Recommended add-ons

Recommended add-ons

Post#1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

I am a new WMC user but I have used Kodi in the past, and I still use JRIver in my main TV room. I came to WMC because it supports DRM, and I do not want to mess with cable box fees, plus their UI is clunky and ugly. My WMC setup so far is a sony VAIO laptop that I would like to use for Live TV, a Dell desktop I have in my Theater room with JRiver, and an HD Homerun Prime tuner with cable card that I have yet to successfully get running. I don't have functional coax cables ran throughout the house, but I do have one room with a working cable feed through Coax. I have this one line split three ways between my HDHR, router, and SDV. I subscribe to cox cable because its that or nothing.

I would like to configure WMC so that it can read my JRiver library, and display cover art, along with all the nice graphics. I see some people integrating Emby into their setup, but I am wondering If i can do the same with JRiver?

I also have a powerDVD 15 license, and I would like to use that for DVD/Bluray playback on my WMC machine so any help configuring this would be appreciated.

What do I need to install for codecs? I see some users installing LAV but I'm not exactly sure what this would do for me but I want the best PQ that I can get.

I have a subscription to netflix, and amazon prime, and I have downloaded the netflix plugin but have not had time to try it out. Can anyone offer any advice to ensure these plugins run smoothly?

A few caveats, I use eventghost heavily in my theater room, along with the Win10 Netflix remote controller, and I am wondering if there has been a need to use EG in windows seven setups as well. Last of all, I plan on controlling the entire setup with a dell xps gyration MCE remote.
jachin99
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 24 February 2016

Post#2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:42 am

I have heard some good reports about JRiver but have never used it. Why don't you tell us more about it. About all I know is it is very similar to WMC and the only difference the lack of being able to play DRM.

Due to your experience with JRiver, WMC should be easy for you. To setup WMC to see your JR library....Go to Tasls/Settings/MediaLibraries

Most of those apps you mention do work, have worked, or are being worked on, for WMC.

I use WMC as my main media center. I use Emby mainly as a webserver, so I can have my WMC in the truck or wherever I happen to be.

Welcome to TGB
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3696
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#3 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm

JRiver does pretty well but its actually quite a bit different than WMC in a few different areas. The biggest complaints I have about JRiver are its lack of plugins, and second would be no DRM. WMC has a more simple interface, and it is easier to navigate and customize, while JRiver customization means modifying xml pages, and moving new images in various folders. For live TV, I think they both work about the same, and I can't say I have too many complaints about either, and JRiver is constantly improving their live TV functionality.

JRiver beats WMC hands down when it comes to media management, and picture and sound quality. There are about a million different ways to view your files, most of which I don't use, and it has a kind of database view where you can tag, modify, or move files. JRiver also comes out with a "major" update each year, and it costs money. I think I bought the software for about 50 bucks the first time, and each year I pay about 20 bucks to upgrade to the next version. You don't have to upgrade, and old versions should keep working fine. JRiver does have remote access capabilities, but no encryption support although a few people are pushing for it. JRiver also has a decent web view. The nice thing about JRiver is its still being developed on windows 10, and Like I mentioned in the OP, there is decent netflix AHK script out there that integrates nicely with it. I use WMC in the living room because I am counting on my cable company to turn on DRM someday, and I don't want my stuff to break. I honestly like the ease of use of WMC for everyday usage more so than JRiver, and thats why WMC is on my TV I use everyday, and JRiver is in the theater room. So far, I've run Emby, and Plex on the same machine as JRiver, and never really noticed any problems. I see a few different people recommending plex next to JRiver for wife approval.
jachin99
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 24 February 2016

Post#4 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm

jachin99 wrote:JRiver does pretty well but its actually quite a bit different than WMC in a few different areas. The biggest complaints I have about JRiver are its lack of plugins, and second would be no DRM.


Jriver was a on Kickstarter trying to raise money to get DRM support. After the interface on the HDR package (most people saw WMC looks worlds better), there was a shock that Jriver never even got close to what they needed to do it.

Not sure if everyone knew that...
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#5 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.
jachin99
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 24 February 2016

Post#6 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

jachin99 wrote:I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.


If you know my posts here, i still love WMC and still use it every day. I was crossing my fingers that JRiver got it tho. It would of been nice for a little change every once and a while. As JRiver was trying to licenecne playready, the same playready that WMC uses. So if they hit their goal, it would be possable that you could run them BOTH on the same machine, and WMC would of been able to run JRiver files and the other way around.

A complete change of look every week....oh, well...
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#7 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm

As for Recoomended addons... There is a LOT of apps around. A lot of them are older but, for the most part a good chunk of them still work. A lot are test and see if they will work for you.

1. If your going to use the Movie Library in WMC, YAMMM is a god for Meta data and art for it...It's automatic for the most part
2. If you rip blue-ray or DVD, there is a Rip & COmpress app with a 3rd party plugin (MAKEMKV), it works pretty well STILL
3. Get a copy of ReLaunch, you can make a website an app, or 3rd party apps to run right from WMC (search for my Youtube request, it's great).
4. If you are using WIndows 7, Media Center Studio, you can apply themes or or edit the start menu in WMC (move things around) or if you just want to theme Patchou's Media Center Themer is what you want.

Look over the Wiki and maybe you can find others you like...
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#8 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:19 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
jachin99 wrote:I saw that also, and if it would have succeeded, then there is a good chance I would have stuck with it. A few things kind of hurt JRiver in my book, the DRM issue, a lack of plugins or third party development, and the 10 ft. interface. I could have figured how to mod the looks of it but the DRM was the reason I have WMC. Either way, My wife and kid can use WMC, and I also think its much easier to navigate around it. I saw an article where someone was commenting about their kickstarter failure being primarily due to when it was started (around the holidays I believe) and its lack of advertising, and I can kind of believe it. Hopefully they try again but I'm doubtful because it seems their primary selling point is audio.


If you know my posts here, i still love WMC and still use it every day. I was crossing my fingers that JRiver got it tho. It would of been nice for a little change every once and a while. As JRiver was trying to licenecne playready, the same playready that WMC uses. So if they hit their goal, it would be possable that you could run them BOTH on the same machine, and WMC would of been able to run JRiver files and the other way around.

A complete change of look every week....oh, well...


I'm lucky enough to not have DRM on most of my cable channels, but I don't know how long it would last. JRiver can monitor folders, and auto import its own coverart, etc so they could live side by side, and each could play the other's library. WMC still takes the prize for a simple interface, and if I were to use both, I would have to learn how to use another piece of software, which is something I'm looking to avoid as much as possible. Simplicity is starting to mean a lot more to me.
jachin99
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 24 February 2016

Post#9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 pm

jachin99 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:
If you know my posts here, i still love WMC and still use it every day. I was crossing my fingers that JRiver got it tho. It would of been nice for a little change every once and a while. As JRiver was trying to licenecne playready, the same playready that WMC uses. So if they hit their goal, it would be possable that you could run them BOTH on the same machine, and WMC would of been able to run JRiver files and the other way around.

A complete change of look every week....oh, well...


I'm lucky enough to not have DRM on most of my cable channels, but I don't know how long it would last. JRiver can monitor folders, and auto import its own coverart, etc so they could live side by side, and each could play the other's library. WMC still takes the prize for a simple interface, and if I were to use both, I would have to learn how to use another piece of software, which is something I'm looking to avoid as much as possible. Simplicity is starting to mean a lot more to me.


Same here but, I have a few channels that do enable it time to time. 99.5% of my recordings are not protected. It still COULD be an issue so I wont change. I am paying for TV I expect to e able to watch it.

WMC was the ONLY system that did very well on the WAF. I tried many flavors years ago and my wife played with most of them. WMC was the only one who won that battle...

WAF=Wife Acceptance Factor

If there was 1 that failed many times, it's the 360 Extender, as if your watching TV or set something to record, it's 99% fine but, when your trying to watch other content, movies, or just video files, it's hit or miss. It's too the point where the wife will only use it for TV unless I tell her that XX movie will play (normally a simple SD video, as I know 100% it will play)
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP


Return to WMC Add-ins and 3rd Party Apps



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron