Modern8 Metro Media Center Theme

misterpunn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by misterpunn » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Maybe I'm just dense, but how do I actually get the Modern8 theme to appear? I've downloaded the Modern8 "package" and added that Modern8 master folder to my Media Center Themer folder, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Do I need to edit the default and/or schema files, replacing everything manually with the individual corresponding file(s) from the Modern8 master package (for instance, copy and replace each of the menu icons from the Modern8 directory into the default/schema files?) Or is there a file inside of that Modern8 master package that I am supposed to be directing WMC to in order to get Modern8 in its entirety?

I'm just a little clueless on how I'm supposed to actually get Modern8 to become my theme. Is it a manual process (as I said, manually finding all the files in the master package and replacing the defaults in the default and schema files) or is it easier than that and I'm just missing something?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 am

It should be relatively straight forward.

1. Install Media Center Themer

2. Download and extract all of the contents of the Modern8 zip file.

3. Copy the contents of the extracted zip file to C:\ProgramData\Media Center Themer\
This should include over-righting the original MCTDefault.xml file. It is this file which controls what is changed.

For more advanced tweaking the online documentation is very good. It can get a little addictive though...

http://www.patchou.com/projects/media-c ... hemer/doc/
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks! I actually (finally) figured it out a few minutes after posting. I followed the tutorials in the MC Themer Help section and I had no problem switching the fonts and the background and even doing a registry edit to tell WMC to launch the different default file, but figuring out how to get the Modern8 them was the tough part., Eventually, I just copied the whole Modern8 folder and put it in the MC Themer folder and (once I figured-out which one it was) separated-out the .xml file for Modern8, putting that in the main MC Themer folder file. Then I used MC Themer Tools to tell it to use the Modern8 theme instead of the default.

I appreciate the help!