Problems with Pulse-Eight HDMI CEC adapter

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
JonDeutsch

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problems with Pulse-Eight HDMI CEC adapter

Post by JonDeutsch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:54 am

Hello,

I purchased the HDMI CEC adapter so that I could fully control my WMC HTPC with my new TV's remote.

I've installed all the latest drivers and apps, and while the basics do work (up, down, left, right), all the transport controls (play, pause, FF, RW, Skip Forward, Skip Back) do not work at all.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to fix?

I've tried looking at EventGhost as a way around the problem, but I get errors when installing the CECLib plug-in. :(

Help???

Thx!
Jon

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:06 am

It's possible your TV doesn't pass those commands over HDMI. It would be much cheaper and simpler to simply get a universal remote. You can get a really good one for one third of the price of that adapter. Such a remote would control every aspect of your entire home theater.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out the libCEC thing before you can go any farther.

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:15 am

mdavej wrote:It's possible your TV doesn't pass those commands over HDMI. It would be much cheaper and simpler to simply get a universal remote. You can get a really good one for one third of the price of that adapter. Such a remote would control every aspect of your entire home theater.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out the libCEC thing before you can go any farther.
The TV is passing the commands. It's just what the commands are mapped to on my PC are not triggering the events. When I go into the tray app and try to change what commands the TV remote events trigger to ones that I know work like (arrow left), even they are not triggering.

The whole point of going this route is to combine my TV and WMC remote into a single interface. I'm very close. This is the last piece of the puzzle!

Thx.
Jon

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:18 am

OK, I don't know what happened, but now I think I'm in trouble.

So, suddenly, the Pulse Eight transport controls are now kind of working. Not perfectly, but they are working with the original TV remote. Oddly, they are not working when the exact same commands are loaded into my Universal Remote (Harmony 880).

But the more concerning development is that my IR receiver for Win 7 is no longer controlling WMC! I can ONLY control WMC via CEC. Yesterday, I could use the Win 7 IR receiver as required, and some of the CEC commands via TV remote. Today, I am unable to get any "normal" IR commands to control WMC!

What did I do? What can I do to return WMC back to normal where it responds to IR commands?

Any help appreciated... I'm kind of freaking out now because my little experiment with CEC has now cost me a system that I simply cannot control at all via remote.

Thx.
Jon

PS - I uninstalled EventGhost in case that was the culprit. Didn't help. I tried removing the Pulse-Eight Device from my environment. Didn't help. The IR driver in Devices is fine - it's installed and has the driver assigned to it as normal.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Did you ever figure this thing out? I got the adapter for my nuc and I can't use channel up on my remote

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:13 am

I had to reinstall event ghost but remove all plugins.