WTVwatcher download

Waynezo

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTVwatcher download

Post by Waynezo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Does any one know where I can get a wtvwatcher download? I need to reinstall

Also is there a better commercial skipping option that doesn't have to convert .wtv files? I'm using DVRMStoolbox and DTB addin on WMC7 with xbox 360 extender.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Later version of Comskip and Showanalyzer both read WTV files natively but I don't know how they compare.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Can I use comskip by itself?

I am testing mcebuddy 2.3 with wtv unprocessed profile and it crashes wmc7

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 am

You can use Comskip with DVRMStoolbox to automatically generate the xml file that will allow the DTBAddin to skip commercials in the WTV file while playing it in WMC.

The donor version of Comskip ($10 or more donation required) supports WTV files natively with no need to convert to dvr-ms format first.

If you just want to generate the XML file manually, you can use Commskip by itself with the WTV file as input.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 am

Space wrote:You can use Comskip with DVRMStoolbox to automatically generate the xml file that will allow the DTBAddin to skip commercials in the WTV file while playing it in WMC.

The donor version of Comskip ($10 or more donation required) supports WTV files natively with no need to convert to dvr-ms format first.

If you just want to generate the XML file manually, you can use Commskip by itself with the WTV file as input.
So DVRMStoolbox will not convert WTV hence the need for WTVwatcher but if I get the donate version of Comskip I can skip commercials without any file conversion. I'm also looking at mcebuddy but I guess the donation for it is $30

Any advice or opinions are appreciated

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:37 am

I use the free version of DVRMStoolbox and the donator version of Comskip to skip commercials in WMC.

I have the donator version of DVRMStoolbox, but it is really no different than the free version (for my purposes at least). I also prefer the way that the free version of DTBAddin works as opposed to the DVD style skipping that they implemented in the paid version.

Even without the donator version of Comskip, you can use DVRMStoolbox/Comskip to skip commercials on WTV files by having DVRMStoolbox call "wtvconverter.exe" (a program that comes with Windows) to convert the WTV file to a DVR-MS file. Then you have Comskip find the commercials on the converted file (generating the XML file) and then delete the DVR-MS file. The generated XML file can then be used to skip commercials in the original WTV file when played in WMC (even though it was generated from scanning the DVR-MS version of the video). I will warn you that the conversion process takes a lot of CPU and disk resources, so it is best to just spring for the donator version of Comskip.

By the way, I don't know much about WtvWatcher, but it seems that all it does is run "wtvconverter.exe" to convert the WTV to DVR-MS (and deletes the original WTV file which seems like a bad idea to me) so that other tools that don't support WTV files can work on the DVR-MS.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 am

A lot of good info. Thanks Space

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Waynezo wrote:Can I use comskip by itself?

I don't know about comskip but you can use showanalyzer with dtbaddin (no need for DVRMS toolbox) and you will find the installer in the extras folder of mcebuddy.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm

technodevotee wrote:
Waynezo wrote:Can I use comskip by itself?

I don't know about comskip but you can use showanalyzer with dtbaddin (no need for DVRMS toolbox) and you will find the installer in the extras folder of mcebuddy.
Excellent! I installed showanalyzer and had it analyse Rec TV folder and it processed .wtv file.

I guess now I just need to set up directory watcher.

Can you recommend a tutorial?
Thanks Waynezo

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

I was able to set up the directory watcher and it is creating 6 files per show (edl,xml,vprj, etc.) dtbaddin on WMC7 doesn't
see the file (error message commercial file does not exist)

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:00 am

Compare the location specified under the commercial skip tab in dvrmst and the one configured in ShowAnalyzer. I don't know how wtvwatcher was configured but the default for dvrmst is users\public\dvrmstoolbox\commercialsxml but the default for SA is the same place the recorded TV files were found - usually users\public\recorded TV.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:35 am

Showanalyzer is processing files OK, but commercial detection is not 100% accurate.
Can you recommend a guide to tweak the settings?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 am

I have the same problem and have gone through the information about SA here https://www.engadget.com/2010/08/02/how ... ection-ac/ so I have asked elsewhere if anyone had already gone through the pain of configuring for UK TV shows and could save me re-inventing the wheel. No luck so far.

There is a camp that thinks comskip is more accurate but since I already have ShowAnalyzer I'm not keen on paying for another product.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am

Yes I'll use showanalyzer for now but I may need to consider comskip donater

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:38 am

I used SA for years on Windows Vista and it was always very good. When I switched to Windows 7, I couldn't get it to work properly and gave up (mostly due to all the faffing about causing diminishing WAF). Since switching to Windows 10, I've been having a problem with fast forward/rewind during playback or catch-up causing the Media Center video to freeze (posted another thread about that) and started playing with Ad-skipping again.

I think the detection method used by SA is a bit out of date and doesn't know about some of the tricks the broadcasters use to defeat such things but I'm going to persevere tweaking the settings to try and improve it.

Incidentally, I think DTBAddin only uses the xml and edl files so you can turn off the other types in the SA menu.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:52 am

"Incidentally, I think DTBAddin only uses the xml and edl files so you can turn off the other types in the SA menu."

Good to know

How did you get Windows Media Center in win 10?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 am

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ternatives

There are a few caveats but it works fine for me here in the UK on terrestrial and satellite.

Waynezo

Post by Waynezo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Is there a way to configure SA to automatically kill an engine process that hangs?