New Netgear R5300 router issues

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ernstgot

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Netgear R5300 router issues

Post by ernstgot » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Upgraded my router (old router nighthawk 1900) and now my network speed test that the xbox 360 can run shows 2mb or under for download. So media center loads sometimes but not others. Either way I can't play any video with it. Yes I have tried resetting network adapter. on the server, removed and reset wifi on the xbox, tried many different channels, turned on and off password for wifi. I placed back my old router and works again. I can't find anything on why a new router would do this. I have tried 3 different newer routers and none of them seem to allow the xbox 360 extender to connect.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:51 pm

The general consensus is that routers make terrible switches. Let the router handle routing, and let a dedicated gigabit switch do that.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Bryan wrote:The general consensus is that routers make terrible switches. Let the router handle routing, and let a dedicated gigabit switch do that.
^^^This....plus Netgear sucks.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ernstgot

Post by ernstgot » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 pm

It's wifi so a switch won't work. I had Linksys and it was even worse for everything!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Why wouldn't it work? The modem is connected to the router, and one of the ports on the router goes to a switch. Nothing about that stops you from using wifi.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Xbox wifi is tricky. On my Netgear R7000 I had to set the "2.4 GHz mode" to "Up to 289Mbps" (yes, a much slower speed than Max) in order for the Xbox wifi to get enough throughput. On other wifi routers you have to use 20MHz channel mode (NOT 40MHz). 802.11n had some issues and XBox360 wifi suffers with them. I also use external MS Xbox wifi adapter dongles, because built-in Xbox wifi is the worst.

Finally, you could try setting up a separate SSID on the 5GHz radio and using that exclusively for XBox.

(EDIT: Another significant setting, in Netgear Advanced Wireless Settings 2.4GHz make sure "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" is NOT checked)

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:11 pm

I completely missed that the Xbox was using wireless. However, that just takes me to wireless is for convenience, not reliability. Run a wire if at all possible, even if it's powerline.

ernstgot

Post by ernstgot » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:27 am

Tried all that still no luck. Dam .

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:01 am

Well, what's the reason for the uograde? Similar to my earlier suggestion of a dedicated switch, I prefer a dedicated wireless access point. If the router is okay but wireless sucks, that may be an option. Or as I said, a wire of some sort.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:31 pm

ernstgot wrote:Tried all that still no luck. Dam .
Did "all that" include a wired connection, as Bryan suggests? One other area where I have seen Xbox connectivity problems is with NetBios packets not getting through. Ancient NetBios packets need a pure switch to travel (NOT a router) because they are not TCP/IP packets. Some part of WMC still uses that protocol and I've seen menus work but playback fail when this problem exists.

You said you swapped your old router back in and it works. New router fails. But are there any other "hops"/devices added to your new path versus old?

ernstgot

Post by ernstgot » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Nothing new was added. Wired works but can't wire in the location. Put old router back in and worked. I really need the newer one for the higher bandwidth.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Powerline is a wired option you might want to look at. Have all the new routers you tried been the same model? It might be time to give up on that model.

Short of wiring, my suggestion would be stick with the current router (assuming wireless is the only thing you're trying to fix), disable the wireless on it, and get a new access point instead. I like Ubiquiti for that.