Recording interruption

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
chicagopaul

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording interruption

Post by chicagopaul » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm using a HDHR3 - prime tuner on a Comcast cable connection with a W7 Media Center. Occasionally (like once a day or so) a recording starts as scheduled and then terminates before the end of the scheduled time. In the event logs of the PC I found the following, “Event 3 – Recording of CBS News Sunday morning began as scheduled at 8am but was manually stopped at 8:15 for use by another component”. The common thread seems to be the time 8:15 am. A different scheduled program is early terminated on weekdays than on Sunday. I certainly did not manually do anything on the computer at 8:15.

There are no other scheduled recordings beginning at that time, and I can't figure out what other "component" was interrupting the recording.

Any suggestions on how to further debug this??

Thanks for any help...

mjktg99

Post by mjktg99 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:46 pm

What is your IP setup? I had recording issues until I set the IP address to static on my PC. Prior to that It was set to dhcp and my router was reserving the IP. I also had master browser resets in the event viewer corresponding to the time the recording ended.

Chillout

Post by Chillout » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:07 pm

I have a similar setup but never had that problem. Have you tried posting in the Silicon Dust forums? You're likely to have a better response there if its a hardware related issue.
If i was having the same problems I'd probably try some basic trouble shooting like:
1. making sure WMC is the only program running
2. Check the recorder settings in WMC to make sure it has the correct padding settings or even make it start and end like 10 minutes before/after
3. run WMC optimization
4. delete everything in the tmp recorder directory
5. make sure i dont have more than 3 things recording at the same time
6. make sure my computer clock is correct
7. check the tuner lights to make sure they arent lit when they shouldnt be... power cycle it
8. make sure i have the most recent firmware
9. go to its web server and see if there is anything that doesnt look right

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Amd Cat 14.9 was the cause of it updated to Cat 14.11.1 beta and all is well now records right

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:00 am

Brainsuck wrote:Amd Cat 14.9 was the cause of it updated to Cat 14.11.1 beta and all is well now records right
I have found it it is the new Windows update patch For Win 8.1 and Win 7 Win update will pause and one minute later restart again kicking the tuner off line so far Nov update patch has stop it from happening restarting the Service after the recording is done

chicagopaul

Post by chicagopaul » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:00 am

I think I finally isolated what's going on. The "manual interrupt" is actually Microsoft automatic updates. Apparently the priority of updates is higher than recording! I changed the W7 settings to automatically download but not apply the updates, and I haven't seen a problem now for a month!

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm having this same problem. Months ago it was occassional and limitted to one of my two HDHR Prime boxes (3 tuners x 2). I noticed that updates change the max tuner back to the default of 4, so simply re-running Tuner Salad fixed the problem. Recently the problem has been occurring almost daily (actually daily the last 3 nights), recordings scheduled afterwards are fine, but, once 'manual stop' occurs, all recording occurring are terminated, regardless of tuner, i.e. now both tuners are failing, almost daily.

My remedy which limited failures in the past was to re-run Tuner Salad and reconfigure TV signal. Yesterday I just set up the signal for 4 of the six tuners and just noticed I had a crash last night (both on the same HDHR prime, but not the usual suspect).

I don't see any updated drivers for the HDHR, my other hardware had full driver updates about a year ago and I committing to that can be a difficult thing with these quirky HDPCs (I've had one since 2008, different mobo's cpu tuners over the years) but this is getting frustrating.

Any suggestions? I see similar problems with the Ceton.

I have had two recent Windows updates this morning and 4 days ago... neither correspond with the failures and successful recording have occurred subsequently.

Any suggestions?