Using Steam in 'Big Picture' mode

husterk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by husterk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I have followed the post about using Media Center Studio to launch Steam via my Media Center start menu. It works great on my PC. Thanks! However, all of the changes that I have made to the Media Center start menu are not being copied to my XBox 360. For example, I removed the Sports and Live TV menu strips since I never used them and added the Steam program under a new "Games" Menu Strip. All of this shows up fine on my PC but when I go to my XBox I still see the original default Media Center start menu. I have tried re-pairing my XBox with my PC but it does not seem to help. Is it possible to push these changes to my XBox or should I look into another method of connecting my media center PC to my TV (e.g. wireless HDMI)?

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:52 am

[quote=]

If you want to add custom menu to the WMC in Media Center Studio, open it, and then follow this step by step instructions:
0. Be sure your WMC is not running
1. Click on Restore Default
2. Click on Start menu tab (on both tabs actually, there are two)
3. In the upper Start Menu tab click on Menu strip (it will add the custom menu strip on the bottom of the whole menu WMC menu)
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and rename the custom menu strip by clicking on the little icon right, next to the strip name
5. In the upper Start Menu tab click on Application and fill this in
Title: Steam
Path: steam://open/bigpicture
put there some custom icon if you want
6. Click on the Save button on top of the MC studio window
7. Click on the Start menu tab (the bottom one, that shows the preview of the start menu)
8. on the bottom left of the MC studio window there's a little arrow with text "Entries" click it
9. Drag the Steam entry to the menu strip you want.
10. Save and run WMC
[/quote]

Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread. I'm quite desperate to implement the Steam and launch it on WMC. I'm quite a noob when it comes to hacking an add in on WMC. On the other hand, I followed the steps using media center studio, however after I processed the steps the WMC crashes. I have to click restore just to make WMC operational again.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 am

Pacmania wrote:
wrote:
If you want to add custom menu to the WMC in Media Center Studio, open it, and then follow this step by step instructions:
0. Be sure your WMC is not running
1. Click on Restore Default
2. Click on Start menu tab (on both tabs actually, there are two)
3. In the upper Start Menu tab click on Menu strip (it will add the custom menu strip on the bottom of the whole menu WMC menu)
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and rename the custom menu strip by clicking on the little icon right, next to the strip name
5. In the upper Start Menu tab click on Application and fill this in
Title: Steam
Path: steam://open/bigpicture
put there some custom icon if you want
6. Click on the Save button on top of the MC studio window
7. Click on the Start menu tab (the bottom one, that shows the preview of the start menu)
8. on the bottom left of the MC studio window there's a little arrow with text "Entries" click it
9. Drag the Steam entry to the menu strip you want.
10. Save and run WMC

@Pacmania
What version of Windows are you using Win7 or Win 8/8.1?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Pacmania wrote: Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread. I'm quite desperate to implement the Steam and launch it on WMC. I'm quite a noob when it comes to hacking an add in on WMC. On the other hand, I followed the steps using media center studio, however after I processed the steps the WMC crashes. I have to click restore just to make WMC operational again.
It would be much easier, and less prone to breaking, to use Relaunch to add a Steam entry point. It will put it in Gallery but you can find it there, click info (or right-click) and select add to Start menu.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:08 pm

I should try this. I have Steam on my Office/Gaming PC, Steam supports game streaming. So you could have a so, so HTPC and a high end gaming PC in another room.

You could play a high end game, with MAXED out graphics on a lower end PC if you wanted to. I even tried it on the crappiest Netbook (Windows 7 with a SSD) and I was shocked how good it worked with a WIRED connection (Wi-Fi was choppy)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:01 pm

[/quote]@Pacmania
What version of Windows are you using Win7 or Win 8/8.1?[/quote]

Hi, I was able to solve this issue. I already moved on. Thanks for the reply. BTW, My OS is Win7 and I'm also tinkering WMC on Win10 the fact that I'm using HD homerun prime for Live TV. So far, it's working.

Sjchmura

Post by Sjchmura » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:32 pm

So the Frankenstein wmc on Windows 10 works? Has anyone tried with CEton pci based cable cards ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk