HDHomeRun DUAL with a Hauppauge 1800 PCI & 950Q

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun DUAL with a Hauppauge 1800 PCI & 950Q

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Planning on adding a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL w/ a Huagpage 1800 (PCI) & 950Q (USB)

Plan is to connect antenna to HR then HR to PC w/ supplied cat/5 cable (no router yet). Hopefully I'll have four OTA available HTPC tuners.

When I installed the 1800 & the 950Q I just plugged them in and W7MC installed the software on it’s own.
?1.can I just plug in the Homerundual (w/ the 1800/950 still plugged in) and expect W7MC to install all the SW?

?2. Then rescan for channels for the HR?

?3.When I travel and stay in a Hotel can I connect the HR to my laptop and expect analog cable channels to be tuned in, channels like HBO,showtime ect. (like my Huagpage 950Q is capable of)?

I believe my 950Q is malfunctioning I sometimes get a error code like portions of show was’nt recorded
WinTV 950 tuner demod 885. not sure if the 950Qmodule is parshealley working or if it’s a weak antenna signal
Kindof of pointing the finger at the 950Q because I sometimes get this same error on stronge signal stations.
?4.I understand W7MC decides which available tuner to use for a recording if in fact the 950Q is malfunctioning
Will it never use the 950Q unless I schedule for four recordings at the same time?

Thanks for any advice STB

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Not sure on the travel things or your 950Q issue. When you install any new tuner, you will have to go through the entire setup again for all of your tuners, not just the new one. As far as drivers are concerned, WMC should work without anything additional for you to do. There is SD software that you can add, but I don't think you need to install anything for WMC to work.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:41 pm

The hotel situation depends on how they deliver the TV. Unless they are using Ceton system, they are most likely using a bunch of cable boxes to tune the cable TV and then rebroadcast it in analog on different channels. So, that when you tune your in-room TV, you can flip the channels, but the PQ is usually crap.

If 950Q has NTSC tuner, you will be able to tune, but expect to struggle with the coax connector on the TV, since it is probably connected to some sort of a box for the games and check out before it goes out to the TV.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

stevethebrain wrote:Planning on adding a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL w/ a Huagpage 1800 (PCI) & 950Q (USB)

Plan is to connect antenna to HR then HR to PC w/ supplied cat/5 cable (no router yet). Hopefully I'll have four OTA available HTPC tuners.
The HD HomeRun requires a DHCP server to assign it an IP address. You can only connect the HDHR directly to your PC if the PC has a DHCP server running on it. Also, you will need a crossover Ethernet cable, unless the PC's ethernet adapter automatically switches for this.
stevethebrain wrote:When I installed the 1800 & the 950Q I just plugged them in and W7MC installed the software on it’s own.
?1.can I just plug in the Homerundual (w/ the 1800/950 still plugged in) and expect W7MC to install all the SW?
No. You will need to install the HD HomeRun software, downloaded from Silicondust.com.
stevethebrain wrote:?2. Then rescan for channels for the HR?
You must rescan all channels for all tuners.
stevethebrain wrote:?3.When I travel and stay in a Hotel can I connect the HR to my laptop and expect analog cable channels to be tuned in, channels like HBO,showtime ect. (like my Huagpage 950Q is capable of)?
The HDHR does not have an analog tuner. It is digital only (ATSC or QAM).

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
stevethebrain wrote:Planning on adding a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL w/ a Huagpage 1800 (PCI) & 950Q (USB)

The HD HomeRun requires a DHCP server to assign it an IP address. You can only connect the HDHR directly to your PC if the PC has a DHCP server running on it. Also, you will need a crossover Ethernet cable, unless the PC's ethernet adapter automatically switches for this..
what is a DHCP server ? the lable on the bottom of the SD HR has a IP address printed on it.
stevethebrain wrote:When I installed the 1800 & the 950Q I just plugged them in and W7MC installed the software on it’s own.
No. You will need to install the HD HomeRun software, downloaded from Silicondust.com..[/quote]so Silicondust never provides a DVD w/ software?
stevethebrain wrote:?2. Then rescan for channels for the HR?
You must rescan all channels for all tuners...[/quote]doe's this rescan require a internet connection?
stevethebrain wrote:?3.When I travel and stay in a Hotel can I connect the HR to my laptop and expect analog cable channels to be tuned in, channels like HBO,showtime ect. (like my Huagpage 950Q is capable of)?
The HDHR does not have an analog tuner. It is digital only (ATSC or QAM).[/quote]the inside of the SDHR dual is rattling is this normalle?
Thanks for advice STB

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 pm

1) No, the HDHR Dual does not have an IP address printed on the bottom of it. It has a MAC address. If you don't know what DHCP stands for or what a DHCP server is, try Google.

2) I don't know if Silicondust will send you a CD/DVD. You can contact them and ask them... but if you really want the software on a CD/DVD, it would be easier to download it and burn a disk yourself.

3) Yes, when you run TV setup, it will require an Internet connection to download the guide listings and channel lineup for your tuners.

4) Both of my HDHR duals also rattle if I shake them. I actually had to go try it, because I never thought of doing it... so, I suppose it's normal.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:23 am

... the inside of the SDHR dual is rattling is this normalle?
Rattling coming from a tuner when it is shaken is usually normal. Tuners can have ferrite beads as part of their architecture, the beads can be loose. This is not a flaw.

I have not opened my HDHR but I suspect that this is the case here.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm

2) I don't know if Silicondust will send you a CD/DVD. You can contact them and ask them... but if you really want the software on a CD/DVD, it would be easier to download it and burn a disk yourself.
.[/quote] how exactly do you download software from one PC then use on another PC? I'm thinking click download as usalle then when it beings the wizard and asks where would you like to save (which is usalley C:/ drive change that to like a flash drive the simply remove the FD install on the second PC.

or when the wizard gets to where do you want to save usalley C:/drive how do I burn to DVD click my computer, open C;/ look for silicon dust
sorry I've never done this download and burn any advice is aprechated.

3) Yes, when you run TV setup, it will require an Internet connection to download the guide listings and channel lineup for your tuners.
.[/quote]
if I don't care about guide listings can I use another PC1 (which has a better internet connection) to do the TV setup then plug the HR into the PC2?

4) Both of my HDHR duals also rattle if I shake them. I actually had to go try it, because I never thought of doing it... so, I suppose it's normal.[/quote]
I try to never suppose I report back w/ SD response to the rattle.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Different browsers handle the download of installers in different ways, but generally... you should be able to right-click on the installer and choose "Save as" or something similar. Or, if it asks you if you want to open/run or save the file, choose to save the file. Then, just burn it to a disc. The Silicondust installer is a complete package (meaning that it doesn't download other stuff when you run it), so when you save the file and burn it to a CD, you'll have everything you need on that disc.

No, you can't run TV setup on one computer, and then use that data on another computer. Whether or not you care about the guide listings, the TV setup wizard in Media Center requires an internet connection for the channel lineup information.