Extender not Working with Powerline Adapter; only Wireless

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
misterpunn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender not Working with Powerline Adapter; only Wireless

Post by misterpunn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello. Hopefully someone can provide ideas.

I recently bought some powerline ethernet adapters, as my condo is 20yrs old (thus, poor "regular" ethernet wiring,) and my wifi is not fast-enough to provide even low-level playback. I want to be able to use my XBox 360 to watch TV and recorded TV in my room.

The powerline adapters themselves work perfectly fine. My XBox is able to connect to the internet. My laptop is able to connect to the internet via the powerline adapter.

When my computer is simply connected to my network via wireless (5ghz) and my XBox is connected via powerline adapter, the two are able to connect to each other, and I am able to use the XBox as an extender. However, that performance is not great, and I can't get more than 30 seconds into an live tv or recording before a lag and ultimate crash.

When I have my laptop and XBox both connected via powerline, however, my computer does not recognize any extenders. I think that sounds completely backwards, as they truly are all on the same network and connected the same way when connected via powerline yet they don't work, while they do work when connected via two different methods (laptop wifi, XBox powerline.)

Does anyone have any ideas for possible solutions? I've tried disabling firewalls.

glassr

Post by glassr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Plug powerline directly into wall outlets. Try different wall outlets. Try connecting PC or Xbox or both directly to router with ethernet cable. Also try PC on 2.4 GHZ.

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I appreciate the response. The powerline adapters function perfectly well; both my XBox and my HTPC are able to use the powerline adapters to receive fast network connections.

The issue is that the XBox and the HTPC can't connect to each other when both are connected to the network via powerline. They only recognize each other when my HTPC is connected to the network via wireless and the XBox is connected via powerline. Connecting my HTPC or XBox directly to the router is not possible.

glassr

Post by glassr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Can you ping the xbox 360 from the pc when they are both on powerline? Can you confirm they are both within the same IP address range?

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Can you please explain what you mean? Or can you tell me what to do to be able to check?

glassr

Post by glassr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm

On the PC in a command line, ipconfig will get you the PC ip address. On the xbox, maybe in settings, or in your router interface, find its ip address. What are they or do they appear to be in the same range?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:11 pm

By same range, he means are the first three numbers the same on both, i.e., 192.168.1.

Also, if the box is already paired, remove it from WMC before you re-pair on what may be a different LAN segment. You can do this under Control Panel - Devices and Printers.

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks to you both. I'll try checking this when I get home later tonight.