Ed  wrote:So then what did you mean by what you said in which I quoted you on?
mcewinter wrote: People don't come here to hear that they should buy a seperate player. They new that before they got here. Thanks for bringing this back around to the most valid point of the conversation.
Or, by this:
mcewinter wrote:Forgive me, I'm sure I'm repeating myself again but this is a Media Center forum. Moderators pointing peeps away from it seems to counter why people arrive here.
Please, if I'm wrong, correct me.
What don't you get? Who doesn't already know the availability of a standalone player? It is my opinion that advising one to buy one is an obvious solution that they were already aware of.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:27 pm

:Groan: unsubscribe

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 pm

And as I pointed out, someone might come here wondering if a BR player in the HTPC is better (or how to do it) than a stand-alone player, or vice versa. We are all well aware it's a subjective matter, as that's clearly established here. They deserve to hear both sides, all ways of achieving what they want, so they can make a decision with all the opinions/suggestions they read. What don't you get about THAT? Telling them only one side of the story (the 'WMC only' solution) is a disservice to them, and to whatever the the topic at hand might be. This goes for every topic you can think of regarding WMC - or anything else. Thinking you should only tell them of the 'WMC solutions' only - when there are other solutions that might not be 'WMC', but suit their needs just well or better - is straight up propaganda.
Last edited by Ed  on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Peeps how about we all stop going around in circles and leave it at that ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Ed  wrote:And as I pointed out, someone might come here wondering if a BR player in the HTPC is better (or how to do it) than a stand-alone player, or vice versa. We are all well aware it's a subjective matter, as that's clearly established here. They deserve to hear both sides, all ways of achieving what they want, so they can make a decision with all the opinions/suggestions they read. What don't you get about THAT? Telling them only one side of the story (the 'WMC only' solution) is a disservice to them, and to whatever the the topic at hand might be. This goes for every topic you can think of regarding WMC - or anything else. Thinking you should only tell them of the 'WMC solutions' only - when there are other solutions that might not be 'WMC', but suit their needs just well or better - is straight up propaganda.

Because people are looking for success stories in order better their experience, I'm guessing.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:40 pm

mcewinter wrote:Because people are looking for success stories in order better their experience, I'm guessing.
Ok, how does that preclude/exclude any answers that would mean doing something 'outside' of WMC? Plenty of success stories here do. They're not wrong or in the wrong place because some people found better ways to do something outside of WMC they used to do in WMC. They also shouldn't be prohibited from letting others know - simply because this is a WMC forum - and their info means some might do one less thing within WMC.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Ed  wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Because people are looking for success stories in order better their experience, I'm guessing.
Ok, how does that preclude/exclude any answers that would mean doing something 'outside' of WMC? Plenty of success stories here do. They're not wrong or in the wrong place because some people found better ways to do something outside of WMC they used to do in WMC. They also shouldn't be prohibited from letting others know - simply because this is a WMC forum - and their info means some might do one less thing within WMC.
I don't disagree with the above statement. I'm sorry you can't grasp what I'm saying.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am

When you say stuff like that, but then say you don't disagree with this:
mcewinter wrote:
Ed  wrote:
I don't disagree with the above statement. I'm sorry you can't grasp what I'm saying.
You're right - I can't understand what you're saying if you're all over the place. I don't see how you are unable to see those 2 points of view you just displayed here are conflicting. But, if you wanna leave it at that, so be it.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:16 am

C'mon. Do you really think it makes sense to come to a forum named after media center and readily advise people to buy a separate player? If it's last ditch effort so be it. This thread is about a software solution being discontinued. ...one that is used inside of media center. You might want to head to AVS Forums as it is more of a general equipment atmosphere.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 am

mcewinter wrote:C'mon. Do you really think it makes sense to come to a forum named after media center and readily advise people to buy a separate player? If it's last ditch effort so be it. This thread is about a software solution being discontinued. ...one that is used inside of media center.
Yes. Again - why should every answer here be WMC only? Especially when I (and others) view a stand alone player to be a better solution than the initial software that was discontinued to begin with.
mcewinter wrote:C'mon. Do you really think it makes sense to come to a forum named after media center and readily advise people to buy a separate player? If it's last ditch effort so be it. This thread is about a software solution being discontinued. ...one that is used inside of media center. You might want to head to AVS Forums as it is more of a general equipment atmosphere.
You honestly keep coming off as you want every answer to every question in this forum to give the 'WMC answer only'; even though just before you said you don't. When myself - and again, others (a mod at that) are trying to save people time, aggravation, etc - by suggesting a seperate non-WMC solution - is that wrong?
mcewinter wrote:If it's last ditch effort so be it.
You honestly think people here should choose the path of MOST resistance, pull their hair out, use a solution no matter how difficult/worse it might be than other solutions - as long as it keeps it within WMC? Because that's what your comments here imply.

If you're all for easy solutions - then you should have no issue with me or STC suggesting a stand-alone player. Even if you don't agree.

If you just wanna keep everyone locked into WMC for everything - no matter how much more difficult that makes it; especially versus other solutions 'not in WMC' - that's the only reason I can see for you saying what you are.
Last edited by Ed  on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.