xbox360 ceton infinitv live tv question

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ymee

HTPC Specs: Show details

xbox360 ceton infinitv live tv question

Post by ymee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am

Hi guys,

I have a ceton infinitv USB setup on my HTPC in the living room. Was thinking about putting an xbox360 in my bedroom in order to be able to watch live TV so the Mrs can watch her programs while I watch something in the living room.

Can the xbox as a media center xtender watch a different channel while the HTPC is tuned to a particular channel, i.e. two separate channels on the two tvs? I have the 4 tuner version of the infinitv.

Thanks.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:15 pm

yes. Each tuner is its own thing, and Media Center knows how to handle that.

You can tune/record up to four independent channels simultaneously.

Bear in mind, while two of you are each watching live TV (why you'd do that instead of watching recorded shows is beyond me), that's taking up two tuners--which leaves two other tuners to record. If you want to record three things while the two of you are watching, that's five tuners--and MC will gripe at you and ask you to resolve the issue back down to the available four tuners.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 pm

adam1991 wrote:Bear in mind, while two of you are each watching live TV (why you'd do that instead of watching recorded shows is beyond me), that's taking up two tuners--which leaves two other tuners to record. If you want to record three things while the two of you are watching, that's five tuners--and MC will gripe at you and ask you to resolve the issue back down to the available four tuners.
i don't believe this is correct. for example, even if you only had one tuner both HTPC and the extender could be viewing the live signal. this is when you get that little symbol which looks like a TV with an arrow coming out of it

ymee

Post by ymee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:03 pm

thanks all, now I need to find a good deal on an xbox360 :)

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Here's the xbox 360 deals from the Microsoft Store

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss ... f4ixx47zzk

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:17 pm

bobbob wrote:i don't believe this is correct. for example, even if you only had one tuner both HTPC and the extender could be viewing the live signal. this is when you get that little symbol which looks like a TV with an arrow coming out of it
well, that may be true. I was talking about two people watching something and then 7MC has three other things scheduled, and wants to record them.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:21 pm

bobbob wrote:
adam1991 wrote:Bear in mind, while two of you are each watching live TV (why you'd do that instead of watching recorded shows is beyond me), that's taking up two tuners--which leaves two other tuners to record. If you want to record three things while the two of you are watching, that's five tuners--and MC will gripe at you and ask you to resolve the issue back down to the available four tuners.
i don't believe this is correct. for example, even if you only had one tuner both HTPC and the extender could be viewing the live signal. this is when you get that little symbol which looks like a TV with an arrow coming out of it
This only applies when the 2 users are watching the same stream. In that case, one tuner would serve both users. But when 2 different streams are being watched, 2 tuners are required (one for each stream).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:50 pm

going back to the OP, he has a Ceton InfiniTV.

Four tuners.

So, he watches one thing, his wife watches something else in another room. 7MC toodles along quietly, streaming those tuners out and recording a couple other things, and then--bam. It's scheduled to record *three* things at the same time.

Two streams going, and it wants three more. That's five. 7MC will gripe, and will ask you to please resolve.