Silicon Dust Dual Tuner

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
andrewstoybox

HTPC Specs: Show details

Silicon Dust Dual Tuner

Post by andrewstoybox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 pm

I am having issues with the local guide for 55444 zip code. I am feeding a good signal through Comcast but cannot get WMC7 to see the .1, .2 ect. channels. I can see them with QuickTV which came with the tuner. How do I get around the Comcast provided channel lineup?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Are you sure QuickTV is showing you cable channels or is it showing you OTA channels? A channel that ends in .1 or .2 makes sense for an OTA channel, but does not for a cable TV channel. The cable company will generally re-number the subchannels to work with their own cable boxes....so 10.1 might actually be called channel 500.

andrewstoybox

Post by andrewstoybox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 pm

It for the last four years has presented the 4.1, 5.1, 9.1 and 11.1 as channels through the cable connection. They no longer provide the guide data and claim they aren't part of their lineup. However, I don't have an antenna. I realize that they are the OTA channels being rebroadcasted. Is there a way to get WMC7 to see them after a scan?

As I mentioned, I can see them through QuickTV but not WMC7.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Go to Zap2it and look at your listings. You'll see there are no channels like what you describe on Comcast's system. The channels are all renumbered for Comcast's system. Specifically:

OTA channel 4.1 is WCCODT, which is broadcast on Comcast as channels 233 and 804;
OTA channel 5.1 is KSTPDT, which is broadcast on Comcast as channels 231 and 805;
OTA channel 9.1 is KMSPDT, which is broadcast on Comcast as channels 234 and 809;
OTA channel 11.1 is KAREDT, which is broadcast on Comcast as channels 232 and 811.

I would first check to see if you are seeing the Comcast channel numbers in the EPG (it's been a while since I had a ClearQAM tuner hooked up and I can't remember how the channels show up..perhaps they use the subchannel method, but I thought they used the PSIP channel number). If not, go to Tasks>Settings>TV>Guide>Edit Channels. From there you should be able to see the channels detected during the scan. It could be that WMC has those channels disabled because it can't find listings. You'll need to enable the channels, then go to Edit Listings and match each of the missing channels to a listing source.

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:07 pm

http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdho ... ions/wmc7/
Make sure you follow the steps to configure your channels in the Hd Home Run Setup program. Then after configuring wmc, when you follow the instructions and run the hdhomerun_wmc_sync program, it will populate the channels you configured at setup.
<- My Media Center PC

andrewstoybox

Post by andrewstoybox » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Does it help to know that I have a second analog/digital tuner that is in the box and it's doing the same thing? I think what is happening is that Comcast has pulled the channel information for the HD channels so that people can't access the local stations in HD. Is there a way to set a programming guide without dealing with the Comcast lineup?

I had all the stations until a lineup change a couple weeks ago. There isn't a filter on the line and I suspect that the HD channels are coming in over the cable acting as an antenna.

I will try the sync program since that's the only thing I haven't done yet. Thanks for the tip there.