Still no media streaming for Xbox One

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
newbyj99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Still no media streaming for Xbox One

Post by newbyj99 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:55 am

I'm sure these complaints have been posted before but I cannot believe I bought my xbox one 10 months ago last December and there is still no way to stream my media to it. Earlier today I was doing some work around the house and wanted to listen to some music while doing so. When I had my 360, it was so easy...I would launch media center and then play the music from my PC and usually stream a slideshow of family pictures at the same time.

Not only is there no media center on the Xbox one, there is absolutely no way to stream my music, pictures, or home videos through the Xbox One to my TV. I remember when my friends used to come over and they were amazed at how easy it was to stream all the stuff from my PC to my TV through media center on the 360.

Very frustrating that I spent $500 for a device that is supposed to be the center of my living room and yet it can't do these simple things.

I'm getting older (42) and don't play as many games as I used to it. Looks like I will be replacing my Xbox for a Roku and Plex. I've always been a Microsoft supporter (love my surface tablet) but I can't fathom why they won't put some streaming functionality into the Xbox one. Since they won't, I for one have bought my last xbox.

Sorry for the rant.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 am

I imagine it will come at some point (minus the media center, that seems dead to Microsoft). This is why you don't become an early adopter of game consoles these days. They rush them. The old ones are still being supported quite well and the new ones take quite awhile to gain market share. The XBOX 360 would have been known as the best media/game console of all time had they accepted Blue Ray at the time, however since Sony owned those rights that wasn't going to happen.(The battle between DVD-HD and Blue Ray was going on at the time). We shall see how the PS4 and XBONE compare as time goes on, but WMC is dead to Microsoft.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:40 am

DLNA support is coming in the October update. They've been adding a ton of stuff over the past year, it's getting better.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:32 pm

http://www.wpcentral.com/plex-xbox-one- ... ly-testing
This is coming as well.. I don't know if you use PLEX or would be interested in this but it is an option for streaming your media to Xbox One (eventually, hopefully sooner than later).
newfiend~

jfpro

Post by jfpro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Plex coming tomorrow to Xbox One.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:40 pm

They are releasing this for the Xbox 360 as well as Xbox One. They are currently exclusive to PlexPass members only at the moment afaik.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:25 pm

If you have Plex pass and an Xbox One you can now download the new app http://m.wpcentral.com/get-ready-stream ... e-download

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:50 am

FYI, the October update is out. I've never had much luck with the built-in DLNA on WHS 2011, but a few folders did show up. I was not able to get it to find or play any .mkv files or any recorded TV, but I did get to play some files. For more serious usage, Plex is likely the way to go for now, but the One does have support on its own.

edit: after updating Media Browser and enabling its DLNA server, I'm able to play .mkv, as well as recorded TV shows.