DMA2100 as a Tuner for HD-PVR Which IR Blaster?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
mobilelawyer

HTPC Specs: Show details

DMA2100 as a Tuner for HD-PVR Which IR Blaster?

Post by mobilelawyer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

The end goal is to be able to change channels on the DMA2100, using the HD-PVR blaster. It works with Directv DVRS and TiVos- why not the DMA2100 Media Center Extender?

One problem that I see, of course, is that the listed codes in the blaster.cfg app, do no include any codes for the DMA2100 or any extender. They are for cable/satellite boxes only.

The one time I tried to use the software to "learn" a remote, I could never successfully get a single digit "learned". Has anyone else had any better success with this? And, if the learning function is not available, has anyone changed channels on the DMA2100 for the HD-PVR using any other method?

What I want to do is simply be able to use the WinTV software to start and stop the DMA2100 to record unattended.

DanH

Post by DanH » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:17 am

I think you are a bit confused about how Media Center components work.

A PC is at the heart of the system. And in order to support a DMA2100, that PC cannot be running an OS greater than Windows 7. The Media Center software (a component of some versions of Windows, but not all) has the capability to talk to tuner cards. MC orchestrates what the tuner records and places the stream onto disk. You can playback this content on the PC. Lastly, Media Center Extenders like the DMA-2100 are playback devices that allow you to have a low-powered set top box that you can control with a remote control and is connected to a TV. Lastly, the extender is connected to the PC via networking (wired Gigabit network is HIGHLY recommended). The extender is actually just a display device that utilizes the resources from the PC including CPU, RAM, disk, etc...
Was Danh_HP_m376n

mobilelawyer

Post by mobilelawyer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:50 pm

I understand how Media Center components work. I have Media Center installed on two Windows 7 boxes and also use a DMA2100 as an extender on one of them.

I simply want to use WinTV to change the channel on the extender. Being able to do that has nothing directly to do with any of the Media Center installations. But what it allows is a third way to watch and set up recordings, using the HD-PVR, indirectly, or remotely, using the WinTV software.

It was easy to do when I had Directv on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Media Center was not installed on those boxes, but by feeding the Directv dvr output into the HD-PVR, I could use the WinTV software to set up recording through the HD-PVR. The WinTV software used the HD-PVR blaster to change channels on the Directv DVR. The Blast.cfg program with WinTV had the codes for Directv, so channel changing worked swimmingly using the HD-PVR blaster. WinTV allows the use of Titan TV scheduling to tune the DVR at a specified time and record it using the stream from the directv dvr.

There is no reason that would not work with the DMA2100, but there is no code for its remote (or any MCE remote) in the WinTV Blast.cfg program. The DMA2100 streams perfectly into the Hauppage Capture program. You supposedly can program the HD-PVR blaster, but I have never gotten that to work, and have found evidence that no one else has either. I could be wrong. Perhaps a reader of this forum has successfully done it.

I am confident another follower of the form has found a way to get it working, and that is what I am asking about. I probably was not clear enough in my original post.

mobilelawyer

Post by mobilelawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Administrator, not hearing any further replies on this query, it occurs to me that perhaps I should have posted it to XBOX & Legacy Extenders, rather than this topic.

Would it be appropriate to move it there?

Thanks.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:39 pm

mobilelawyer wrote:I understand how Media Center components work. I have Media Center installed on two Windows 7 boxes and also use a DMA2100 as an extender on one of them.

I simply want to use WinTV to change the channel on the extender. Being able to do that has nothing directly to do with any of the Media Center installations. But what it allows is a third way to watch and set up recordings, using the HD-PVR, indirectly, or remotely, using the WinTV software.

It was easy to do when I had Directv on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Media Center was not installed on those boxes, but by feeding the Directv dvr output into the HD-PVR, I could use the WinTV software to set up recording through the HD-PVR. The WinTV software used the HD-PVR blaster to change channels on the Directv DVR. The Blast.cfg program with WinTV had the codes for Directv, so channel changing worked swimmingly using the HD-PVR blaster. WinTV allows the use of Titan TV scheduling to tune the DVR at a specified time and record it using the stream from the directv dvr.

There is no reason that would not work with the DMA2100, but there is no code for its remote (or any MCE remote) in the WinTV Blast.cfg program. The DMA2100 streams perfectly into the Hauppage Capture program. You supposedly can program the HD-PVR blaster, but I have never gotten that to work, and have found evidence that no one else has either. I could be wrong. Perhaps a reader of this forum has successfully done it.

I am confident another follower of the form has found a way to get it working, and that is what I am asking about. I probably was not clear enough in my original post.
I think I understand what your trying to do but, a DMA-2100 would not do what you want. It's a dumb WMC terminal that is all it is, running WMC software on it. To run a 3rd party program like HD-PVR on it, you would need to fully hack it and enable it to get a RDP session or something. This is NOT possable on a DMA-2100 (or any other WMC extender, even the 360 in extender mode).

The WinTV software is a Windows based program. About the ONLY way to use it with a DMA-2100 in anyway, is to set it up with WMC, use WMC and use the 2100 as an extender.

Now maybe your not 100% clear, are you looking to use WMC as a source on your HD-PVR software ? You should be able to "learn" the WMC codes, I use them for a universal remote with no problems, just by learning them.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mobilelawyer

Post by mobilelawyer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:26 pm

You are overthinking my issue. Think about it this way:

The DMA2100 is controlled by IR. I just need to get its IR code into the blaster.cfg program for WinTV or find some alternative way to use the IR blaster that works with the HD-PVR to make it use the correct codes to change channels on the DMA2100.

If the working codes for the DMA2100 were pre-programmed into the blaster.cfg program, I would not be asking the question. The blaster supposedly can be programmed, according to the instructions, but I could not get that to work. Evidence suggest that others have had the same problem.

Perhaps someone has used the IR Suite program to make that work, but I have not found mention of it. I can control the DMA2100 remotely using my Slingbox. The Slingbox set up had a code for some long-forgotten Linksys box that works perfectly to control the DMA2100. Its blaster allows me to watch live tv, access the guide, set up and play back recordings on my Windows 7 Media Center machine through the DMA2100. The Slingbox is simply streaming the output from the DMA2100.