HDHR Dual rattles inside its case - is this normal?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHR Dual rattles inside its case - is this normal?

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:55 pm

SD home run dual rattles inside it's case is this normal?

the internal parts are not secure to case there is definitly something loose in there.
Thanks STB

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 pm

stevethebrain wrote:SD home run dual rattles inside it's case is this normal?

the internal parts are not secure to case there is definitly something loose in there.
Thanks STB

Rattling coming from a tuner when it is shaken is usually normal. Tuners can have glass, plastic or ferrite beads as part of their architecture, the beads can be loose. This is not a flaw.

I have not opened my HDHR but I suspect that this is the case here.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 am

If you have beads bouncing around the case, it is a flaw. You'd likely see zero ill effects, since it's to meet some emi retirement (bulk current injection? Or some emissions crud). Life is too short, if it works, whatever.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 pm

aeblank wrote:If you have beads bouncing around the case, it is a flaw. You'd likely see zero ill effects, since it's to meet some emi retirement (bulk current injection? Or some emissions crud). Life is too short, if it works, whatever.
No. The beads do not bounce around freely inside of the case. These beads are small cylinders which have a piece of stiff wire running through them, they typically are used for rf trapping and noise reduction. It is okay that they are loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I can say for certain that the noise in the HRHR dual is not ferrite beads. The whole tuner assembly moves around inside the plastic case. Yes, it's normal. Both of mine do it. I never noticed it until the OP asked about it, because my tuners sit on a shelf and never move. Why would I care if they rattle?

netw0rks

Post by netw0rks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:11 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I can say for certain that the noise in the HRHR dual is not ferrite beads. The whole tuner assembly moves around inside the plastic case. Yes, it's normal. Both of mine do it. I never noticed it until the OP asked about it, because my tuners sit on a shelf and never move. Why would I care if they rattle?
Mine rattles like this too. Seems like there was just a mm off in the case design. Doesn't bother me, as long as it keeps working :)