MCEBuddy install?

wilkcards

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCEBuddy install?

Post by wilkcards » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:44 am

How can I download the latest free version of MCEBuddy to try it? The web site is so confusing and has deceptive links that downloads text files suggesting you pay for the product. Well I would like to try it first...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Well, it clearly states that 2.3.13 is the last version you can download for free. :)

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/releases/view/105099
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

wilkcards

Post by wilkcards » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Scallica wrote:Well, it clearly states that 2.3.13 is the last version you can download for free. :)

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/releases/view/105099
Thanks, I somehow overlooked it

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Same here, I want to give MCEBuddy & Comskip a trial but both seem to need donator versions to convert/delete commercials of original wtv files. The last free version 2.3.13 referred to above states:

2.3.13 Known Issues:
1. WTV profile does not work in 2.3.13, please upgrade to 2.3.15 (or later) for creating WTV files

Does that mean it won't convert wtv files? So is my only option to pay USD $30 to MCEBuddy & USD $10 to Comskip to try them out?

I am aware there are other options out there: DVRMSToolbox (website down?), ShowAnalayzer (download website gone: non-supported), WTV Watcher (converts to dvrms only?)..... etc But having done a wee bit of research it looks like the above are the best options.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Wheeker wrote: please upgrade to 2.3.15 (or later) for creating WTV files
The last free version doesn't work for creating WTV files, but it will convert them to something else just fine. It will take longer than the paid version of each though.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:13 pm

As far as I know the only options for commercial detection are Comskip and ShowAnalyzer; the other options you mentioned can be used to automatically run the commercial detection on the recorded WTV files, but they need to call one of these external programs to do the actual commercial detection.

Also, unless you get the donator version of Comskip or ShowAnalyzer, you will need to first convert the WTV file to a DVR-MS file before scanning for commercials (part of what programs like DVRMSToolbox and WTV Watcher can do for you by calling a program that is included with WMC).

DVRMSToolbox is pretty powerful, but it also requires some skills and knowledge to get it set up correctly. I am not familiar with other options, but they may be easier for a novice.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:24 pm

3rob3 wrote:The last free version doesn't work for creating WTV files, but it will convert them to something else just fine. It will take longer than the paid version of each though.
Out of curiosity, if I convert to mp4 will they still appear under Recorded TV or do I need something else for them? I've looked at MCEBuddy a bit for that purpose and really don't care if it stays in WTV format. I didn't realize it'd take longer with the free one though.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm

No, they don't show up in Recorded Tv anymore. Most people rename them in a Plex/Kodi/Emby friendly format and move them to a directory monitored by one of those apps. Or you could just use the videos section to view them, bit you won't have any metadata.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys. So I can use MCEBuddy v2.3.13 (free version) to convert wtv files to mp4, but it will take longer. TBH I just wanted to trial it & if it all works as I want it, I will donate to get the faster donator version.
3rob3 wrote:No, they don't show up in Recorded Tv anymore. Most people rename them in a Plex/Kodi/Emby friendly format and move them to a directory monitored by one of those apps. Or you could just use the videos section to view them, bit you won't have any metadata.

I was wondering the same & I started a seperate thread on it: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =9&t=10823 RecordedTVHD is the way to go (& it's now free!)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Wheeker wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. So I can use MCEBuddy v2.3.13 (free version) to convert wtv files to mp4, but it will take longer. TBH I just wanted to trial it & if it all works as I want it, I will donate to get the faster donator version.
3rob3 wrote:No, they don't show up in Recorded Tv anymore. Most people rename them in a Plex/Kodi/Emby friendly format and move them to a directory monitored by one of those apps. Or you could just use the videos section to view them, bit you won't have any metadata.

I was wondering the same & I started a seperate thread on it: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =9&t=10823 RecordedTVHD is the way to go (& it's now free!)
Yep, RecordedTV HD is another option. Probably the easiest for OP too.