Hmm...Xbox 360 emulators ? Extender ?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hmm...Xbox 360 emulators ? Extender ?

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm

I was just looking over something, and came across a Xbox 360 Emulator... It only runs SOME games but, as WMC is a simple application, it could be used to make an extender. So people who wanted to have a HTPC at a 2nd location, they could use that to run a 360 emulator for live TV, etc...

It could give better performance and better speed (better networking)....POSSABLITY !

Found this...

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/xbox360/

and a list of compatible games...

https://github.com/xenia-project/game-compatibility

When it comes down to it, WMC is a very simple app and the resources it needs should be very little. I bet it could be ran in a Rasberry PI with good results if the emulators were good to start with.

NOTE: I could not find anything saying it could run WMC but, it was an idea, someone would have to contact the DEV...etc..

Thoughts ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 pm

That would be really cool. The only problem is it would be kind of an bad move to go over there and request WMC without offering to volunteer to work on it. Maybe if they have a forum somewhere you could bring it up there. I know you have a lot on your hands with the plugin repository so I might venture over there and check it out.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

jachin99 wrote:That would be really cool. The only problem is it would be kind of an bad move to go over there and request WMC without offering to volunteer to work on it. Maybe if they have a forum somewhere you could bring it up there. I know you have a lot on your hands with the plugin repository so I might venture over there and check it out.
They have a forum on Reddit...

I posted here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/xenia/comments ... _extender/

The holy grail of Windows Media Center has always been softsled. This is a software based Extender where you can connect to a WMC machine just like a 360 can.

It was my whole point for WMC for WIndows 10, as I have an office machine that I like to watch TV on when I am working on project (if you look at the early posts on the other site, you will see many posts of mine and testing), as I can share tuners on my Ceton and I could share my recorded shows....TILL Microsoft broke cablecard support...

A true software extender would be expic
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:39 pm

I checked out your link. I'm rooting for ya and I hope there are lots of others doing the same thing. If there is a way I can vote this up, then let me know

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 pm

jachin99 wrote:I checked out your link. I'm rooting for ya and I hope there are lots of others doing the same thing. If there is a way I can vote this up, then let me know
Maybe I'll get some time to test it.... Crossing fingers that it works right away for us.

The interesting thing is, every Windows install has a XboxMCX-V.XEX (C:\Windows\ehome\MCX\X02). Not sure if they are configured for each one.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 am

Well, a possible holy grail is looking like it's dead in the water at this point.

On the 360, it runs a internal 360 app, that runs the XboxMCX-V.XEX from your WMC machine, I believe it's unique to each PC. It's requires components built into the 360 to run and connect.

A quote from reddit... Refering to bring up the Xbox guide...

On a real 360 it's just a process that runs in the background, and since xenia isn't yet capable of running the dash or any of the included binaries in said dashboard there is no point in trying.

An Extender would need binaries to run and network access, 2 things I don't believe it can do.

Oh, well, nice dream to get the possible WMC holy grail (softseld)

Maybe at a later time after it's working much better...but, too early I am thinking..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Thats kind of a shame but I would keep an eye on it. I follow dolphin a little bit and looking back on how far they have come since they started is like Night and Day. As long as that team sticks with it you might be able to do this some day.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm

jachin99 wrote:Thats kind of a shame but I would keep an eye on it. I follow dolphin a little bit and looking back on how far they have come since they started is like Night and Day. As long as that team sticks with it you might be able to do this some day.
Yea, it is a major shame. It's still an early emulator so maybe in time. If people are into it and on Reddit, reply to my post, maybe a handful of replies saying "I would love to have this as well" might get some people looking into it. As there is not a TON of traffic on this site, even 5-10 people could possibly make a difference here.

They would need network support but, As I am not into hacking the 360, I don't know exactly what binaries are on the 360 that are needed for WMC.

So it's a possible 2 fold issue....

...Still, after all these years....dreaming for Softsled and nothing but dead ends...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave