How to start Xbox 360 extender in live TV - Windows 8 and 7

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
seawind

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to start Xbox 360 extender in live TV - Windows 8 and 7

Post by seawind » Thu May 12, 2016 3:23 am

I'm still using Windows 7 pro because I have both Ceton Echo's and Xbox 360's as extenders on my network. I found a thread with instructions on how to start an Xbox 360 extender in live TV mode on WIndows 8 from member wilkcards this evening http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=3923. It didn't work at first but with a slight modification I was able to get it working on Windows 7 Pro, here is how:

1. Create this directory, C:\Windows\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts\

2. Inside this directory, create a text file (I used mcx.txt for the name). Open the text file and paste one of the following:

for launching directly in to media browser paste this: %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

for launching directly in to live TV paste this: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /mcesuperbar://tv?live=true

3. Save the text file and rename the extension from a .txt to .cmd (i.e. mcx.txt to mcx.cmd). This is your script file, you can double click it to test it. If it didn't launch directly to media browser or live TV, you did something wrong

4. Click the Windows Orb in the task bar, right click "Computer" and choose "Manage" from the pop up menu

5. From the window that opens up, on the left hand column, click the arrow beside "Local users and Groups" to expand it. From the expanded bit, you will see folders inside, click the "Users" folder

6. Now, on the right hand column, right click the Media Centre Extender account and choose properties (it's usually Mcx1-something, but check the description on the far right if not sure)

7. A window will pop up, go to the "profile" tab, and enter C:\Windows\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts (or wherever you saved your script file mcx.cmd) in the "Profile path", it's the 1st box.

8. A window will pop up, go to the "profile" tab, and enter mcx.cmd (or whatever name you used for your script file xxxxxx.cmd) in the "Logon Script", it's the 2nd box. DON'T change anything else

9. Click apply, and then okay. Exit all windows

10. Launch your 360 to make sure it works

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Well written..... Thank-you!

randman

Post by randman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks for this. I will admit, the Live TV is pretty slow to start, but I have always wanted to do this. I did not try the media browser option.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, so the user management described in step 4 is not available. Instead, I had to use the "NET USER" commands through the command prompt. Here are the steps I used in lieu of steps 4-9 above.

4. Press Window + R keys and type control userpasswords2

5. Find the name of the Media Center Extender account (Mcx.....) - this is the username used in step 7

6. Open the command prompt (I chose Run as Administrator - not sure if it matters)

7. Enter command: Net User username /profilepath:C:\Windows\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts (or wherever you saved your script file mcx.cmd) /scriptpath:mcx.cmd

8. Press Enter. Command should be successful.

9. You can check by entering command: Net User username - the User Profile and Logon Script should match what was entered above