Setting up a HDHR dual in 2 different locations

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Setting up a HDHR dual in 2 different locations

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Setting up a home run dual

I’ve currently got my HR dual setup and working fine I had to have a internet connection to establish the HR as a tuner I also have a Hauppauge 1800 setup w/ same internet connection.

If I move the HTPC to another location and setup a couple of Hauppauge tuners then
Relocate back to orginale location however there won’t be a internet connection to reset up the either the HR or the Hauppauge back at the orginale location.

My ? is prior to the second location can I duplicate the C:/ drive then use a second C:/ drive in second location then return to first location and reuse the orginale C:/drive even though the second location won't have internet?

Thanks STB

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:13 pm

stevethebrain wrote:Setting up a home run dual

I’ve currently got my HR dual setup and working fine I had to have a internet connection to establish the HR as a tuner I also have a Hauppauge 1800 setup w/ same internet connection.

If I move the HTPC to another location and setup a couple of Hauppauge tuners then
Relocate back to orginale location however there won’t be a internet connection to reset up the either the HR or the Hauppauge back at the orginale location.

My ? is prior to the second location can I duplicate the C:/ drive then use a second C:/ drive in second location then return to first location and reuse the orginale C:/drive even though the second location won't have internet?

Thanks STB
Are you installing 2nd tuner outside of your home, at a different location? Is that why you need internet connection to "to establish HR as a tuner"?

You will need VPN for that to work, and pretty solid upload speeds.

These tuners don't need internet connection to function. They just need a network connection. You don't necessarily have to have a router to make it all work without internet. You can simply assign static IP addresses to everything on your network, and use a switch.

You only need internet connection for the Guide updates, and other internet related services, like Netflix, and HULU for the host machine.

IF you are just relocating the tuner to a different place in the house, on the same network, it doesn't really care where it is, as long as it is connected to the network.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Fri May 02, 2014 12:52 pm

blueiedgod wrote:

Thanks STB
Are you installing 2nd tuner outside of your home, no want to use PC in a differnt city at a different location? Is that why you need internet connection to "to establish HR as a tuner"? yes

You will need VPN for that to work, and pretty solid upload speeds.what is VPN

These tuners don't need internet connection to function. They just need a network connection. You don't necessarily have to have a router to make it all work without internet. You can simply assign static IP addresses to everything on your network, and use a switch.

You only need internet connection for the Guide updates, and other internet related services, like Netflix, and HULU for the host machine.

IF you are just relocating the tuner to a different place in the house, on the same network, it doesn't really care where it is, as long as it is connected to the network.
the Home run dual required a internet connection to establish it as a tuner, HR dual has never been connected to the network. just the PC is connected to internet.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:

Thanks STB
Are you installing 2nd tuner outside of your home, no want to use PC in a differnt city at a different location? Is that why you need internet connection to "to establish HR as a tuner"? yes

You will need VPN for that to work, and pretty solid upload speeds.what is VPN

the Home run dual required a internet connection to establish it as a tuner, HR dual has never been connected to the network. just the PC is connected to internet.
Are you sure it was HomeRun the needed the connection, and not your PC to download the drivers/firmware update. As far as I understand, HomeRun does not communicate outside the home network.

Still does not answer the question what you are trying to achieve.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 am

blueiedgod wrote:Still does not answer the question what you are trying to achieve.
Right, You got my curiosity going. What are you up to Steve? Why don't you just run another wire for internet to the other machine.