Xbox360s connection failures

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
shoffert

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox360s connection failures

Post by shoffert » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:21 am

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's wrong with my xbox. I have two xbox360 slims set up as extenders. Both are seemingly configured the same way (static IP addr, different address for each of course). One of the two works flawlessly. The other is having an issue with connection failures if I'm ever idle (any content is either stopped or paused). If I'm idle for a few minutes, the unit will have a connection failure (The Xbox 360 cannot connect to the network. Make sure the network cable or adapter is plugged...). So it seems to lose the connection for about a minute, then will reconnect on its own. Once reconnected, I can continue using again... until I go idle for a few minutes and it craps out again. Here are the other facts/stuff I've tried:

- Like I mentioned, both units are on their own static IP, wired gigabit on the same switch as the HTPC
- I tried swapping the two units (just unplugging the cords and swapping boxes) to see if the symptoms were from any wiring issues, but the same unit still had the same behavior in the other location
- I tried deleting the extender and re-configuring it, but the issue persists
- I tried reformatting the xbox's hard drive and that didn't help
- The offending xbox also tends to drop an xbox live connection too
- Running windows 7 64 bit

I feel like I've ruled out everything between the HTPC and the extenders. So either something's wrong with the extender, or there's a configuration issue on the HTPC that doesn't like this particular unit. My hunch is the HTPC is fine, as I've cleared the extender and re-configured it a couple times with no success.

Any guesses on solutions? Is my xbox just breaking down? Fortunately, this is the unit in my pseudo-man cave, so the WAF doesn't take a hit.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Sounds to me like the Ethernet connector/connection is failing or broken. Since you have an issue with both WMC and Xbox Live loosing connection that would be my guess. Is it under warranty? I would have it looked at. I bet that's the issue. I think you have done everything else you can to narrow down the issue.
newfiend~

shoffert

Post by shoffert » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm sure it's well past it's warranty. I've had it for a few years (and wouldn't have receipts anyway).

The interesting part is that it works great as long as I have content streaming. It only cuts out when I pause/stop content for a minute or so. I may see what happens if I connect via (gasp) wireless.

At least it's tolerable for now.