Lower cable channels don't get added

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
DakotaKid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lower cable channels don't get added

Post by DakotaKid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am

I have an HDHR3-US with Surewest cable in Kansas City area. I am not doing any OTA, the HDHR is fed from my coax and connected to my home network. I have one TV with a Surewest supplied DVR and a couple of TV's without cable boxes that I did channel scans on to pick up clear QAM cable channels. Those TV's scan and display channels 3 thru 99 plus digital channels above 100 e.g. 104.1, 109.6, etc. without any set top box. However, when I scan with my HDHR it only picks up the channels above 100 so I can't view 3-99 on any of my Win 7 MC PC's. I am basing my info off of what shows in the HDHR setup scan, not only what shows in MC.

Is there a setting I can change in the HDHR setup that will let it pick up the lower channels from my cable feed? Is it capable of tuning these? I would think they'd be clear QAM channels carried on my coax. I am new to this and don't understand the difference between say, channel 99 which it won't tune, and channel 104.3 that it will tune.

Thanks for any help, advice, and explanation.

DK

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 am

Make sure you have digital cable selected in the home run setup software. Sometimes clearQAM channels don't provide info and need to be manually selected in wmc. Make sure you can tune them in the HDHR quick TV application then if they aren't in WMC go to settings>TV>guide>add missing channels and make sure they are selected.

DakotaKid

Post by DakotaKid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks for the quick reply but that's the problem I'm having. They don't show up in HDHR Quick TV so it seems like the HDHR isn't seeing them or at least it isn't saving them. I selected "digital cable" in the dropdown for the signal source. I haven't even worried too much about WMC yet since I can't even get them to show up in HDHR.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:53 am

There is also a section where you can manually add/remove channels in the HDHR software too. I forget where offhand. It sounds like the info isn't there so they aren't getting automatically added.

DakotaKid

Post by DakotaKid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 am

I can't find any function like that. When I run the HD Config GUI and go to channels below 100 they don't tune in. For instance, 75 is CNBC, 98 is VH1 and 99 is CMT on my cable and all show up fine on my TV's that were scanned on cable. None of them will tune in on the Config GUI. They show 100% Signal Strength but 0% Signal Quality and 0% Symbol Quality. Therefore, they don't display when I go to them manually and they don't save when I scan. Could these be in a format that HDHR doesn't recognize? Like I said, they scan fine on my TV tuners, just not on the HDHR.
Thanks.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 am

Launch the setup not the config GUI then go to the digital cable tab. That will list your channels.

DakotaKid

Post by DakotaKid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 am

I may be wrong but I think you can check with the GUI Config before even scanning to see what it finds. You can tune and view the channels by scrolling up and down or by entering a channel number. I think it populates the table on the digital cable tab only after a scan is done. At any rate, I've done a tuner scan and the table in that tab only shows the channels it found starting at 104.1 and upward. None of the cable channels under 100 show up in the list. By the way, I don't know if it matters but nearly all of the channels below 100 are SD while everything over 100 is HD. I wouldn't care that I am not getting the lower channels but some of them, e.g. HGTV and Fox Sports 1, don't have an HD version available in clear QAM. Again, thanks for the help and hopefully there is a solution.

DakotaKid

Post by DakotaKid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok, so I have pretty much determined that all of the channels below 100 are being sent as analog cable and since the HDHR is only a digital tuner it can't and won't ever be able to tune in the channels being sent over cable in analog format. Problem solved, in my current config I won't be able to tune/watch/record anything below 100 other than on my TV's with cable company set top boxes or on my TV's with analog tuners. Yes, I realize I could add an analog capable Hauppauge WinTV or similar card to a PC on my network but it isn't worth it for me at this time. Thanks. Topic closed.