Xbox 360 cannot connect to the Windows Media Center PC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
tardyturtle

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 cannot connect to the Windows Media Center PC

Post by tardyturtle » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:05 am

I have never had any issues with the Xbox 360's connecting to the media center until one day out of the blue last week, without making any changes to my setup I got the following error on my Xbox 360's

When the Xbox 360 starts up, it goes through the initial white screen where it says "Finding Windows Media Center PC" and then "Downloading", then it switches to the black WMC screen where it says "Connecting" but then it times out and gives the above error.

It happens on both of my Xbox 360's I have set up as Media Center Extenders. A fresh restart of the HTPC will resolve the issue temporarily and allow me to connect using the extenders just fine, but within six or less hours, I have the same problem when I try to connect. Restarting the Xbox 360's will not fix the problem without a hard reset of the HTPC. I do not have any firewall software other than the built-in Windows Firewall. I have had my HTPC running Windows 8 with WMC without any problems for two and a half years, and I have had two Xbox 360's acting as extenders for the last two years. The network is hard-wired ethernet.

I have searched online, and based on what I found online, I have tried the following:
-Delete the Media Center Extenders from the HTPC and reconfigure them.
-Delete the Media Center Certificate (so a new one is generated)
-Ensure that Windows Media Center Service is running and is set to start "Automatically". I have also tried stopping and restarting the service. All dependencies were also verified to be running and set to start Automatically.
-Ensure that UPnP Device Host is set to start "Automatically" and is running.
-Connect via WiFi.
-Reserve IP addresses for all devices.
-Ensure UPnP is enabled on router.
-Swap out a different router.
-Ensure Media Center Extenders was under Allowed Applications in Windows Firewall.
-Completely disable Windows Firewall
-Ensure "Network Discovery" is turned on in Networking settings
-Ensure Xboxes were allowed Media Streaming under Network Settings.
-Windows system restore to a couple months ago.

My workaround so far is to have the HTPC automatically restart every morning at 4:30 am so that when I get up in the morning, the extender in my room will function, but when I get home from work, the issue happens again, and I have to reset the computer. It's a bit pesky, especially if I need to restart the computer but it is in the middle of a recording in the evening. Based on what I have found, I concluded it is probably a system process that is crashing, given that it stops working after a couple hours and is fixed by a reboot. I don't think it's the network because I have swapped out routers, and I don't think it's the Xbox because it happens on both of the ones I have.

Does anybody have suggestions for other things to troubleshoot for this issue? I really don't want to have to do a fresh re-imaging of my setup. Any help is much appreciated!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:39 am

Have a look in event viewer for extender errors.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 am

EventViewer/Applications/MediaCenter

Any errors?

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking in Event Viewer, at the time I tried to connect this evening I have the following error:
Cannot send Media Center Extender Softward to Extender "uuid:..."
Error: The sephamore timeout period has expired.

Event ID 301
Source: Media Center Extender
Level: Error

Though I don't necessarily see this same error every time I try to connect and it fails. On other instances where I have tried to connect and failed, I get an Information event with no errors:
"Media Center Extender software was sent to Extender "uuid:..."
Software version:...

Event ID 300
Level: Information

I also have a few errors of the following type which looks like it happens a couple times a day, but it looks like this has been ongoing:
"Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)"
Event ID: 0
Source: MCUpdate

I should add too that I've noticed that the computer will often get hung-up for a while while trying to shut down and restart whenever I have this issue, compared to shutting down quickly before restarting normally.

Thoughts on the errors? Thanks for your help!

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Is there only one physical router between your HTPC and the 360: HTPC <--- ethernet ---> router <--- ethernet ---> xbox
No other switches, hubs or hops?
Has any of your network gear received a recent firmware update? I see you "Swap out a different router", so obviously firmware update is a stretch, unless you swapped with the same make/model.
Is your HTPC allowed to receive Windows updates? What is the date on your HTPC LAN driver? I do see your "Windows system restore to a couple months ago" should eliminate this possible issue, but it seems like a networking issue from everything you have described.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

tardyturtle wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking in Event Viewer, at the time I tried to connect this evening I have the following error:
Cannot send Media Center Extender Softward to Extender "uuid:..."
Error: The sephamore timeout period has expired.

Event ID 301
Source: Media Center Extender

Though I don't necessarily see this same error every time I try to connect and it fails. On other instances where I have tried to connect and failed, I get an Information event with no errors:
"Media Center Extender software was sent to Extender "uuid:..."
Software version:...

Event ID 300
Level: Information

I also have a few errors of the following type which looks like it happens a couple times a day, but it looks like this has been ongoing:
"Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)"
Event ID: 0
Source: MCUpdate
error: the sephamore timeout period has expired xbox360 Google this! It appears to be related to WiFi, Network, Firewall, or AntiVirus. The Xbox360 site should have an explanation for you. It appears there are several different directions the troubleshooting could go. From our past experience, the most likely culprit is WiFi/Network.

To eliminate WiFi and Network as being "part of" or "the entire" problem

1) Don't use the Router as a switch. Personally I only use the routers switch ports for WAP's
2) Cable all the 360's and the HTPC to the same Switch
3) Disable WiFi on the Xbox's

MCUpdate would be an unrelated issue, start a separate post for that one.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:45 pm

This is how I do the cabling for an Extender Network.

All the extenders, network tuners, and HTPC are cabled to the same switch. The switch should be beefy enough (not only GIG but have a large buffer) to handle everything running at the same time. Switch has direct connection to Router/CableModem/Internet.

All the Wap's have direct access to router/CableModem/internet.

Most of the time, residentially, this type of arrangement is impossible without re-cabling, and as a get-buy, a series of WiFi routers are placed in various rooms and used as combination wap/switch. Most of the time, routers don't work well as switches, and routing-switches are expensive.

If your situation prevents re-cabling, a set of UpLinked switches can act as if they were one. You would have to pull a wire(s) between the UpLinked switches. Not all switches have this feature.

The question I have is ... How do we accomplish this using WiFi?
Attachments
ExtenderNetwork001.jpg
ExtenderNetwork002.jpg

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Crash2009,
The OP did already indicate "The network is hard-wired ethernet". tardyturtle just said he/she tried to "Connect via WiFi". So, I wouldn't go to far down the WiFi rabbit-hole :) But knowing OP's basic config, number of switches, routers, hubs and interconnects might help rule some network failures in or out.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:52 pm

The link I looked at..... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... d23cc7dce3 suggested the error arises from trying to connect from a wireless device. (error: the sephamore timeout period has expired xbox360) sephamore must be a typo. Possibly the correct spelling is semaphore?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

This behavior is usually caused by factors such as faulty network equipment or an incorrect network switch or router configuration. Follow the steps in the "What To Try" section to help determine the cause and to find a resolution.

1. Reconfigure the network setup. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Connect the Windows Vista-based Media Center computer to the Xbox 360 console by using an Ethernet cable.

Note In this setup, the console and the computer use "autonet" addresses, such as 169.254.x.x.

b. On the computer, change the location type from Public to Private. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, type sharing in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

1. In the Network area, click Customize.

2. Click Private.

3. Select Next.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

4. Click Close.

c. In the Media section, select Media Center to start the setup process or to try to connect again. The Xbox 360 console will perform a network test, and you will receive a report that is similar to the following message:

Limited Network Connection:
Your console didn’t obtain an IP address from your DHCP server. An IP address is usually required for your console to contact your PC with Windows Media center. Check your network connection in Network Settings.

d. Select Continue.

2. If you can establish a connection between the console and the computer in this network configuration, try the original network configuration again.

If the original network configuration still does not work, troubleshoot the network equipment and the firewall settings.

For more information about the network equipment, contact the manufacturer of the equipment.

For more information about how to set up a firewall to work with a Windows Media Center-based computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

h t t p ://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winf ... fault.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx)

For more information regarding XBOX, you may post your queries - http://forums.xbox.com/

Shalini
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Possibly the solution to this problem might be as simple as....

Prioritize network connections. WiFi might be set as first instead of last.

As a simple test, disable the WiFi Adapter in Device Manager.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 pm

Alternately, in a similar vein: restart the network switch. I mean, pull the plug, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

And of course, the network switch could be going bad.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The setup is that I have both XBox 360's connected via separate DECA adapters to one router that is hardwired to the HTPC and directly to my cable modem, so there are not multiple switches. I wondered if the DECA could be the issue, but I have two completely separate pairs of DECA adapters connecting them (I connect the DECA adapters to the wall jacks and put a female-female coupler between the coax from that room and one of two extra coax connectors in the room with my HTPC--these are separate from the coax supplying the cable and the internet only runs directly on the coax from one point to the next).

I will try connecting the XBox directly to the PC and also try disabling the WiFi on the XBox 360's. The HTPC doesn't have a WiFi adapter. It's not doing the issue right now, so I will have to wait until I have the issue again.

I have had Windows Update shut off since I installed my setup so that it doesn't mess things up. My Network adapter drivers are from back in 2013. The router drivers are the original and have not been updated. I could try updating them to see what happens. I'll get a good hard restart of the router when I update the drivers. Will update you as I get more info!

Thanks again!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:09 am

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 949#p88949

Have a look through the link above. There is a couple good manuals in there. Don't use the router as a switch. Use the router in the primary circuit. Use a switch in the secondary circuit and connect the Xbox's and htpc to the switch.

Your Xbox's would be connected to the GIG switch, same place as the HTPC, I believe the switch is a TP-Link, fairly good quality for 50-60 bucks.
Attachments
SimpleMoCA.jpg
SimpleMoCAwithETH6andTA_001.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:20 am

I just noticed, the first picture has a combination Modem/Router which you don't have.

Your Primary Circuit would look something like this.

I'll have to sleep on it for the (what cable goes where in the Primary Circuit)
Attachments
DecaPrimarySecondary001.jpg

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:17 pm

tardyturtle wrote:The setup is that I have both XBox 360's connected via separate DECA adapters to one router that is hardwired to the HTPC
Yeah, I would try connecting an Xbox with ethernet, no DECA, no WiFi, for a couple of days and see if you don't get any disconnects. It's possible that some of your DECA gear is just wearing out after years of blissful operation.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I just noticed, the first picture has a combination Modem/Router which you don't have.

Your Primary Circuit would look something like this.

I'll have to sleep on it for the (what cable goes where in the Primary Circuit)
Here is the pdf that explains what goes where..... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/dow ... hp?id=1988

It depends on what DeCa adapter you have. In the examples, some adapters have a coax IN and OUT, others have only an IN. If yours have IN only you need to use a splitter.

The Primary Circuit is what creates your network, provides an IP address, and permits internet access, to all the devices plugged in to the Secondary, or even Tertiary and Quaternary Circuit.
Attachments
DecaPrimary001.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm

DrSmith wrote:
tardyturtle wrote:The setup is that I have both XBox 360's connected via separate DECA adapters to one router that is hardwired to the HTPC
Yeah, I would try connecting an Xbox with ethernet, no DECA, no WiFi, for a couple of days and see if you don't get any disconnects. It's possible that some of your DECA gear is just wearing out after years of blissful operation.
I agree. It appears the main problem is xb1, xb2, and htpc, are on 3 (possibly 4 if you include WiFi) separate circuits. Get them all on the same switch and network problems will be eliminated.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 pm

tardyturtle wrote:I connect the DECA adapters to the wall jacks and put a female-female coupler between the coax from that room and one of two extra coax connectors in the room with my HTPC--these are separate from the coax supplying the cable and the internet only runs directly on the coax from one point to the next
Also, give your cabling a very close inspection where possible. Make sure F-Connectors are all firmly attached. Look for signs of cable strain, where coax might be stretched or kinked. If you have a voltmeter, measure the DC output from power bricks. Because I suspect after your true ethernet hard-wire experiment works fine, you'll be wondering what is wrong with the DECA set up.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:23 pm

DrSmith wrote:
tardyturtle wrote:I connect the DECA adapters to the wall jacks and put a female-female coupler between the coax from that room and one of two extra coax connectors in the room with my HTPC--these are separate from the coax supplying the cable and the internet only runs directly on the coax from one point to the next
Also, give your cabling a very close inspection where possible. Make sure F-Connectors are all firmly attached. Look for signs of cable strain, where coax might be stretched or kinked. If you have a voltmeter, measure the DC output from power bricks. Because I suspect after your true ethernet hard-wire experiment works fine, you'll be wondering what is wrong with the DECA set up.
Yes, if you end up having to get into that area, there are some training videos at Extreme Broadband, that I found very helpful. You have to register to see the videos.

http://www.extreme-broadband.com/traini ... ate=dialog

In the Cable 101 Passive Troubleshooting video, the section on Digital Contacts covers most of the coax cabling issues.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions, especially the network optimization and use of a switch to link all the boxes.

I was able to connect the XBox 360 directly to the HTPC with a fresh piece of ethernet cable and no router/hub in between and WiFi disconnected (I had it forget my WiFi). Unfortunately, I got the same issue. I know that the two were able to talk, as I was logging events on the HTPC where it says that the software was sent to the extender, but the XBox gives me the same error. With a fresh restart of the HTPC, everything is working again (for a little while at least...). Mind you, I didn't always get errors logged when it won't connect (often it will say that the software was sent to the extender but it won't connect and it won't log an error).

This all is leading me again down the path that this is a software or Windows firewall issue, and not a router/wiring issue. I just cant figure out which service is failing.

When I stop the Media Center Extender service, the computer and the XBox won't find each other (won't even get to the black screen), so that's not the problem. I have also tried killing services like Network List Service and UPnP Device Host to see if those would reproduce the error, but the services flawlessly started back up again.

I'm debating disabling Windows Media Center and reinstalling the package to see if that might fix the issue. My only question for that is if anyone knows of a way to save all of my recording settings so I don't have to add all of those back in manually.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!