Script for fixing media center studio

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Script for fixing media center studio

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm

have GOT to make sure these menus don't get foobar while we're gone. So, here's my solution to this problem.

The StartResources.DLL gets overwritten by MCUpdate, right?

I created the batch file below, then setup a Windows Scheduled Task. But, I didn't have it run at a set interval--rather, I set it to launch with the Trigger "On event - Log: Media Center, Source: MCUpdate". So, regardless of the time of day your MCUpdate screws up the file, this runs right afterward.

The only problem is that for SOME reason, I cant get it to restart MediaCenter all in one script, so I had to create a SECOND task to execute the ehshell command after my MediaCenterStartMenuFix task runs. (If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!)

I've also created and Entry Point on the Tasks strip to process the batch file....

(be careful of wordwrap)

>>> SMFix.CMD <<<

@ECHO OFF

TITLE Windows MediaCenter StartMenu Fix

REM START /WAIT TASKKILL /F /IM EHSHELL.EXE /T | EXIT

IF EXIST C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\dSM\ CD C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\dSM\
IF EXIST StartResources.old DEL StartResources.old
IF EXIST StartResources.dll REN StartResources.dll StartResources.old

IF EXIST C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\dSM-2\ CD C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\dSM-2\
IF EXIST StartResources.old DEL StartResources.old
IF EXIST StartResources.dll REN StartResources.dll StartResources.old

eventcreate /ID 1 /L APPLICATION /T INFORMATION /SO SMFIX /D "The Windows MediaCenter StartMenu Fix process has been executed."

REM START C:\Windows\eHome\EHSHELL.exe /directmedia:general | EXIT

EXIT

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Why not do what I did ? It's much easier. Find the MCfix.exe file, it's located around here. It's small and works perfect even today.( I can up load it if no one can find it). put it someplace safe on your hard drive (so it's not in your desktop or downloads, as your going to be using it all the time)

The Menus break because of the MCupdate runs. Go into the scheduled task, Start>Control panel>administrative tools> Scheduled tasks, expand down find the media canter tasks, Find the MCupdate that runs. Edit it, under the Action tabs, Hit new, and browse to your MCfix.exe. Hit OK and OK

What you should see 2 Start a program, One for the Mcupdate and the very NEXT one that MCfix.exe. So as soon as the Mcupdate runs breaking the menu, it will automatically run the MCfix and fix them. Even if you were watching TV, you would never see the menu change. I have been using this method for years now and my menus have never gone away.

This effects Media Center studio and MC reset toolbox (anything that changes the menus in WMC) and will cause problems with some other theming programs.

If you look over my past posts, I have posted this a handful of times...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

saeryn

Post by saeryn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 pm

By available on "here" do you mean the forum?

The MCFix piqued my interest because I wasn't aware of a problem with the guide.
I haven't been paying much attention lately but finally got around to stringing up the network and setting up my VM recorder so now trying to figure out how to wipe the settings so it'll pick up the local program guide.

So far I've updated the key in HKEYLM\..ProgramGuide but channel listing is not changing...