YAMMM on different PCs

sorethumbs

HTPC Specs: Show details

YAMMM on different PCs

Post by sorethumbs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

If I have a pc monitoring folders using YAMMM and it finds the metadata/cover art for a film - Will the movie info still be present if I were to simply move a particular folder containing the video & YAMMM fetched data to another media center pc?

Or does that 2nd pc also need to be running YAMMM?

Just reorganising my files and trying to see if it would be easier to back up all my movies to a hard drive already 'YAMMM'd' as it were
or whether I should just keep just the avi/mp4/mkv files only and run the program on each pc I move files to to fetch the data independently

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Should work fine. I use YAMMM on my HTPC then copy the movie folders over to a NAS drive. All the movie info displays fine.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:13 am

Yep you can have it on multiple PCs no problem. All of my movies are on a WHS and I have the My Media Center services (which includes yammm) on multiple PCs. Yammm keeps a local cache of metadata/boxart on each pc.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Sorry guys

So if I have a backup movie library on my nas drive with all movies in their individual folders containing artwork & metadata do I need to run yammm on each pc I copy those films to.

If I copy a film to a new pc - fire up media center will that movie's metadata be shown or must YAMMM be present on that pc to 'refresh' the cache and reload the info so it can be shown in media center

Ack

Post by Ack » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I haven't copied the movie folders to other PCs; I play the movie from the NAS. However, I'd think where ever you move the folder it should be OK. The YAMMM created folder has the folder.jpg and the xml file with the movie info. It would make sense that where the folder goes, so goes the cover art and information. YAMMM is just used to create the folder and get the movie data, it doesn't interact with Media Center.

Easy way to tell, copy a folder and give it a try. If you haven't set up YAMMM yet where you can try this, post back and I'd be glad to test it later today for you.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 pm

I have been trying it out tonight - all the artwork is fine when copying a folder to a new pc but the movie details are not there.

Its not a big deal was curious as to the workings of the process. As I said I like to backup my library and thought it would be good to store all movies with their data & artwork and be organised. As it looks its probably best to just store the video file and let yammm find the details on any new pc I move files to. I've discovered that with a large library if you move a lot to a new pc and then run yammm it kind of likes the folders to be free of any previous data/artwork and builds quicker

russds

Post by russds » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm

I've been playing with yammm lately, and noticed it seems like you need the service running on all your PCs. Initially I thought I could run yammm on my NAS, which would populate all the movie meta data on the NAS, and each htpc would be able to read that meta data, but it seems that yammm must be installed on each htpc, because it uses a local cache file which has all the metadata in it. It doesn't seem very intuitive, but this appears to be how it works. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of WMC or yammm. But maybe i'm missing something. is there a way to setup yammm, (or similar product) that would pouplate the meta data on the NAS in such a way that each htpc would be able to ready the metadata without extra software? Thanks!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Yammm only needs to run on one PC, you can specify other places to save the dvdinfocache files - like on another PC for instance.

Media Center will see the .xml files in the dvdinfocache folder that MC uses (on a per-user basis) and match that with the .xml in the movie folder.

I'll post better instructions when I get a chance - it does work well once it's set up.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

russds

Post by russds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:42 pm

holidayboy wrote:Yammm only needs to run on one PC, you can specify other places to save the dvdinfocache files - like on another PC for instance.

Media Center will see the .xml files in the dvdinfocache folder that MC uses (on a per-user basis) and match that with the .xml in the movie folder.

I'll post better instructions when I get a chance - it does work well once it's set up.
Oh great. Which version of yammm is that though? I'm running v13.10.26.827, and don't see any settings for storing .xml files in remote dvdinfocache folders. Thanks!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:24 pm

You need to share the dvdinfocache folder on each PC and then add those network shares as additional folders on the metadata tab.

I'll post more details later if you're unsure of the location of the cache folder. Struggling to find spare time these days!

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396192984361.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1396192984361.jpg
Rob.

russds

Post by russds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Great thanks! I don't see any of those options though on the yammm version I have. Where did you get that version?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm

I think that the latest yammm release is here (you need to sign up in order to get at it though):

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/yam ... 1310220076

I do have an older build that includes the metadata options that I could upload somewhere - as long as mikinho doesn't mind.....

yammm is also part of the Ceton MyMediaCenter stuff, so that's another option I guess......

http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/
Rob.

russds

Post by russds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:00 pm

holidayboy wrote:I think that the latest yammm release is here (you need to sign up in order to get at it though):
http://www.missingremote.com/forums/yam ... 1310220076
Yeah, that's where I got it actually, but I think there's a difference, my "Metadata" tab is much more reduced:
holidayboy wrote: I do have an older build that includes the metadata options that I could upload somewhere - as long as mikinho doesn't mind.....

If you know him, and can ask that would be great. Is there a reason the new version doesn't have those features though?
holidayboy wrote: yammm is also part of the Ceton MyMediaCenter stuff, so that's another option I guess......
Yeah, I had found that, (also MediaBrowser has a metadata system) but was trying to keep things as simple as possible, and really all I need/want is a metatag system that works with the native "Movies" list in WMC. YAMMM seemed to be the perfect little add on to do it.

Thanks for your help. I'm also going to post on the thread over at missingremote about the shared folder situation, and see if I can get more info.

Thanks!
-Russ

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Try this one:
yammm-setup-1.0.3867.zip
(266.67 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Rob.

russds

Post by russds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 pm

holidayboy wrote:Try this one:
Awesome thanks! I'm playing around with it. This version is different, and has a lot more options. Do you by chance know why the difference? It appears at some point the software forked, and current version is much more reduced than the older one. Weird.

russds

Post by russds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:58 pm

holidayboy wrote:Try this one:
Thanks for your help, unfortunately this one doesn't seem to work at all. I was playing with it last night, compeltely removed the other one, installed this one, but the movies aren't getting any *.xml files, or *.jpg files added. I checked, and the service is running, and it's pointing to the right Folder, but it doesn't seem like YAMMM is finding, or adding any files. I was playing around with it yesterday, but couldn't get anything. Is Dev still active on the software, do you happen to know if it's open source? I'm a .net developer, and wouldn't mind having a look under the hood, to see if i could add/fix anything. I havne't gotten any response from missingremote thread which seems to be the 'official' home of the software. Thanks for any advice!

Oddly, I know it's called "Yet Another" meta finder, but actually I can't seem to find any others that do what it does, which is just find the meta data for movies. I've played with MMC, and MediaBrowser, but they are so much more, does anybody happen to know if any other simple meta data finders for WMC? Thanks!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:10 pm

That version works OK for me - maybe double check permissions?

Do you see any CPU use for the yammm process if you stop and restart the service?

I don't have any other contact details for Mikinho I'm afraid.

I know of a few folks who use Media Center Master for metadata duties and they all seem to like it.
Rob.