WMC not finding one station after OTA channel change

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
tvoldtimer

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC not finding one station after OTA channel change

Post by tvoldtimer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:01 am

This is my first post, although I have been benefiting from the forum for some time now. I may be in totally the wrong area posting here, but not sure where it should fit. Some background, I use WMC on a Dell PC running Windows 7 Professional. I have been having great success using it as a basic DVR and OTA tuner, I do not subscribe to any cable or other pay TV services. I have two sets of HD HomeRun tuner boxes, for a total of 4 tuners available to WMC. My older one is a HDHomeRun Dual, model HDHR-3US and the other a HDHomeRun Connect, model HRHR4-2US. My problem is that an OTA station here in the Kansas City market changed channels over a year ago. KPXE (ION TV) was on OTA actual channel 51, with a virtual Channel of 50-1. (50 was the original analog UHF channel). Like I said, sometime over a year ago they moved to a new UHF channel, but are still on virtual 50-1. The new UHF channel is 30. If I tune any one of the 4 tuners to 30-1, the correct channel locks in with very strong signal. If I use other methods of tuning like the HD Homerun View program or even Windows Media Player, I get the correct channel and it locks in. But in WMC, it will only sit there and say there is no signal. I have rescanned channels, deleted all channels, scanned again, deleted again, but each time it "finds" 50-1 OK, but won't tune it, just sits there saying no signal. If I go into WMC setup, under Guide, there is a place to "Add a New Digital Channel". It asks for the virtual channel number, a name, and then asks for the actual OTA channel. So I can enter 50-1, call it ION and point it to Channel 30, save it and it works. I can tune to it no problem, good signal strength. The other one from the guide is still in the list, but it won't work. So my real issue is, there are a few shows I would like to DVR, but cannot since the manual entry is not part of the Guide, and of course the one in the guide won't tune. Sorry to ramble on so long, but wanted to get as much info as I could with the exact problem. Any ideas?

tvoldtimer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tvoldtimer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:57 pm

I guess I should have spent more time digging through old posts than I did. I found this post and after reading it a couple of times, it seemed to be more or less the same issue that I was having. So I flailed around with the less than intuitive tools for editing guide settings as they relate to channels and was able to finally associate my added channel with the correct guide data. The funny thing is, you end up with two channels the same, one works and one doesn't. It was a simple matter to disable the one that doesn't work. Even though no one specifically addressed my post, I do appreciate having this information available. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us and we don't always recognize what we are seeing. Thanks everyone, and happy DVR-ing with WMC, for as longs as it lasts anyway.