WMC stops recording at 1/2 hour mark

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
eric90066

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC stops recording at 1/2 hour mark

Post by eric90066 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I love my prime, but I have recently run into an issue that I am not sure I can figure out by myself.

I am NYC cablevision/optimum customer.

On shows that run for an hour, specifically Reliable Sources on CNNHD (725) that airs Sundays from 11am to 12pm, the recordings will end at just about the ½ hour mark (approx 32 minutes in).

The tuner literally crashes and will not come back unless the system is rebooted or the service is restarted.

On the actual recording, at the ½ hour mark a “weak tv” signal will appear and the recording will end.

It even happened while watching tv live.

One thing I notice is the light on the prime unit will still be lit while nothing is being recorded.

When it happened a few minutes ago, I tried to use HD Homerun view and the tuner could pick up some stations, but would crash the view on others (like 725).

This is really a weird one. And it does not happen on all shows, on all channels on all days. But it almost always happens on Reliable Sources at 11am on Sundays.

Is there a log I can look at and see what is going on? Is this a wmc issue or prime issue? Perhaps my tuner is dying?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:59 pm

In the HD HomeRun Setup application, go to the Advanced tab and check the box labeled "Send diagnostic info". Reproduce the issue. Then, open a ticket with SD support and include your tuner ID and the date/time the issue occurred. They will tell you what is happening.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:07 pm

I'll try that.

But I guess I am the only one who has this issue.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Your not the only one. I had this issue about a month ago with a new build.

It didn't matter if I was using 1 tuner or all 12. I would be watching / recording shows and bam! The error would briefly appear "No Tuners Available", dump all tuners, then restore only the show I was watching live. But not the others being recorded.

I think mine was an Ethernet buffer issue. As soon as I upgraded to a Mikrotik CRS226 switch and installed a 10Gbps fiber connection between my media server and the new switch all my issues disappeared.

For some reason my old Netgear ProSafe switch and the integrated Intel i210 Ethernet controller built onto the motherboard were not cutting it. I had the switch with other WMC computer working fine so I'm think the Intel NIC was my issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:59 pm

But I still can't get over the fact that it happens on Reliable Sources all the time and no other show. And it occurs at the exact 30-32 minute mark. That is the really strange part for me.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm

eric90066 wrote:But I still can't get over the fact that it happens on Reliable Sources all the time and no other show. And it occurs at the exact 30-32 minute mark. That is the really strange part for me.
Lol! Well.... I don't know. Is the show longer than 30 minutes? I have never heard of that show but I just looked it up. I will try recording an episode and see what happens. Maybe they put something in the data stream that WMC is seeing commanding it to do something else? Kinda like the EAS alert works? Dunno. Just a guess.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:15 pm

I just set it to record. I'll report back on Sunday with the result.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Looks like my setup recorded the full hour. So I would ask SiliconDust take a look at your logs and see if they can tell whats going on.