Ceton Echo & Xbox cannot play H.264 protected content

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.

Re: Ceton Echo & Xbox cannot play H.264 protected content

Post#401 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 am

For the love of God...do not do auto updates on anything! :) Stick to what works and don't change it. As I've noted, still running Win7 with maybe one minor update.

I tried running DVI as that's what came with my systems but need HDMI to TV. Well, nothing I tried passed audio so I installed an HDMI card. That's not an issue for you as you can run separate audio.

I have noticed a degradation in picture quality since the changeover. But that's because of of going from 1080 to 720, not DVI/HDMI choice.

Oh, I forgot...it's 720/60 so it is an upgrade! Pathetic Comcast!

If your source is non-Comcast then
artm

-Art -- Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), HDHomerun Prime
Migrated from HP 4420S, i5, Intel HD3000 to Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710 (thanks Comcast !)

Post#402 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:01 pm

A data point if it's helpful and this seems to fall into patterns others have expressed in this thread...similar Comcast issue (St Louis Park, MN). Win 8.1.

PC had Intel HD 3000 onboard graphics. Updating to a newer video card (I had a GTX 970 lying around - probably overkill) fixed the problem BUT ONLY ON THE PC.

My Xbox 360 extenders are still showing the "audio is fine but video only updates sporadically" issue on HBO.
Eckless

Post#403 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm

What's your status viewing/recording Comcast DRM channels?

What video card are you running?
artm

-Art -- Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), HDHomerun Prime
Migrated from HP 4420S, i5, Intel HD3000 to Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710 (thanks Comcast !)

Post#404 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Off-topic comments deleted.
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Post#405 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Good news, bad news. Several months ago Comcast Boston went H.264/mpeg4 on HBO and my HBO went to black screen on my Xbox extenders. I just took HBO out of my line-up and ignored it until yesterday. Yesterday (5/13) I added HBO back in and found that I could once again watch live, record and playback HBO on Xbox. Nothing has changed on my receiver/WMC so I guess something about the mpeg4 encoding has changed?

Anyway, I recorded "Veep" last night and it plays back without error this morning. I don't consider myself a PQ expert, but it does not look as crisp to me as my MPEG-2 HD channels, seems softer and fuzzy.

Now the bad news. My next recording after "Veep" is garbage. My machine thought it recorded "Mad About You" (which I have been recording daily without any problems) but there is a 30 minute .wtv file full of gibberish. I think the receiver does not correctly return to MPEG-2 decoding after being on an H.264/mpeg4 channel.

FWIW - I'm getting this on a Hauppauge DCR 2650, firmware version: 20111025. I'm running Win7 with firmware updates disabled.
DrSmith

Post#406 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

update: My recording after HBO was not total garbage. I manually forced ffmpeg to decode the garbled "Mad About You" recording with the mpeg2video codec and it was fine. So, I think my receiver correctly streams MPEG-2 following H.264/MPEG-4, but the WMC process that builds a .wtv container incorrectly labeled it "32x16 h264" instead of "1280x720 mpeg2video"
DrSmith

Post#407 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:37 am

See the below thread about an issue that a few have had (including me) with recordings when going back and forth between MPEG4 and MPEG2:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=10748

Only FiOS customers (so far) have reported the problem, but I find it hard to believe that it would not affect other cable company customers as well.

If the problem is with the container (which I suspect may be the case) perhaps someone with a good understanding of this stuff can make a tool to fix the container on these videos so that they play back properly. Unfortunately that is probably not an option for copy protected recordings.
Space

Previous

Return to XBOX & Legacy Extenders