Ceton Echo & Xbox cannot play H.264 protected content

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.

Re: Ceton Echo & Xbox cannot play H.264 protected content

Post#401 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 am

For the love of God...do not do auto updates on anything! :) Stick to what works and don't change it. As I've noted, still running Win7 with maybe one minor update.

I tried running DVI as that's what came with my systems but need HDMI to TV. Well, nothing I tried passed audio so I installed an HDMI card. That's not an issue for you as you can run separate audio.

I have noticed a degradation in picture quality since the changeover. But that's because of of going from 1080 to 720, not DVI/HDMI choice.

Oh, I forgot...it's 720/60 so it is an upgrade! Pathetic Comcast!

If your source is non-Comcast then
artm

-Art -- Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), HDHomerun Prime
Migrated from HP 4420S, i5, Intel HD3000 to Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710 (thanks Comcast !)

Post#402 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:01 pm

A data point if it's helpful and this seems to fall into patterns others have expressed in this thread...similar Comcast issue (St Louis Park, MN). Win 8.1.

PC had Intel HD 3000 onboard graphics. Updating to a newer video card (I had a GTX 970 lying around - probably overkill) fixed the problem BUT ONLY ON THE PC.

My Xbox 360 extenders are still showing the "audio is fine but video only updates sporadically" issue on HBO.
Eckless

Post#403 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 pm

I am new and late to this thread. It seems Comcast and the latest firmware update for my HDhomerun prime has made my windows media center system a bunch of paper weighs.

I have a dell inspiron 3847 (I3 processor) running windows media center with a hdhomerun prime and cable card from Comcast. Plus have two Linksys DMA 2200 and one Ceton Echo media extenders. ALL WERE working just great for two years until a week or so ago. Comcast is converting apparently all their HD programming including protected content to H.264 whatever that is, in our area (Sarasota FL)

Anyhow after discovering the DMA2200 no longer displayed half of my channels I thought time to upgrade my Hdhomerun prime to latest firmware, Big mistake. was running version 20141124 for 2 years, never a hitch, now running 20161117 and lots of problems. I was unaware of the Comcast switch and incompatibility of the DMA2200 to play h.264 until I started to research and found this thread. Also My dell can no longer play the protected content, audio, no video. Thanks Comcast. So I installed a GT630 video card which was suppose to fix that problem. Now I only get HD protected video, no other non HD protected video, and it locks up constantly. The ceton echo kind of works but it too locks up going from HD to non HD etc, etc.

So from what I read there are NO fixes to get my system working 100% anymore. Am I correct in assuming the

1, DMA2200 cannot be updated
2, The Ceton echo, I have no idea what to do there. It worked great before the firmware upgade to the HDhomerun prime
3, The new video card does not seem to be helping
4, I cannot seem to get an answer from Silicon Dust if I can install the old firmware on my HDhomerun prime to get it working better. I called three days ago, no response. also I cannot find any way of doing it online in the various forums I am now researching.

Any comments.

Thanks jjshdhrprime
jjshdhrprime

Post#404 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:57 am

I've been running HP laptops with Intel 300, WMC and Primes for years, very nicely. Some notes:

1. I have NEVER updated the Prime's firmware, sticking with the original 2012 version. I recently asked the SD forum about updating to try to resolve the Comcast issue and I tried the latest version FOR THE PRIME. Not the latest that includes compatibility with their new DVR app or whatever else they have. I wanted nothing of that, just the minimum latest for the Prime's basic functions. That was version 20150826, which resolved a minor, nagging issue with tuners not being found. So, I realize this is too late for you to revert, but keep it in mind for the future - never update if all is going well. FYI, I'm still running Win7 WITHOUT ANY UPDATES; no issues. I recall reading a long time ago that you can revert the firmware by sending a command line command to the Prime, as they do for their commercial version. Unfortunately, I never saved that reference, mainly because I knew I would never update unless necessary. FYI, I also have a spare Prime from 2012, with original firmware of course, waiting to go in if one of my current ones craps out. Always think ahead!

2. I To resolve the Comcast issue, I switched to Dell 980 SFF with a Zotac GT710 ZT-71301-20L, $25 from Micro Center. I chose this card for its low profile and low power usage. I am 95% satisfied with this it. See my other posts on what issue remains. I also tried AMD 5450 without total success. Reading from other sites, Nvidia is more successful on this issue.

3. I do not use extenders so cannot comment on your woes there; I don't believe there is a solution to that. I use three identical setups as noted above, with common libraries. I do not have a need to watch DRM content on the PC that did not record it, so no need for extenders. of course, I can watch other recorded content easily.
artm

Migrated from HP 4420S, i5, Intel HD3000 to Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710 (thanks Comcast !)

Post#405 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 am

jjshdhrprime wrote:I am new and late to this thread. It seems Comcast and the latest firmware update for my HDhomerun prime has made my windows media center system a bunch of paper weighs.

For me, Hdhomerun_windows_20150826.exe was the most recent firmware that worked correctly with WMC, extenders, etc. I forget the file name of the firmware released the following spring (2016April-May?), but it did break my setup. I think I read somewhere that one of the newer firmware(s) is a one-way trip.....meaning....you can't go back.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#406 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes, once you upgrade the firmware on the HD Homerun Prime, there is no way to go back to an earlier version. However if you have problems with the newer firmware, you can contact Silicon Dust (or post on their forums) and they can either work with you to resolve the problem, or perhaps they can make a version of the old firmware for you that has a newer version number so that it can be flashed to your Prime (not sure if they do this).
Space

Post#407 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 am

I thought there were a couple members that upgraded to spring 2016, then went back to fall 2015. Did they start the One-Way trip in July 2016 or has it always been One-Way?

I have Hdhomerun_windows_20150826.exe if someone wants to try it.
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#408 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 am

It's always been one-way, it is a requirement of Cable Labs. This one-way firmware thing is only an issue for CableCard devices, the OTA devices do not have this limitation.

The 20150826 firmware is still available from the Silicon Dust website, you just need to know where it is...

https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 150826.exe

This is the firmware I have and it works perfectly, no need to upgrade to anything newer for use with WMC.
Space

Post#409 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:41 am

I wonder how Ceton got away with it, you could revert the firmware by uploading an old one and it seemed to be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyC

Post#410 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 am

Bummer about the One-Way. I agree August 2015 firmware does everything. Emby sends all 3 tuners to the truck. I gotta try that tomorrow...3 Chrome browsers all playing a different channel through 4G LTE

Guess I got lucky. I bought the HDHR shortly after 20150826, didn't know any better, allowed the update, then stopped allowing.

I guess If someone updates after 20150826 you might as well kiss WMC goodbye, get your checkbook out and say hello to the HDHR DVR
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#411 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 am

RyC wrote:I wonder how Ceton got away with it, you could revert the firmware by uploading an old one and it seemed to be fine

Routers aren't fussy, you can go new or old with them.

Echo was One-Way.
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#412 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 am

Crash2009 wrote:
RyC wrote:I wonder how Ceton got away with it, you could revert the firmware by uploading an old one and it seemed to be fine

Routers aren't fussy, you can go new or old with them.

Echo was One-Way.

I have no idea what you're talking about, the infiniTV allowed you to upload whatever firmware you wanted, old or new. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

FWIW, my Prime is on the latest 20161117 firmware and it works perfectly with WMC and the DVR project at the same time.
RyC

Post#413 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:12 am

Yes, I know about the InfiniTV. I was just pointing out that the Echo was One-Way, the HDHR is or (always was), and routers are the same as the InfiniTV (forward-backward-sideways)
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#414 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 am

RyC wrote:FWIW, my Prime is on the latest 20161117 firmware and it works perfectly with WMC and the DVR project at the same time.
So,what do you think the problem is in Post 403 ?
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#415 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:22 am

Crash2009 wrote:
RyC wrote:FWIW, my Prime is on the latest 20161117 firmware and it works perfectly with WMC and the DVR project at the same time.
So,what do you think the problem is in Post 403 ?

I'm at a loss, I watch exclusively using an Echo and 360 and non DRM comcast H.264 channels work fine as well. Maybe try reinstalling Windows?
RyC

Post#416 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 am

jjshdhrprime wrote:

Anyhow after discovering the DMA2200 no longer displayed half of my channels I thought time to upgrade my Hdhomerun prime to latest firmware, Big mistake. was running version 20141124 for 2 years, never a hitch, now running 20161117 and lots of problems. I was unaware of the Comcast switch and incompatibility of the DMA2200 to play h.264 until I started to research and found this thread. Also My dell can no longer play the protected content, audio, no video. Thanks Comcast. So I installed a GT630 video card which was suppose to fix that problem. Now I only get HD protected video, no other non HD protected video, and it locks up constantly. The ceton echo kind of works but it too locks up going from HD to non HD etc, etc.

1, DMA2200 cannot be updated
2, The Ceton echo, I have no idea what to do there. It worked great before the firmware upgade to the HDhomerun prime
3, The new video card does not seem to be helping
4, I cannot seem to get an answer from Silicon Dust if I can install the old firmware on my HDhomerun prime to get it working better. I called three days ago, no response. also I cannot find any way of doing it online in the various forums I am now researching.

It sounds like the firmware of the (HDHR-3CC I presume) cannot be reverted to the older firmware. If that is true, only one choice on that one....Buy a new one (with old firmware) and dont let it update. Then rebuild your system to what it was.
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#417 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 am

Crash2009 wrote:...
It sounds like the firmware of the (HDHR-3CC I presume) cannot be reverted to the older firmware. If that is true, only one choice on that one....Buy a new one (with old firmware) and dont let it update. Then rebuild your system to what it was.

The only choice? What about working with Silicon Dust to resolve the problem with the newer firmware? I think that Silicon Dust is still supporting their product as far as I know. But maybe they have been too distracted by their own DVR to work on WMC related issues?
Space

Post#418 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:50 am

Crash2009 wrote:It sounds like the firmware of the (HDHR-3CC I presume) cannot be reverted to the older firmware. If that is true, only one choice on that one....Buy a new one (with old firmware) and dont let it update. Then rebuild your system to what it was.

only one choice comes to my mind

Thanks for keeping me honest Space....You never know who is reading...Wouldn't want anyone to think there is only one way to "Skin a Cat".

Working with SD wouldn't be an option for me, it appears to me that SD considers WMC (EOL) and that makes us (SOL). Good business sense, If you are going to kiss a__, you might as well kiss the one that can do you the most good for you.
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#419 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 am

Huh. I never realized that an update would break WMC and extenders. I have two primes running 20160328atest2 since it was released without any WMC problems W/Comcast. I currently have 4 dedicated Win 7 WMC machines sharing a 20tb library as well as two Xbox 360s as extenders. I tried my Ceton echo due to general sluggishness. All of machines have access to all 6 tuners via tuner salad, but most of the recording is done on a single machine.

I also have two win 10 machines successfully running WMC for over a year W/ minor issues. It is not as stable as win 7 WMC.

Should I expect them to fill at some point due to running the 2016 firmware? I guess I shouldn't update again? I have no plans to give up on WMC until it is unusable. I donated to HDHR DVR, but realty only to help keep the company almost.
CBRworm

Post#420 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm

What's your status viewing/recording Comcast DRM channels?

What video card are you running?
artm

PreviousNext

Return to XBOX & Legacy Extenders