Raspberry Pi as a Windows media extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
hokie21

HTPC Specs: Show details

Raspberry Pi as a Windows media extender

Post by hokie21 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:07 am

My Linksys DMA2100s stopped working when Comcast moved to mpeg4. I've found that the Raspberry Pi running OSMC and adding Server WMC to the Media Center PC makes an acceptable substitute.

I am using an RPI 2. I also found it was necessary to purchase and install the RPI MPEG2 license for ~$3. This drastically reduced processor loading when playing MPEG2 content and prevented glitches in the video. Of course HBO is protected content and won't work on the RPI.

There are some settings that aren't available in the UI, but it covers the major functions of recording and playing both mpeg2 and mpeg4 non-protected content.

I purchased a monoprice 14599 adapter to give me an AC3 optical output from the RPI HDMI port.

http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC
https://osmc.tv

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:13 pm

I have found they just work 'ok', and require a lot more tweaking to get set up. An Android TV device provides a much better experience, plus you get the great streaming apps. Once you add up the cost of the Pi, case, license, remote, IR receiver you are darned near what you used to be able to pick up a Nexus Player for.

hokie21

Post by hokie21 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:35 pm

In my case I didn't need to add a remote and IR receiver. The Samsung IR remote data went back to the RPI over the HDMI cable from the TV. I didn't find much tweaking was required. My Smart TV has lots of streaming apps, but none work to play DVR recordings.

What DVR backend are you using with the Nexus Player?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:08 am

Sorry, didn't mean to sound negative but re-reading it came off that way. What I was trying to say was if you like the Pi you will love Android TV. The speed is amazing. Anyway I am still using a Win7 WMC machine via ServerWMC. Works really great and haven't seen a reason to switch yet.