New HDHR Prime question

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
groucho111

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HDHR Prime question

Post by groucho111 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 pm

I currently have a Ceton Infinitv4 in my media PC in my living room and an HDHR Prime in my office. I think the IFTV is dying and I am tired of messing with it. I am going to buy another HDHR Prime today. My plan is to put the 2nd Prime in the office with the first one, where my router is. My whole house is on a Gb network with cat 6. Any issues I should be aware of? Gb network line running from the router in the office to the living room PC. then network lines running to 2 xbox's I use as extenders.

Also, do I just pull the cable card out of the IFTV, put it in the HDHR, run set up and call Comcast to pair it with the new HDHR? Anything about that process I should know about?

thanks for any help,

Steve

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:30 pm

It's as simple as, or simpler than, you describe.

Don't overthink it. Just do it.

DanH

Post by DanH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 pm

It's best if the HDHR Prime & Media Center PC are both directly connected to the same Gigabit switch. And make sure that the PC has a gigabit network connection to the network.

Other than that, it's a simple as you make it sound....however there are gotchas that can happen along the way and you will have to deal with them as they occur.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:45 pm

SO... I went to Fry's Electronics., they had the HDHR Prime in stock, bought one. Took the cable card out of the infinitv4, put it in the new HDHR, called Comcast and got it paired and Now I have 6 tuners on my main PC in my living room! Yay!

here's the problem I have now: previously when I had the IFVT4 and one HDHR, I used one of the network tuners from the HDHR with WMC 10 in my office so I could watch live tv there. Now, when I search for tuners in Win 10 WMC i get no tuners found message. but Hd Homerun view works. Any ideas?

thanks for any help

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:38 pm

I searched some of the other forums and found the answer. a Windows Update installed just the other day stopped tuners from being discovered KB3192441. Uninstalled the update, restarted and now WMC 10 is seeing the HDHR tuners.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:29 pm

I would like to piggyback off OP question. I have a prime and thinking about purchasing a second one, but I only have 100mb cat5 run. Will I have a problem running 6 tuners simultaneously?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Space

Post by Space » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:59 pm

It all depends on what bitrate the channels you are watching/recording are running at. I believe any one channel could have up to 19.4 mbps. So if all channels are running at that maximum bitrate, then you will have problems (19.4 mbps * 6 = 116.4 mbps). In practice, however, channels run at lower bitrates, so you may be fine.

The last time I calculated the average size of the files I was recording (consisting of mostly HD recordings from FiOS), it came out to about 6 GB per hour, which is under 14 mbps, so using that average number, you should be fine (14 mbps * 6 = 84 mbps).

Note that I have no experience with this. While I do have a 100mbps network, I also only have 3 tuners, so this is solely based on the calculations.
If you really wanted to be safe, you could just run with 5 tuners and you would be assured to not have any problems (19.4 mbps * 5 = 97 mbps).

Also note that if your HDHR and HTPC are located in the same area, you can attach a 1gb switch to your 100mb router (using your existing cabling) and then use 1gb cabling to attach your HDHR and HTPC to the 1gb switch. This would give you 1gb bandwidth between the HDHR and the HTPC while the rest of your network ran at the legacy 100mbps speed.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Yeah...I suppose Im only worried about recording 6 items at a time we very rarely watch anything wrong except for maybe sporting events the NCAA tournament is a big thing for us. I have 24 port gbit switch that the entire house is run to but it gets throttled by the cat5 line. From what you are saying, I could purchase say 4 port gbit switch and move my prime near my HTPC.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 am

You should be able to have a local gbit switch (5 port is $20 on Amazon), and hook up your HTPC and the Prime with some short cat5 (or better) cables. This will give you the full 1gb bandwidth between those devices. You can then plug the existing cable coming from your main router or switch in to this new switch. The bandwidth from this new switch to the existing switch will be limited to whatever you are getting now (I assume it is throttling to 100mb), but the bandwidth between the HTPC and the Prime should be full 1gb.

If you have other devices that need to stream from the HTPC or the Prime on your network, that bandwidth will be limited by your existing wiring, but you would have to have 6 concurrent streams going in order for it to exceed 100mb bandwidth (and even then it would most likely not be a problem due to the info I posted in my first post).

So in summary, with this setup you should be able to record 6 shows concurrently with no problem, and you should also be able to stream 5 shows from the HTPC or the Prime without any problem to the rest of your network without any bandwidth limitations.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks guys. I have another 8 port gb switch that I'm currently using in my HT. I won a second Prime on ebay ($64 shipped...can't beat that). I just need another cablecard from crapcast and a coax splitter. Is there a special splitter I need?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:21 pm

maseline_98 wrote:Thanks guys. I have another 8 port gb switch that I'm currently using in my HT. I won a second Prime on ebay ($64 shipped...can't beat that). I just need another cablecard from crapcast and a coax splitter. Is there a special splitter I need?

You will need Tunersalad for WMC to be able to use all 6 tuners.
http://www.mychannellogos.com/tunersalad
Time is on my side.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:39 pm

TeddyR wrote:
maseline_98 wrote:Thanks guys. I have another 8 port gb switch that I'm currently using in my HT. I won a second Prime on ebay ($64 shipped...can't beat that). I just need another cablecard from crapcast and a coax splitter. Is there a special splitter I need?

Gotcha. Thanks!

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:16 pm

TeddyR wrote:

I wanted to check back in because I got the second prime setup and wanted to thank you guys....It was easy(even more than I remembered).