2 Broke Girls

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 Broke Girls

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 pm

What do you all think of "2 Broke Girls"?

I started recording it from the first episode of the first season. I watched 2 or 3 of them, and it was definitely not very funny. I never cancelled the series recording, because I was hoping it would get better. I really wanted to like it. Last night, I was looking for something "different" to watch, so I watched the most recent two episodes. It hasn't improved.

I read some reviews where people are bashing the show for using too much sexual, racial, and bodily-function type humor. I actually like that kind of humor, but the two girls' delivery of the lines is terrible, and the writing isn't much better. Most reviews were positive though, and several compared it to "Friends". I loved "Friends", but this show is no comparison.

Am I missing something here? Did I just happen to catch the only 4 or 5 bad episodes?

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 pm

No. Its not an Emmy winner or anything. (emmys are for tv shows, aren't they?) Its mildly entertaining. Perch enough to keep one busy for 20 minutes, assuming comskip. They're not to bad on the eyes either, that's probably half of the appeal. Again, not super hot, but enough to keep one entertained for a time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, the blonde is pretty hot. The brunette isn't, but it looks like she's lost weight since the first episode. I managed to get a couple of chuckles out of each episode, but it isn't funny enough to have survived for a 2nd season. I really like "The Neighbors". I didn't like Guys With Kids either. I stopped recording it after the 2nd episode.

My wife has turned me on to Tosh.0. It's very funny... and he's a local kid... he grew up just about 30 miles north of here.

[Moderator note: Tosh.0 comments moved here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =74&t=4455]

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I watch 2 Broke Girls, but it's not "must see TV". The delivery is definitely more like Stand-Up comedy than many other shows, but that might be part of what makes it watchable - you get the impression that the characters are in on the joke. And the 2 main characters are surprisingly likeable.

I also enjoyed "Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23", another blonde/brunette mismatched room-mates sit-com, but it looks like it's been kicked to the kerb.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:45 pm

foxwood wrote:I watch 2 Broke Girls, but it's not "must see TV". The delivery is definitely more like Stand-Up comedy than many other shows, but that might be part of what makes it watchable - you get the impression that the characters are in on the joke. And the 2 main characters are surprisingly likeable.

I also enjoyed "Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23", another blonde/brunette mismatched room-mates sit-com, but it looks like it's been kicked to the kerb.
I never heard of "Don't Trust the B..." I must have missed that one. I just don't understand how a show like 2 Broke Girls survived when shows like Pan Am, The Playboy Club, Terra Nova, and 666 Park Avenue got the axe. I realize those shows aren't in the same genre as 2 Broke Girls and Guys With Kids... but I liked them for various reasons and they got canned.

Pan Am had nostalgia, hot women, and mystery. It was pretty good. Not great, but good.
The Playboy Club... ditto.
Terra Nova: Cool concept. I loved this show!
666 Park Avenue was spooky and fun. I liked it. And, the woman across the street, who kept undressing in front of her window... I would have watched the show just for her!

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 pm

There are only two reasons to watch that show and it's not the jokes or writing.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: I just don't understand how a show like 2 Broke Girls survived when shows like Pan Am, The Playboy Club, Terra Nova, and 666 Park Avenue got the axe.
You could probably make a whole season of 2 Broke Girls for the cost of a single episode of any of those dramas. I'm not sure that it's got what it takes, but half hour comedies that last a couple of seasons end up in constant re-run in syndication, which (I hear) can bring in a lot of money on the long run. Serial dramas, that can't easily be watched out of order, don't sell into that market, so they need to be something that an audience will watch a complete season of, not just an isolated episode.

I've pretty much given up on dramas from the Big 3 - if you want a series that won't be cancelled in mid season, stick with TNT, FX, and the USA network!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 pm

LuckyDay wrote:There are only two reasons to watch that show and it's not the jokes or writing.
well.....4 reasons.

But I love 2 Broke Girls. It was funny from the very first scene of the pilot (loved the Coldplay joke). Maybe it's just me; I love NY women with attitude.

I also found it fascinating how Beth Behrs gets to play a real woman, not the ditzy airhead pampered blonde that you would expect. Of course, to hammer that home they used the Peach character as contrast--and it worked.

Garrett Morris is the cherry on top. I'm glad he found something to do.

I just hope they haven't killed off Candy Andy for good. That was a great character, well written and well acted.

I have to say, this season I've run across a couple episodes that are noticeably less engaging. But then, it's tough to make 100% of the shots you take.

I will miss it when it's gone, but for now I'm enjoying it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:56 pm

foxwood wrote:I've pretty much given up on dramas from the Big 3 - if you want a series that won't be cancelled in mid season, stick with TNT, FX, and the USA network!
I get your point, but original shows from TNT, FX, and USA just don't have the same budget or quality of acting. I'm recording Covert Affairs on USA. The acting is so-so (but at least it's better than Horatio on CSI Miami... he's more of a "ham" than William Shatner), but man... that woman is HOT.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:07 pm

adam1991 wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:There are only two reasons to watch that show and it's not the jokes or writing.
well.....4 reasons.

But I love 2 Broke Girls. It was funny from the very first scene of the pilot (loved the Coldplay joke). Maybe it's just me; I love NY women with attitude.

I also found it fascinating how Beth Behrs gets to play a real woman, not the ditzy airhead pampered blonde that you would expect. Of course, to hammer that home they used the Peach character as contrast--and it worked.

Garrett Morris is the cherry on top. I'm glad he found something to do.

I just hope they haven't killed off Candy Andy for good. That was a great character, well written and well acted.

I have to say, this season I've run across a couple episodes that are noticeably less engaging. But then, it's tough to make 100% of the shots you take.

I will miss it when it's gone, but for now I'm enjoying it.
Hmmm... It took me a couple of seconds to get your joke about "4 reasons". At first, I was thinking... "What other two actors is he referring to?" Now I get it... they come in pairs. The blonde has a great body... I LOVE her legs and back side. Hate the hair style, but I'm sure that was not her choice, based on the pictures I see when I do an image search on her name. I didn't know any of their names until you mentioned them.

Maybe I'll have to watch the pilot again. I don't like Coldplay. NY women with attitude? Neither of them sounds like they are from NY. Transplants at best. I could believe that the blonde (Beth Behrs) might have moved to NY from CA, but if the brunette's character is to be believed... then she should have grown up there.

Garrett Morris is VERY funny. He should have his own show... or possibly a stand-up comedy act on Comedy Central. The Asian guy (don't know his name)... not very funny, but he's a supporting character, so I get it.

I'll give it a few more tries before I delete all of them. I just can't stand the "acting" of the two girls.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
foxwood wrote:I've pretty much given up on dramas from the Big 3 - if you want a series that won't be cancelled in mid season, stick with TNT, FX, and the USA network!
I get your point, but original shows from TNT, FX, and USA just don't have the same budget or quality of acting. I'm recording Covert Affairs on USA. The acting is so-so (but at least it's better than Horatio on CSI Miami... he's more of a "ham" than William Shatner), but man... that woman is HOT.
Justified, Suits, White Collar, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight (finished last year), Southland (cancelled by NBC after one season, picked up by TNT, with season 5 starting next week). Maybe it's just me, but I find the acting on all of them better than the acting on Blue Bloods and Vegas (two major network shows that I watch, and usually enjoy). The writing is just as sharp, and I'm more interested in the quality of the story being told than the mechanics of how it's told (within reason). Grimm is another big 3 show that I didn't think I'd enjoy quite as much as I do, but it feels more like a USA/TNT show than an NBC show.

I'm still recording Covert Affairs, but I don't think we ever got around to watching the current season - Burn Notice has all the same chases, explosions and "spy craft" but all set in Miami, rather than in exotic locations around the world.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 pm

After being spoiled by dramas on HBO for so long it's hard to get into a lot of the network stuff, but I do like some of them. Justified and Burn Notice are really good. Sons of Anarchy I never got back around to watching after the first few but seemed good also.

Stuff like The Wire, Oz, Deadwood, and Game of Thrones just blow these out of the water IMO. I know it's a budget (and lack of censor) thing, and I don't fault the network shows for that, I just don't have enough time to watch everything and HBO gets most of my attention in that genre.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Justified is an exceptional show; whether it was on cable or network or premium TV.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 pm

staknhalo wrote:Justified is an exceptional show; whether it was on cable or network or premium TV.
Yeah, Justified is one of the best shows going on any channel right now. There are some great dramas on network sometimes too. You just don't get a show like that as often on networks or even cable as much as you do on the premium channels.

A good example of a network drama that was up to par with cable was Life from a few years ago.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 am

I'll see your TNT/FX/USA stuff and raise you H50, Vegas, Blue Bloods, and especially Person Of Interest.

I win.

The big three networks, when they want to, produce some awesome stuff. The minor leagues can't hope to compete.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:30 am

adam1991 wrote:
well.....4 reasons.
2 large reasons <> 4 reasons. Stifler's mom FTW!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 am

adam1991 wrote:
I'll see your TNT/FX/USA stuff and raise you H50, Vegas, Blue Bloods, and especially Person Of Interest.

I win.
In your dreams! I mentioned both Blue Bloods and Vegas already as examples of particularly "wooden" acting in big 3 dramas - I watch both of them, and like them, but I can't help feeling that they're "too big to fail", and I wouldn't really miss them if they were cancelled. Blue Bloods sometimes seems more like a daytime soap than a weekly drama - the writing is not impressive. Vegas has some promising characters but it feels a bit threadbare - there isn't really time to do the gangster story and the Lamb family story and solve a "crime of the week" in a 40 minute episode, so none of the threads is really done well.

Elementary, Castle, The Good Wife, The Mentalist are all big 3 shows that I rate far above Person of Interest (I'd probably have deleted that by now, but my better half likes it).

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am

adam1991 wrote:
I'll see your TNT/FX/USA stuff and raise you H50
I just realized that that wasn't a typo - you mean Hawaii 50? Didn't even make it to the end of season 1. Lame and Lamer drive muscle cars in an exotic location while reading old Larry, Moe and Curly scripts.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:53 am

I honestly couldn't even begin to make a list of shows I'd rather watch than the network dramas, it would be too long. Boardwalk, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Homeland, Breaking Bad. I will think of more as soon as I hit submit on this post.

I will say though that I'm not a fan of the weekly Crime/whodunit shows in general, and that's one thing the big 3 do well. I will occasionally watch Castle or Bones in repeats, but I don't get into many others. Lie to Me was pretty good too the times I caught it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Justified. A friend at work recommended it a while back and I forgot to schedule it to record. It's all set now.

I like Homeland, Breaking Bad, Elementary, Person of Interest, Grimm, and several of the other shows that have been mentioned here. I'm looking for a good comedy though.