Anyone bold enough to try XBMC "Eden" with new PVR support?

jjhtpc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jjhtpc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 am

This looks very promising. Someone has figured a way to use WMC as the backend for xbmc. If you have copy freely as I do, things just got real interesting. Especially when there are clients like the Pivos Xios out there. This just made it much easier to look at xbmc. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

asm495

Post by asm495 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 am

For me now the interface on XBMC is far superior to WMC. I have experimented with this and there are a few bugs to be worked out but this is as close to "SoftSled" as you're going to get.

Your media library for XBMC can be setup on your WMC box using a MySQL server. The TV itself can now be streamed across from the WMC box to XBMC clients. You can build a XBMC client on anything from a Raspberry Pi up (I'm going to use Intel NUCs).

If WMC finally gets too long in the tooth then all I would need to do is switch to a different TV backend. Unless you have protected content I would start planning your transition.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm

I just started testing it out. There are so many settings and skins that it's hard to get a good feel for what it could be. I'm having some trouble getting all of the buttons on my remote to work. I thought most Media Center remotes worked out of the box. I haven't had to much time to play. I have a Raspberry Pi on order.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm

sorry asm i cannot agree with that. i'm using one of the more well established skins and there are bugs everywhere in it. the skin is no longer being developed so no chance of correction. actually imo this is xbmc's biggest weakness, the interface. i find it to be very similar to WMC but as i say quite buggy. longer term i'm optimistic about the new mediabrowser, they are also looking at tv streaming too and the interface in that is much much better than xbmc. xbmc = pre 2000 tech, MB3 is built on current tech. they've already caught up with xbmc in just 6 months imo.

thats not saying i'm not using xbmc and enjoying it but lets be fair here

asm495

Post by asm495 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:02 am

bobbob wrote:sorry asm i cannot agree with that. i'm using one of the more well established skins and there are bugs everywhere in it. the skin is no longer being developed so no chance of correction. actually imo this is xbmc's biggest weakness, the interface. i find it to be very similar to WMC but as i say quite buggy. longer term i'm optimistic about the new mediabrowser, they are also looking at tv streaming too and the interface in that is much much better than xbmc. xbmc = pre 2000 tech, MB3 is built on current tech. they've already caught up with xbmc in just 6 months imo.

thats not saying i'm not using xbmc and enjoying it but lets be fair here
Interesting comment. Why do you say XBMC is pre-200 technology? I know it was first built for the original Xbox but it has come a long way since then. Personally I like the interface and there are active skin developers. In any case I need to find a replacement for WMC as it is clear that it does not have a future.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:01 am

just spend 5 minutes with mb3. look at the WMC app, the web app and what they are planning with the stand alone players the ios and android apps and so on and so on and so on. raspberry pi too. roku

in 6 months they have demonstrated what current tech can do. i believe xbmc is being held back by the tech they are using. and unfortunately xbmc is not built for live or even recorded tv, only large media collections (which i think it is actually brilliant at). i cannot see them being able to integrate these two vital components in a timely manner or successfully. i've been watching xbmc for about a year now when i started looking for wmc replacements, progress is slooow

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

I'm with bob on this, i find xbmc a bit meh....
mb3 looks like it could be AMAZING. It is already very good.
i just don't think u can beat wmc (yet) for PVR. That said i only have the tv row and mb3 row in my menu now i don't use wmc for pics or music. MB3 for music (beautiful) and w8 pics app(also beautiful AND remote friendly).
when mb3 theater comes out i guess i will just use wmc solely for tv.
Lee

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:23 pm

If you look at the credit to this project you will see familiar names that use to frequent these forums. They have since been silent. I think its because they have focused on XBMC. People have complained about crashing etc.... But looks very promising in deed.