Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:52 pm

freetvee.com wrote:I can verify that relaunch does work and is great for Netflix & anything else! It creates a new Chrome/IE/other software shortcut app in WMC (in this case Netflix.com). You do NOT need a mouse to launch or close it-ok/select launches it from WMC & a simple Green button push closes it. I personally use a remote with mouse built in so navigate netflix.com on Chrome using that. Although I have noticed the arrows will move you around the browser, I dont think there is any way to select what you want to watch w/o a mouse??? Perhaps there is a trick in Chrome to do that, or another add on that will accomplish this, but I never had the need to explore more. Most important, my young kids and wife have no issues working this & we can keep the 1 HTPC WMC box working for everything!
Thanks. I used to use Relaunch a lot, for Netflix, Youtube, HBO, NASA, BBC iPlayer and other things I couldn't get in WMC. But since I have to use a mouse anyway, jumping out of WMC into Chrome works better, so I gave up. If someone could get the Win 8.x keyboard support hack posted earlier working on Win 7, we'd be in business. But that still doesn't fix the lower resolution, assuming that bothers you (it bothers me).

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:58 pm

tens of thousands of users that utalize WMC daily....
hahahahaha

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

mdavej wrote:
freetvee.com wrote:I can verify that relaunch does work and is great for Netflix & anything else! It creates a new Chrome/IE/other software shortcut app in WMC (in this case Netflix.com). You do NOT need a mouse to launch or close it-ok/select launches it from WMC & a simple Green button push closes it. I personally use a remote with mouse built in so navigate netflix.com on Chrome using that. Although I have noticed the arrows will move you around the browser, I dont think there is any way to select what you want to watch w/o a mouse??? Perhaps there is a trick in Chrome to do that, or another add on that will accomplish this, but I never had the need to explore more. Most important, my young kids and wife have no issues working this & we can keep the 1 HTPC WMC box working for everything!
Thanks. I used to use Relaunch a lot, for Netflix, Youtube, HBO, NASA, BBC iPlayer and other things I couldn't get in WMC. But since I have to use a mouse anyway, jumping out of WMC into Chrome works better, so I gave up. If someone could get the Win 8.x keyboard support hack posted earlier working on Win 7, we'd be in business. But that still doesn't fix the lower resolution, assuming that bothers you (it bothers me).
What bothers me is my wife & kids not being able to use the system... :lol: I dont notice any issues streaming netflix via Chrome Browser. Is there some link from Netflix or elsewhere that shows what the max streaming quality is by streaming device-PC w/ chrome browser, fire TV, roku, etc.? Obviously there are other factors too, but curious what the best way to know or tell what quality your netflix is streaming at?

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:30 pm

freetvee.com wrote:... but curious what the best way to know or tell what quality your netflix is streaming at?
Netflix search: "Example Short 23.976" and play the first search result.
The streaming bitrate and screen resolution will be displayed and updated dynamically on the upper left of the screen. Best way I'm aware of, but there may be other ways.

someperson

Post by someperson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 pm

I talked to someone at Netflix last night and he told me that they're working on adding support for remotes and game controllers to the Windows 8 app. Hopefully that's true and will be a proper solution to this mess.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:28 pm

someperson wrote:I talked to someone at Netflix last night and he told me that they're working on adding support for remotes and game controllers to the Windows 8 app. Hopefully that's true and will be a proper solution to this mess.
Don't hold your breath.

[Moderator note: off-topic posts deleted]

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Yet another frustration (on top of the recent EPG woes)... Netflix plugin for WMC will not work after September 15th.
There's a post here on some alternatives http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfulle ... 15th-2015/, but they mostly involve running 3rd party apps which don't play nice with the remote, and mostly don't give a 10-foot interface. I like being able to click through to Netflix seamlessly, and read everything in a nice big font without having to get off my chair and grab the mouse and get right up close to the screen to read a film synopsis.

One potential workaround is this utility (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... ia-center/) which can add a weblink to the Extras menu in media center. Potentially could use it to provide a click-through to a browser window and your Netflix home page. Not perfect but it'll do for now.

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:43 am

Well it looks like that was the final nail in the coffin for media center. It looks like it will be a TiVo for dvr and streaming. Cinemar for movies and music. Cinemat isn't cheap but I can repurpose my media center hardware for that. I'm looking at Jriver as well it's way cheaper but doesn't offer the the customization the cinemar offers, but I'm still researching. I love my movies so I'll have to see how Cinemar handles movie info. My movies is great for cataloging. It's been a great run, I started with MCE XP and never looked back, but now it's just not worth the trouble anymore. I need solutions that work and offer the content that I want at my fingertips. The ones that I just mentioned do, but they will reside in two boxes now.

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Teddyboy16 wrote:Well it looks like that was the final nail in the coffin for media center. It looks like it will be a TiVo for dvr and streaming. Cinemar for movies and music. Cinemat isn't cheap but I can repurpose my media center hardware for that. I'm looking at Jriver as well it's way cheaper but doesn't offer the the customization the cinemar offers, but I'm still researching. I love my movies so I'll have to see how Cinemar handles movie info. My movies is great for cataloging. It's been a great run, I started with MCE XP and never looked back, but now it's just not worth the trouble anymore. I need solutions that work and offer the content that I want at my fingertips. The ones that I just mentioned do, but they will reside in two boxes now.
Nah, I'll keep using WMC7 as long as TWC marks everything copy once. It would cost FAR too much to switch to a tivo with comparable specs...

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I have been getting the notice too. Just sayin, WMC is the reason I subscribed to netflix in the first place. If it stops working, I have no reason to continue their service. They claim to have a list of compatible devices on their web site. Fine, if they want to mail me one free of charge, I might continue using their service, but if not, then they've lost another customer. Between this and the EPG thing, it sounds almost like a conspiracy between M$ and netflix to kill off WMC and force everybody over to Kodi. Compared to WMC, working with Kodi is like chewing on broken glass, but at least it works.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Really? You wouldn't spend thirty bucks on a Roku of some flavor?

Get over it.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:04 pm

adam1991 wrote:Really? You wouldn't spend thirty bucks on a Roku of some flavor?

Get over it.
Someone on here last year was talking about Roku TV, where there is no stick and it boots right up to Roku... I got one based on that, and it is so nice. It can add physical TV inputs like Roku channels that show up on the home page, so going from Media Center to any Roku Channel is simple. I saw that some of the new Roku TVs coming out are going to have Gigabit wired connections, but even the wireless in my works just fine. Secretly wishing some of the other TVs die so they can be replaced with one of these and make things even easier around here.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
adam1991 wrote:Really? You wouldn't spend thirty bucks on a Roku of some flavor?

Get over it.
Someone on here last year was talking about Roku TV, where there is no stick and it boots right up to Roku... I got one based on that, and it is so nice. It can add physical TV inputs like Roku channels that show up on the home page, so going from Media Center to any Roku Channel is simple. I saw that some of the new Roku TVs coming out are going to have Gigabit wired connections, but even the wireless in my works just fine. Secretly wishing some of the other TVs die so they can be replaced with one of these and make things even easier around here.
TCL is one company that has the Roku OS built into their TVs. Not sure who else.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Ed  wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:

Get over it.
TCL is one company that has the Roku OS built into their TVs. Not sure who else.
Hisense is the brand I bought and am very impressed with. Sharp and Haier just joined the party, and I think the Best Buy Insignia line has some. Sharp is who I was told would have a wired connection.

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:04 am

Get over it.
No I wouldn't. I have too many boxes here already. I want fewer not more. No thanks. How many tuners does that $30 roku box have? How many episodes does it store before it gets full? Does it work when the internet is down to play my pre-recorded shows?

I liked netflix, but they obviously don't like me or want me as a customer. I refuse to spend $30 or even $1 just because a big corporation says I have to. Before I started using WMC, I got along just fine without netflix and will continue to do so in the future.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:28 am

Doctor Feelgood wrote:

Get over it.
That was me. I'm watching my Roku TV right now.

Glad you like it.

Yes, I too worried about the wireless-only nature of the network connection. But it's been fine so far. However, the next time, should I have the choice, I will still go wired--because it's more reliable, and I have the necessary wiring in place.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:31 am

Ed  wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:

Get over it.
HiSense for another.

A year or so I stumbled upon a refurb HiSense 55" TV from Newegg for cheap; I bought it, and am very happy with it. Based on that, when I went for a new Roku TV I chose HiSense.

It has one little thing about it that I've gotten used to but would still rather not have: when I pause WMC and then hit play again, the video starts right back up but the audio takes a couple beats to start coming through. This doesn't happen when I'm viewing a Roku channel directly. It may have something to do with my audio out setup; in other words, it may not happen if I use the built in speakers. I dunno. But it does, and I notice it now and again.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:13 am

Still working.....wonder when it will quit?

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 am

3rob3 wrote:Still working.....wonder when it will quit?
After the 15th. Early AM 16th, and the Netflix button is now gone from my installs.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

Mine was still there, and still worked. Did a guide update.....still there. Rebooted.....gone.