Netflix Script Errors (again!)

likestowatchtv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix Script Errors (again!)

Post by likestowatchtv » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:34 am

I've been searching but can only find last year's Netflix Script Error (oh memories!). Anywho, I'm having Netflix Script Errors again on Windows 7 x64. I can watch Netflix just fine from any browser on this computer (oh except without my remote). I've been having this problem on and off for a few months I think. So I go to Netflix in Media Center, select something to watch and hit play. Typically, it will start loading and then I get a script error. I can dismiss it and watch the movie except that the error keeps popping up every few minutes. I was hoping if I waited patiently, it would go away, but it's only happening more frequently. So my errors (yup, not always the same):

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: The system cannot find the path specified.
Code: 0
URL: http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid= (personal stuff)

or

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 589
Char: 257
Error: Unable to get property "keepAlive" of undefined or null reference
Code: 0
URL: http://cdn1.nflxext.com/FilePackageGett ... /wiplayer- (seems personal)

I'm so tired of going to a browser to watch Netflix, I just want that stupid error to shut up and let me watch my movie that is playing just fine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Have you tried going into Internet Explorer and deleting all your temporary internet files and cookies? The Media Center addin for Netflix uses IE's cache.

likestowatchtv

Post by likestowatchtv » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:31 am

Funny, I never use IE, so no, I never clear cookies and what not from there. I do use CCleaner which I thought did the same thing and disk cleanup too. Last night I was getting the error, this morning I wasn't. It makes you feel crazy. I'll try your suggestion and see if the error comes back...and then try it again:)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 pm

I don't recommend using tools like CCleaner. Many tools like that cause more harm than good.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:53 am

I had scripts error as well when using Netflix. I'm contemplating switching to Chromecast or some other solution for Netflix etc as it is only matter of time when netflix in WMC stops working completely.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:12 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't recommend using tools like CCleaner. Many tools like that cause more harm than good.
Just so you know,
I've been using and recommending Ccleaner on XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 for some time, without negative results.
Not just the cleaner. I found that using the registry cleaner portion used in conjunction with Registry Clean Expert's Free Registry Defrag
clears errors in the registry to do with CC tuner problems. A good portion of the people I help don't have the money for a lot of add-ons.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 pm

On the main subject,
I have had script errors many times with Netflix and every time going to Internet Options
and the advanced tab, then select reset it clears everything including my errors.
The downside, It removes all personalization and if you use IE as your primary browser you
have to go through inputting everything all over again. (It does not effect your favorites)

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:58 am

Anyone else getting script errors again? Doesn't stop me from watching And only appears once when I start playing a movie so not a show stopper just an annoyance.

I have tried all the usual tricks reinstalling silverlight, resetting ie, clearing cache, history etc,

mike_va

Post by mike_va » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am

same here various errors

line 243
char 449
error unable to get property 'getData' etc

tried some of the methods on the internet with no luck

when I click ok on the error works fine. just started recently. slightly after the load symbol changed to that red circle

it appears I cannot attaché images at this forum that is weird...

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:43 am

mike_va wrote:same here various errors

line 243
char 449
error unable to get property 'getData' etc

tried some of the methods on the internet with no luck

when I click ok on the error works fine. just started recently. slightly after the load symbol changed to that red circle

it appears I cannot attaché images at this forum that is weird...
Good to know it is not just me and I can stop playing around with it. Hopefully it is fixed soon, I have a bad feeling Netflix plugins days in WMC are numbered (I really hope not)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm

You can attach images, it's just really hard to find and looks like it's grayed out (but isn't):
Capture.JPG

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm

3rob3 wrote:You can attach images, it's just really hard to find and looks like it's grayed out (but isn't):
Capture.JPG
It would be really nice if the site admin could change the font color of the upload attachment link. It took me forever to find it too.

joshpollard

Post by joshpollard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Try going into the Internet Explorer Options, go to the Advanced Tab, and uncheck the box labeled "Display a notification about every script error"
Josh Pollard
Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
The Digital Media Zone - http://theDigitalMediaZone.com

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:56 pm

joshpollard wrote:Try going into the Internet Explorer Options, go to the Advanced Tab, and uncheck the box labeled "Display a notification about every script error"
I already tried this before I originally posted but it still comes up. I have the setting you mentioned disabled and the two other debugging options. I am however running IE9 and haven't run any windows updates for a year, every time I run windows update or allow the media center download to run it breaks stuff so I turned it off long ago. If anyone doesn't have this error but has the latest updates installed can you please let me know.

mike_va

Post by mike_va » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 am

I have a computer with and without updates. Both have this problem. I have also posted on MS - have not had any luck with suggestions and troubleshooting though...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6986684294

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:05 am

Looks like this was fixed yesterday.

mike_va

Post by mike_va » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:26 pm

This was fixed on the laptop, not sure if an update did it or not. Or contacting netflix. :)

For the computer, I ended up updating (which of course broke some other things...) but not sure if that did it because I got inspired to do some registry edits from posts a few years back.

I also contacted netflix, who said that windows media center was not supported. Nice...

I run this wmc with remote kitten, which is no longer in the itunes store. Fantastic remote app though, shame.