Xbox 360 & WOL

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jbf154

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 & WOL

Post by jbf154 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi folks,

I'm planning on adding an Xbox 360 Slim as an extender in the future. I will have them hooked via WIRED a gigabit network switch. Currently, my WMC PC will sleep after a period of inactivity. I would like it to continue doing that once I add the Xbox (no sense in wasting electricity). If my WMC PC is in standby and I launch the WMC app on my Xbox, will it "wake" my WMC PC via WOL (i.e. magic packet)? Or do I need to let my WMC PC run 24x7?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:59 pm

I just happened to have tested that out a few days ago. The answer is yes ... the extender will wake the media pc (server).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:38 am

garyan2 wrote:I just happened to have tested that out a few days ago. The answer is yes ... the extender will wake the media PC (server).
I can't get this to work on my media center. What settings do you have in power management setting on the adapter in device manager?

I have tried multiple combinations and pc either never wakes up from network traffic or never goes to sleep because of network traffic (or rather it sleeps and the wakes up 8 seconds later).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 am

scyto wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I just happened to have tested that out a few days ago. The answer is yes ... the extender will wake the media PC (server).
I can't get this to work on my media center. What settings do you have in power management setting on the adapter in device manager?

I have tried multiple combinations and PC either never wakes up from network traffic or never goes to sleep because of network traffic (or rather it sleeps and the wakes up 8 seconds later).
The key is supposed to be requiring the magic packet. Sometimes though, it is not enough ... you may find that one of your USB devices will keep you awake. The BIOS settings may also contribute, so good luck. If you need to compare any other settings, let me know and I'll look at my system.
networkWOL.png
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, can tell you that on my machines having just the last wol box checked does not cause the machines to wake up unless one very specific magic packet is sent. This means with the configuration you show the machine never wakes when the extender boots. I think just having that second box checked is same as wol pattern match in the Intel drivers, but not sure.

I installed the Intel drivers that includes settings to ensure the machine can reply to ARP and NS requests (essential for traffic to reach the machine while it is asleep). However when pattern match WOL is disabled the extender never turns on the media center but when pattern match is enabled the machine waked 8 seconds after going to sleep. I have no idea why.

I have some guesses from the info here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 2147217396 but as ther are no apps I can find that allow modification / adding / deleting patterns (though MSDN implies it is possible) I am not sure what to do beyond rebuilding the machine in case something contaminated the patterns stored (for example this is a win8.1 machine paraded from win7 though who knows how many intern builds - definitely double digits.

There are also many follks who have had issues like this with the intel 82579 chip - there is an nvm tool update firmware.

I have on order a tplink cheapass card and Intel sever class card on order, I will report back on results.