Microsoft finally ceasing production of XBOX 360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft finally ceasing production of XBOX 360

Post by Ed  » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Phil Spencer wrote: Last November, we celebrated a major milestone, as the Xbox 360 console turned 10 years old.

The Xbox 360 helped redefine an entire generation of gaming at Microsoft. I am incredibly proud of all of the work and dedication that went into development of the Xbox 360 hardware, services and games portfolio over the last decade. And I’m grateful to the fans for their continued passion and support.

Franchises like Gears of War were born on the 360, and established blockbusters like Halo really came into their own during this console generation. Xbox 360 was also the foundation for industry-leading technical innovation like Kinect, and the start of system updates and dashboard refreshes based on fan feedback.

Thanks to the Xbox 360, we evolved Xbox Live from the original Xbox into the thriving online gaming community it is today. And the console became a beloved gaming and entertainment hub with over 78 billion gaming hours played, nearly 486 billion Gamerscore on 27 billion achievements and over 25 billion hours spent in apps over its lifetime.

From the original Zero Hour launch event, to the incredible reaction received last year at E3 when we announced that you could play your Xbox 360 games on Xbox One, the soul of Xbox 360 was about putting gamers at the center of every decision we make – and we apply this principle across our business to this day.

Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while we’ve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.

We know that many of you became gamers on Xbox 360 and are still active, so it’s important to us that while the overall Xbox gaming experience will evolve and grow, we will continue to support the platform you love in multiple ways:

Xbox 360 owners will continue to receive Xbox Live services for their console, such as online multiplayer gaming and parties, access to the apps they use today, and Games with Gold and Deals with Gold.
Xbox Live servers that support Xbox 360 services will also remain online and active. Our Xbox 360 fans can continue to play their favorite games with the full support of Xbox Live.
Gamers will also be able to continue to buy over 4,000 Xbox 360 games or Xbox 360 accessories at retail and through our Xbox 360 store online, while supplies last.
Any Xbox 360 hardware will still be supported at xbox.com/support.
And Xbox One owners will be able to continue to enjoy available Xbox 360 games through Xbox One Backward Compatibility – at no additional cost.
I want to personally thank the Xbox community – that includes the vast and diverse audience of gamers, developers and publishers who brought so much passion and creativity to the Xbox 360. You are the heart of what we do at TEAM XBOX, and you have been critical to the success of Xbox 360.

Over the next few weeks and months, we’ll be sharing more of our plans for gaming on Xbox
One, Windows 10 and beyond. And as always, keep the feedback coming.

Thank you.

Phil Spencer
@XboxP3
http://news.xbox.com/2016/04/20/xbox-36 ... -10-years/

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:08 pm

So, another WMC piece chips away, making WMC that much weaker.

What was that I said about WMC being dead?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Never used 360s as extenders. Tried. Couldn't handle the fan noise.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:27 pm

360s? Fan noise???

Wrong xBox. 360 doesn't have any sort of objectionable noise. Previous xBox, though, are way noisier.

Regardless, xBox is the only extender under Win8.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:24 am

An example is extender use in a bedroom. You can certainly hear the fan. I recommend a Google search about the subject.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:55 am

I use one as such. Not a problem.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 am

Never heard the fan on my 360 E extenders in any of my rooms; including the bedroom when I was using WMC (unless it was literally in front of my face). Maybe you had one of the old phat ones or a busted one(s), STC.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 am

Yeah I tried the S model at the time. It was brand new and uncomfortably noisy. A WAF issue too. I've examined the E models up close and did not want to try again.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Hah! I hear you STC, or rather I hear the fan noise. For me the noise emanates from a small fan in the power supply brick. The actual XBox itself is quiet, but the PS fan is annoying. I bought a couple of 360's (E and S models) from GameStop as refurbs and on one machine I returned the PS 3 times until I got a quiet(ish) one. Brick & Mortar & Customer Service still wins there.

But to the point of this thread, I did not realize they even still made new 360s until I read this story. Too bad the XBone does not EXTEND!

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm

There will be second hand boxes for sale for a long long time.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm

adam1991 wrote:360s? Fan noise???

Wrong xBox. 360 doesn't have any sort of objectionable noise. Previous xBox, though, are way noisier.

Huge fan noise from the power brick of any 360 with some age on it, which will be all of them eventually. Hard to run an Xbox without power. Every one I've ever had has been totally unsuitable for a quiet room, eventually.

My Echoes always worked fine under Win 8, although they were a pain to run with no onscreen GUI.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:18 pm

This is where the perception of sound, location, acoustics, placement, room temperature, etc. etc. all come in to play.

Simply put, they were too noisy to use in the environment we required them to work. If they work quietly for you then great. Not for us.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:37 pm

I have five year old XBoxen, used exclusively for extender use, as quiet as the day they were new.

Yes, the PS have fans in them. Not noisy at all, and easier to place out of the way to mitigate if needed.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:22 pm

adam1991 wrote:I have five year old XBoxen, used exclusively for extender use, as quiet as the day they were new.

Yes, the PS have fans in them. Not noisy at all, and easier to place out of the way to mitigate if needed.
Can't argue with actual results. Sounds like some PS fans fare better than others. I wasn't so lucky with my Xboxes. I even took them apart to clean and lubricate to no avail, then tried to find replacement fans without success.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:13 am

adam1991 wrote:360s? Fan noise???

What 360s were you using? The original white Pro models were like a damn jet engine.

This was fixed to some extent in the later models, and then finally for good with the introduction of the Slim (the black model with internal hard drive.).

Granted, this was primarily a problem with gaming as the fans only really kicked into gear under a heavy CPU load and a lot of noise came from the DVD tray. Used as a media player this wouldn't cause as much of an issue until the system got warm or a dvd was played, but they were never ever silent.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:15 am

Also, on topic, there are supposedly a million of these already produced. They are only stopping production, not ending sales.

It will be a long while before hey disappear from shelves.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:51 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 62841D7983
I use this one now, been on the shelf for a while. I just got it back out.
Works great, quiet, plays all the video files through emby.
I also have to dig out the dma2200 for the kids room(old tv)
Both echos are boxed for now because the last time I plugged in the one with beta firmware, the one that played everything, it restored to original.