Weak TV Signal On TBS and TNT on Cablevison with HDHR

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
markfromBrooklyn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weak TV Signal On TBS and TNT on Cablevison with HDHR

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 pm

My two Windows 7 Pro machines give a Weak Signal error in WMC when I try to watch TBS-HD or TNT-HD despite signal strength of 92 to 95% on HDHomerun Config. Problems occur in live viewing or on scheduled recordings. All other channels work, at least for now.Scheduled recording also fails with Weak signal message. Cablevision (Optimum) says signal is OK, cable box works fine. I found an old Microsoft fix at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2708283
but the "Fix It for me" is obsolete. Both systems are less than a year old, up to date, Intel i5-6600 and i7-4790 systems so not underpowered. My older Win 7 Home Premium system rom 2011 can usually receive these channels.

Both of the newer systems are using EPG123 program guide rather than Microsoft"s ROVI guide data. All three are updated and have the same Norton Security antivirus software.
I am using a SiliconDust HDHomerunPrime HDHR3-CC from late 2012 with firmware 20150826

Do you think I should try the registry fix suggested by Microsoft?? Any advice would be appreciated.

These channels were working a few months ago; I do not watch them often so I am not sure when the problem began, although I noticed it about 4 days ago.

Is anyone else having trouble with TBS-HD Channel 739 and TNT-HD channel 737 on Cablevision (Optimum) in Brooklyn or nearby?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Remove or disable the AV software. Upgrade the HDHR to the latest firmware then enable logging in the settings app.

If the issue continues, open a ticket with SD support and they can analyze the diagnostic log.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:47 pm

You could monitor HDHomeRun Config GUI when tuning to the channels... make sure they are tuning to the proper channel and signal strength is good.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 am

Thank you. I have opened a support ticket with SiliconDust and enabled logging. The HDHomerun has the latest software.

When I select TNT-HD or TBS-HD for live viewing I get a good image for about 15 or 20 seconds; then the image is replaced by a Weak signal message. The sound continues uninterrupted. Attempts to record fail.

I checked and found that I had recorder a program successfully on TNT-HD channel 737 on 09/05/2016. I ran windows update and installed new NVIDIA drivers and the GEFORCE Experience software on 10/13/2016. This resulted in a complete loss of HDMI sound on one of the two computers, so NVIDIA had me uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Everything seemed to work after that, and numerous other copy once channels such as BBC America and SyFy are still working. This one has a GTX-950.

The HD Config software shows signal strength of 90 to 92 % on these channels, better than on several channels that are still working. They appear to be tuning in the correct channels

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I also tried uninstalling the HDHomerun software and reinstalling it, with no change. Cablevision suggests swapping my cablecard for a new one which requires a trip to their office; I doubt that will help but will try it when I have time.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:29 pm

markfromBrooklyn wrote:I also tried uninstalling the HDHomerun software and reinstalling it, with no change. Cablevision suggests swapping my cablecard for a new one which requires a trip to their office; I doubt that will help but will try it when I have time.
Wait to hear from SD support before you proceed with that approach.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:28 pm

SD support wrote: From:
Support - Silicondust <support@silicondust.com>
Date:Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:43:36 -07:00
Re: (Case 67584) Weak TV Signal message in Windows 7 Media Center on TBS and TNT only
Hi,
This is a known WMC bug. Have you tried running the TV setup wizard again?
Are you current with Windows updates?

Silicondust Support

I replied that I was updated, I did try running setup again, with no improvement. I still have two unwatchable HD channels on my two newer Windows 7 Pro machines, while my 2012 (slow as molasses) older Win 7 Home Premium machime will tune them in.
They replied : Support - Silicondust <support@silicondust.com>
Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:50 PMTo: Mark GoldfieldSubject: Re: (Case 67584) Weak TV Signal message in Windows 7 Media Center on TBS and TNT only
Hi Mark,
There's nothing unusual about these channels. As you've noted, signal reception is good and logs are not reporting reception related errors.
We have recieved complaints from Comcast customers, WMC has problems decoding DRM flagged MPEG4 channels. Cablevision has started converting channels to MPEG4 in certain markets.
If you're using the latest beta release, go to my.hdhomerun.com, click on the device ID, Channel lineup, and run a new channel scan it will tell you which channels are MPEG4 (it will say "AVC HD" off to the right of the channel).
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=20613
Unforunately, there really is no way to debug this WMC issue and Microsoft no longer supports WMC.
Silicondust Support

I installed the beta software and verified that none of my channels show AVC HD so it seems that Cablevision in Brooklyn NY is not yet using MPEG4 encoding.
If anyone has any additional suggestions I would be very appreciative.

MILGEO

Post by MILGEO » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Hello Mark from Brooklyn,
(or anyone else who knows)
I have experienced the exact same problem with TNT-HD 737 on Cablevision in Putnam Valley, NY. The line up I use is southern Westchester though as it seems to have a closer to accurate line up than the ones listed closer to my physical location. After getting the error that the signal is too weak, I have to repeatedly click the cancel or recorded tv button to dismiss the error message. It requires 4-12 presses before it will go away. Then I get the same message box on the other 2 tv's with Ceton extenders. I haven't tried TBS-HD. This has been going on for quite a while, at least a year. Probably longer. I don't record too many things from that channel so I've just kind of ignored it. But WMC repeatedly tries to record the next showing which leaves me having to click away on all three tv's to dismiss the message. There were the Hunger Games movies some time back and recently The Last Ship has come up. I have watched a couple of seasons of that previously with no problem. I don't remember if it was on TNT-HD or another channel in the past but definitely HD. So did you ever resolve the problem? If so, could you tell me how? My Home Run has acted a little strange in the last month or two. I once noticed two channel lights on when there was nothing recording or playing live on any set. That seem to happen when the last guide outage started. Pulling the power plug for a couple minutes seemed to correct that. The issue with TNT-HD has been going on long before this so it's not likely related.