Poll: What do you think of "Under the Dome"?

What do you think of Under the Dome?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 am

I love it!
No votes
It's OK, and I'll keep watching it.
57%
It's so-so, and I don't think it will make it for a whole season.
43%
I hate it.
No votes

Total votes: 7

bmblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bmblank » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:40 pm

I thought junior touched the dome with the flashlight in his hand.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 pm

bmblank wrote:I thought junior touched the dome with the flashlight in his hand.
He got close, but I don't think he touched it. The reporter lady warned him before he touched it. The destruction of the flashlight added to the drama... they had to get out of the tunnels with only matches.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm behind and have just watched that episode. Junior did touch the dome first; he walked into it, then it started to wiggle, he dropped it and it exploded. Then he started to pound on the dome.

I haven't seen any Win8 tablets yet, but I have seen an above average number of Nokia Lumia's. By "above average", I of course mean "more than zero". ;)
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

micallen

Post by micallen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:40 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
bmblank wrote:I'm not sayin the plot line is flawless, but all the electronics that blew up were in contact with the person at the same time the person was in contact with the dome. I don't think he had the tablet when he touched the dome, then when he did have it he never touched the dome.
I'm just going by memory, i could easily be wrong, and if i am... So be it.
Nope, you're wrong. Junior's flashlight exploded while he wasn't touching it or the dome. It started to wiggle in his hand (!) when he got CLOSE to the dome, and finally exploded after he dropped it. But the new sheriff's fiance's tablet didn't do anything, even when he placed it within inches of the dome.
Perhaps the dome doesn't have the same affect to those on the outside.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm

OK, I've watched the next episode now. The fireman with the Surface tablet touches the dome before you see him with the Surface. But, because there is a cut in between, you can't be certain if he was/wasn't holding it when he touched the dome. When he is clearly holding the Surface, he doesn't touch the dome.

What I did notice is that no ones watches have been exploding. Big Jim did take his watch off before touching the dome, but in the scene immediately before that Barbie had touched it with his watch still on. Last I checked, no one wears a purely mechanical watch anymore.

In some more product placement I saw one of the kids with a blue HTC 8X, like mine. Though I'm not sure why his was picking up AT&T signal from inside the dome, or Marketplace notifications.

--EDIT--

That same kid touches the dome at the end of the episode. Was his phone in his pocket?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Guys...exploding Microsoft/Windows products wouldn't make for good product placement....simple as that. We all know that's the case, so you can stop trying to find logic in it :) It's either this or Honey Boo Boo, so let's just stick it out till fall premieres/seasons come around. That said, how did it get picked up for a season, I dunno/don't care. I won't be watching once the other shows come back on

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh, and the blast damage from that missile strike was all wrong for a whole heap of reasons...

Yeah, it's a programme to watch only after disengaging the brain!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Ever heard of "suspension of disbelief"? It is required for watching this show.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Oh, and did I mention the girl who was locked in the bomb shelter (by Junior)? She wasn't too interesting... until she started running around with all her "stuff" bouncing around. Now... she's hot!

She jiggles in all the right places.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

I like the sci fi shows/movies that work themselves into real life events, or give a possible explanation. The only example i can think of right now is x men first class, where they're worked into the Cuban missile crisis. I think a good sci fi movie makes the viewer wonder, if only briefly, if there isn't some huge conspiracy hiding the truth and the movie is a plausible explanation.

That being said, the dome doesn't offer any of this.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 am

I've caught up now, well until tonight's show anyway, and in this episode the kid gets his phone out, from the back it's an iPhone and on the front close up it's a HTC 8X. Was the sponsorship deal only signed part way through filming?

micallen

Post by micallen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:28 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Oh, and did I mention the girl who was locked in the bomb shelter (by Junior)? She wasn't too interesting... until she started running around with all her "stuff" bouncing around. Now... she's hot!

She jiggles in all the right places.
Like button

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:05 pm

I can't figure out why, but Under the Dome always stops recording half way through. Even if I watch the episode live, the recording will crap out half way through. Has anyone had this happen on any show?