HDHomeRun Prime confusion

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
pdean

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun Prime confusion

Post by pdean » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 am

I currently have a rather old media center running Win 7 that I built that has an NVidia TV Tuner and an older HDHomeRun that just gets what were unscrambled HDTV channels. Last fall the HD channels were scrambled but it is interesting I cannot watch them live but can record them. My analog channels are received via 2 old Scientific Atlanta 4250c cable boxes from Comcast that are next to my pc.

I am debating getting an HDHomeRun Prime but am confused if this simply will allow me to once again watch a few HD channels live or will this literally replace my 2 cable boxes that I use with my media center and all my channels will be tuned through the networked HDHomeRun. I have Comcast triple play but I don't believe I am getting any HD channels through the cable box. Would I also need to change my Comcast service to allow this.

I would certainly love to get rid of the what seem like ancient cable boxes that are always on and putting out lots of heat. If this does eliminate cable boxes is there some special cable card I would have to request for this purpose. I would also like to at least try to sell my old device while someone could still us it. Do the older HD HomeRuns work in some areas just fine.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:06 pm

The HDHRP (or any CableCARD tuner) will effectively replace your cable boxes for reception of encrypted linear channels. PC CableCARD tuners will not give you the 2-way services that your cable box has (such as VOD).

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:42 pm

The ability to receive hd channels on Comcast are a function of the cable box, and not necessarily the package. From what I understand (and the way my Comcast package works) is that if your package includes the channel in SD, you should also be eligible to get the channel in hd. The hrhrp should allow you to get the hd channel. While there does exist an "HD technology fee" I don't think the system is in place to trigger that fee for cable cards.

Actually, my favorite part of Windows media center is the ability to hide all of the Sd channels and only view the HD ones. It makes for a much cleaner guide experience.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

pdean

Post by pdean » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:58 pm

I have never used any on demand service and have no interest in it. I only want a tuner.

It sounds like this would replace my boxes

pdean

Post by pdean » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:26 am

I phoned comcast and was told they could mail me a cable card for free and the monthly fee would be $1.15 and the fee for my 2 cable boxes is about $20. I did not understand why it was so much less expensive.

I did verify that currently I do not pay them for HD service and that would be $9.85/mo.

I initially questioned on of these tuners because of them blocking the HD channels since last fall.

It sounds like it would be cheaper even with HD channels to get this tuner and card.

Does any cable card give you multiple tuners or must you say you need a Multi stream cable card which us a frase I picked up somewhere.

I get the impression I could get this setup and sell my old Silicon Dust tuner.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am

I would try getting the cable card first and see if you get the hd channels without paying the fee. If it didn't work, you could always go back later and add them.

There was a time when there existed a single stream cable card, but I think pretty much all of them are multi steam (m-card) now.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

pdean

Post by pdean » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Would the HDHomeRun Prime also replaced my NVidia Dual TV analog tuner which is connected to my 2 cable boxes.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 pm

The HDHRP plus a cablecard connected to an HTPC would replace the analog tuner and both cable boxes. You can return the cable boxes, and have it replaced with a single cablecard.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am

I have the Digital Preferred package with Comcast and receive HD channels at no additional cost. I didn't ask for the HD service when I signed up for the service, they just work with the cable card.

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 am

Cyterio wrote:I have the Digital Preferred package with Comcast and receive HD channels at no additional cost. I didn't ask for the HD service when I signed up for the service, they just work with the cable card.

That's because Digital Preferred INCLUDES 30+ HD channels. Even Digital Starter includes HD.

me@mpking.com

Post by me@mpking.com » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm

pdean wrote:I phoned comcast and was told they could mail me a cable card for free and the monthly fee would be $1.15 and the fee for my 2 cable boxes is about $20. I did not understand why it was so much less expensive.

I did verify that currently I do not pay them for HD service and that would be $9.85/mo.

I initially questioned on of these tuners because of them blocking the HD channels since last fall.

It sounds like it would be cheaper even with HD channels to get this tuner and card.

Does any cable card give you multiple tuners or must you say you need a Multi stream cable card which us a frase I picked up somewhere.

I get the impression I could get this setup and sell my old Silicon Dust tuner.
I know each Comcast region is different, but every comcast region I've heard of gives the first cable card for free, and charges rental on the second.

Mike

pdean

Post by pdean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 pm

I installed my new tuner with cable card this past Saturday afternoon and overall it probably took 2 hours. It took 4 calls to Comcast to get someone who actually seemed to know what I was talking about. One person told me the card was apparently bad and I needed to exchange it and I did not think that was likely. I had a screen up with 2 groups of numbers and they did not seem to mean anything to the first 3 people. I did hear a message that Comcast was busier than normal and one time had gotten transferred to a non tech person. Overall it is very interesting. I have the tuner device in a wiring closet and have removed my two cable boxes and I can remove my old TV tuner card and even MSN remote receiver since my Zalman case has one built in that I will have to reconnect the internal wires.

In my former setup with an older non cable card HDHoneRun device I would replace my old format of channels with any HD channels I received in the guide. Now I have so many HD channels I am debating replacing the non HD channels with these so my guide does not have so many channels listed twice. It is also interesting that each channel is in Dolby although my receiver recently died and I have been waiting on a new one to arrive. The 2 cable boxes I had were to me very old and did not even receive HD so I am looking to return them and I have 2 others to 2 other TVs and wonder if I should replace them with HD boxes but I have not checked the prices yet.