Xbox 360 extender "failed to connect"

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Harriet Tubman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 extender "failed to connect"

Post by Harriet Tubman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Been having an issue for a while where one of my two Xbox 360 extenders will only connect immediately after a reboot of WMC
PC. My other extender never has that problem. The "problem" extender will be off all day while I am at work and when I get home and turn it on, I get the dark blue error screen that reads "the Xbox 360 has failed to connect to your WMC PC. Please try to reconnect." It never reconnects without me rebooting the WMC PC. For a short while after a reboot, the "problem" extender will connect without issue. I can turn it off and go to bed, then the next morning it will connect just fine. Once I turn it off as I leave for work (or am gone for an extender period), I usually get the "fail to connect" screen when I get home. My second Xbox 360 works just fine. I turn it on and the television stations work perfectly.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate the help. Thank you!

FYI, I am new to this. I just "shaved" the cable cord.

dab2kab

Post by dab2kab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 am

If you are connecting the extender via ethernet cable through a router or switch, i would try connecting the extender directly to the pc and seeing if the same issue happens. I would also check and make sure you have the latest ethernet drivers for your system, and update them if they are old and see if that helps.

Harriet Tubman

Post by Harriet Tubman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

dab2kab wrote:If you are connecting the extender via ethernet cable through a router or switch, i would try connecting the extender directly to the PC and seeing if the same issue happens. I would also check and make sure you have the latest ethernet drivers for your system, and update them if they are old and see if that helps.
Thank you for the response. The "problem" extender is connected via etherent cable to my router. I will try it connected directly to the PC.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 am

I have been having the same exact problem for ages. See the following post
viewtopic.php?t=10083
for everything I tried. After the suggestions there to add a switch and to connect all of the devices through the switch, rather than the router, I did that and still get the issue.

The best solution I have found so far is to have your computer automatically reboot, but that doesn't work so well (may need to reboot frequently and would interfere with ongoing recordings). I'll buy a beer to whomever can figure this out!