Recommended add-ons

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommended add-ons

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

I am a new WMC user but I have used Kodi in the past, and I still use JRIver in my main TV room. I came to WMC because it supports DRM, and I do not want to mess with cable box fees, plus their UI is clunky and ugly. My WMC setup so far is a sony VAIO laptop that I would like to use for Live TV, a Dell desktop I have in my Theater room with JRiver, and an HD Homerun Prime tuner with cable card that I have yet to successfully get running. I don't have functional coax cables ran throughout the house, but I do have one room with a working cable feed through Coax. I have this one line split three ways between my HDHR, router, and SDV. I subscribe to cox cable because its that or nothing.

I would like to configure WMC so that it can read my JRiver library, and display cover art, along with all the nice graphics. I see some people integrating Emby into their setup, but I am wondering If i can do the same with JRiver?

I also have a powerDVD 15 license, and I would like to use that for DVD/Bluray playback on my WMC machine so any help configuring this would be appreciated.

What do I need to install for codecs? I see some users installing LAV but I'm not exactly sure what this would do for me but I want the best PQ that I can get.

I have a subscription to netflix, and amazon prime, and I have downloaded the netflix plugin but have not had time to try it out. Can anyone offer any advice to ensure these plugins run smoothly?

A few caveats, I use eventghost heavily in my theater room, along with the Win10 Netflix remote controller, and I am wondering if there has been a need to use EG in windows seven setups as well. Last of all, I plan on controlling the entire setup with a dell xps gyration MCE remote.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:42 am

I have heard some good reports about JRiver but have never used it. Why don't you tell us more about it. About all I know is it is very similar to WMC and the only difference the lack of being able to play DRM.

Due to your experience with JRiver, WMC should be easy for you. To setup WMC to see your JR library....Go to Tasls/Settings/MediaLibraries

Most of those apps you mention do work, have worked, or are being worked on, for WMC.

I use WMC as my main media center. I use Emby mainly as a webserver, so I can have my WMC in the truck or wherever I happen to be.

Welcome to TGB

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm

JRiver does pretty well but its actually quite a bit different than WMC in a few different areas. The biggest complaints I have about JRiver are its lack of plugins, and second would be no DRM. WMC has a more simple interface, and it is easier to navigate and customize, while JRiver customization means modifying xml pages, and moving new images in various folders. For live TV, I think they both work about the same, and I can't say I have too many complaints about either, and JRiver is constantly improving their live TV functionality.

JRiver beats WMC hands down when it comes to media management, and picture and sound quality. There are about a million different ways to view your files, most of which I don't use, and it has a kind of database view where you can tag, modify, or move files. JRiver also comes out with a "major" update each year, and it costs money. I think I bought the software for about 50 bucks the first time, and each year I pay about 20 bucks to upgrade to the next version. You don't have to upgrade, and old versions should keep working fine. JRiver does have remote access capabilities, but no encryption support although a few people are pushing for it. JRiver also has a decent web view. The nice thing about JRiver is its still being developed on windows 10, and Like I mentioned in the OP, there is decent netflix AHK script out there that integrates nicely with it. I use WMC in the living room because I am counting on my cable company to turn on DRM someday, and I don't want my stuff to break. I honestly like the ease of use of WMC for everyday usage more so than JRiver, and thats why WMC is on my TV I use everyday, and JRiver is in the theater room. So far, I've run Emby, and Plex on the same machine as JRiver, and never really noticed any problems. I see a few different people recommending plex next to JRiver for wife approval.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm

jachin99 wrote:JRiver does pretty well but its actually quite a bit different than WMC in a few different areas. The biggest complaints I have about JRiver are its lack of plugins, and second would be no DRM.
Jriver was a on Kickstarter trying to raise money to get DRM support. After the interface on the HDR package (most people saw WMC looks worlds better), there was a shock that Jriver never even got close to what they needed to do it.

Not sure if everyone knew that...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

jachin99 wrote:I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.
If you know my posts here, i still love WMC and still use it every day. I was crossing my fingers that JRiver got it tho. It would of been nice for a little change every once and a while. As JRiver was trying to licenecne playready, the same playready that WMC uses. So if they hit their goal, it would be possable that you could run them BOTH on the same machine, and WMC would of been able to run JRiver files and the other way around.

A complete change of look every week....oh, well...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm

As for Recoomended addons... There is a LOT of apps around. A lot of them are older but, for the most part a good chunk of them still work. A lot are test and see if they will work for you.

1. If your going to use the Movie Library in WMC, YAMMM is a god for Meta data and art for it...It's automatic for the most part
2. If you rip blue-ray or DVD, there is a Rip & COmpress app with a 3rd party plugin (MAKEMKV), it works pretty well STILL
3. Get a copy of ReLaunch, you can make a website an app, or 3rd party apps to run right from WMC (search for my Youtube request, it's great).
4. If you are using WIndows 7, Media Center Studio, you can apply themes or or edit the start menu in WMC (move things around) or if you just want to theme Patchou's Media Center Themer is what you want.

Look over the Wiki and maybe you can find others you like...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:19 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
jachin99 wrote:I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.
If you know my posts here, i still love WMC and still use it every day. I was crossing my fingers that JRiver got it tho. It would of been nice for a little change every once and a while. As JRiver was trying to licenecne playready, the same playready that WMC uses. So if they hit their goal, it would be possable that you could run them BOTH on the same machine, and WMC would of been able to run JRiver files and the other way around.

I'm lucky enough to not have DRM on most of my cable channels, but I don't know how long it would last. JRiver can monitor folders, and auto import its own coverart, etc so they could live side by side, and each could play the other's library. WMC still takes the prize for a simple interface, and if I were to use both, I would have to learn how to use another piece of software, which is something I'm looking to avoid as much as possible. Simplicity is starting to mean a lot more to me.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 pm

jachin99 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

I'm lucky enough to not have DRM on most of my cable channels, but I don't know how long it would last. JRiver can monitor folders, and auto import its own coverart, etc so they could live side by side, and each could play the other's library. WMC still takes the prize for a simple interface, and if I were to use both, I would have to learn how to use another piece of software, which is something I'm looking to avoid as much as possible. Simplicity is starting to mean a lot more to me.
Same here but, I have a few channels that do enable it time to time. 99.5% of my recordings are not protected. It still COULD be an issue so I wont change. I am paying for TV I expect to e able to watch it.

WMC was the ONLY system that did very well on the WAF. I tried many flavors years ago and my wife played with most of them. WMC was the only one who won that battle...

WAF=Wife Acceptance Factor

If there was 1 that failed many times, it's the 360 Extender, as if your watching TV or set something to record, it's 99% fine but, when your trying to watch other content, movies, or just video files, it's hit or miss. It's too the point where the wife will only use it for TV unless I tell her that XX movie will play (normally a simple SD video, as I know 100% it will play)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:42 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm As for Recoomended addons... There is a LOT of apps around.

4. If you are using WIndows 7, Media Center Studio, you can apply themes or or edit the start menu in WMC (move things around) or if you just want to theme Patchou's Media Center Themer is what you want.

Look over the Wiki and maybe you can find others you like...
Hi David,

I've been using Media Center Studio on my WMC7 box for years but I've read that many users prefer Patchou's Media Center Themer. I figured "Why not waste a Saturday?" and see what it does!

I headed over to the TGB wiki (link) and the download link doesn't work anymore. In fact, if you try to go to the root of that website (www.patchou.com) it redirects to his new website which doesn't even mention Media Center Themer.

If he has abandoned the software, do you think you (or someone else) could upload the installer to the TGB wiki page?

Thanks!

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:10 pm

I can host a copy and upload one to the new 3rd party apps repository as well. In the mean time if you don't want to wait you can use the web archive. If you search the forums there is a program called mct tools that will convert your old MCs themes to a mct format.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Here is a link to MCT and MCT Tools https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BVg2N ... oyGtmIqt71

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:55 am

Thank you!